Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi, I am wondering how long after surgery are we still at risk for a leak? can it happen months after surgery? do we have to worry our entire lifetime? is there every a time when we can feel safe?

I am 17 months almost 18 months out and just spent 6 days in the hospital because my surgeon was worried that I had a leak...It was an ulcer and so I escaped that one....it can happen far out as well. Just not likely....

Most surgeons feel that you are risk free at about 9 months...

I of course have been an exception to most rules being that I have had one complication after another......You having the Lap Band there is more of a chance of it slipping then leaking... :)

Rj that is news to me...I had been informed that leaks are pretty much first. 6-8 weeks and the ones found a few months out are presumed to have gone undected. I was told I am not at risk for leaks anymore.

Rj that is news to me...I had been informed that leaks are pretty much first. 6-8 weeks and the ones found a few months out are presumed to have gone undected. I was told I am not at risk for leaks anymore.

Every surgeon seems to have a different idea about all the different aspects of WLS. When I went to the hospital last Sunday the first thing they did was put me on fluids and a heavy antibiotic in case of a leak. Now I also have a situation that is rare as well. I have a couple staples that have wiggled their way out of the scar tissue and are just dangling there...He has to go in and get them...It can cause other organs damage if left there and they dislodge...

I try to be different then all the rest of you have you not seen that in my experience....lol

oh no...I am sure you will soon be fine RJ. .even I thought leaks were detected EARLY...infact in hospital it self in the first 3 days...

still at risk is a bit scary...what precautions do we take I wonder.

all the best RJ...who was your surgeon...is he reputed...its not fair that you are having such complications.

oh no...I am sure you will soon be fine RJ. .even I thought leaks were detected EARLY...infact in hospital it self in the first 3 days...

still at risk is a bit scary...what precautions do we take I wonder.

all the best RJ...who was your surgeon...is he reputed...its not fair that you are having such complications.

I doubt very many people are at risk for leaks or any other complication. But me I started having difficulties from the get go.....I was the luck of the draw I think. It has nothing to do with my surgeon. Or my team..They have been there with me through it all...I thank god for them....

I was his first patient to ever go through anything like this...And from what I gather his last so far.....This has cost me dearly..But it could have cost me my life if I kept on the path I was on. So I view my team as miracle workers...And love them all to death......

If you are doing what you are supposed to do and have few complications I think you will not have to worry....Unless you abuse your sleeve by over eating or grazing constantly........:)

get well soon Jane...Sometimes we do have problems...I have been suffering too much due to arthritis...I am slightly hopeful now and am thinking my stars have changed for the better.

Earlier no treatment worked for me...but I hope the sleeve will help me in my journey to loose weight.

All the best. I am glad you have a wonderful team.

get well soon Jane...Sometimes we do have problems...I have been suffering too much due to arthritis...I am slightly hopeful now and am thinking my stars have changed for the better.

Earlier no treatment worked for me...but I hope the sleeve will help me in my journey to loose weight.

All the best. I am glad you have a wonderful team.

I think this was meant for RJ. I have been blessed with no complications.

very interesting. it never occurred to me that you could have a leak a year or so down the road. Yikes! that's a little spooky to me. rj.j. i admire you so much because you've kept a positive attitude through it all. here i am complaining because of a stall. gob bless you!