Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hoping for lap band to sleeve

my lap band has prolapsed and is unfixable. 2 upper gi's and no fill and no change. SO.....what i'm wondering is, has anybody on here went from band to sleeve and had any leaking like i've been reading or any other trouble switching to sleeve. I don't know if i'm a candidate for it but i'm sure going to try. I've had my band for 8 years now and this is the very first time i've ever had trouble with it. NO SYMPTOMS EVER!!!!! Just found it on a regular upper gi check up. took Fluid out 8 weeks ago and second gi showed no improvement so surgeon said it has to come out. NO chance of reposition due to the prolapse will happen again, it's just a matter of when and how bad it will be second time so he won't do it. would like to know if any complications going from lap band to sleeve?? HELP!! :unsure:

I am a band to sleeve revision. On Monday, I will be 6 weeks post-op. I had a band for 10 years. If you pull up my profile you can access my story. I explained all of my troubles before the sleeve surgery in that section. So far I have not had any complications and I am feeling really good now. I am back on a regular diet again. I worry about the leaking problems too so I try to follow the food plan and just hope that I don't feel any leaking symptoms. My surgery was done at one time. He removed the band, performed the sleeve procedure, and repaired a hiatal hernia. It's still pretty new to me. Maybe someone else can help you with your questions. Good luck to you.

How long does one have to always worry about a leak occurring? is there ever a time when you know you are in the clear? what has your dr told you about this? i hear a lot of different time frames regarding it.

I am a band to sleeve revision. On Monday, I will be 6 weeks post-op. I had a band for 10 years. If you pull up my profile you can access my story. I explained all of my troubles before the sleeve surgery in that section. So far I have not had any complications and I am feeling really good now. I am back on a regular diet again. I worry about the leaking problems too so I try to follow the food plan and just hope that I don't feel any leaking symptoms. My surgery was done at one time. He removed the band, performed the sleeve procedure, and repaired a hiatal hernia. It's still pretty new to me. Maybe someone else can help you with your questions. Good luck to you.

my lap band has prolapsed and is unfixable. 2 upper gi's and no fill and no change. SO.....what i'm wondering is, has anybody on here went from band to sleeve and had any leaking like i've been reading or any other trouble switching to sleeve. I don't know if i'm a candidate for it but i'm sure going to try. I've had my band for 8 years now and this is the very first time i've ever had trouble with it. NO SYMPTOMS EVER!!!!! Just found it on a regular upper gi check up. took Fluid out 8 weeks ago and second gi showed no improvement so surgeon said it has to come out. NO chance of reposition due to the prolapse will happen again, it's just a matter of when and how bad it will be second time so he won't do it. would like to know if any complications going from lap band to sleeve?? HELP!! :unsure:

Aww man!!!! I am so sorry!!! As you know I am in the same situation. They will only remove my band because my BMI is 23. No reversion to sleeve. :angry::( I have had my band for three years with no complications until I got a Tummy Tuck. I am soo disappointed!!!!! Keep informed on what they tell you.

thank you 1959JimmyJames. I won't find out anything till Wednesday but do know that there are not options other then the band has to come out. I don't know when he'll be able to do it cause I'm leaving for vacation to Vegas May 10th, kind of our 25th anniversary present to us and i've had this planned for 2 months and am NOT changing it due to my husband working off shore on the oil rigs and is only home for 4 weeks at a time. and that's another complication cause i can't have any kind of surgery unless he is home so he can help with the kids so this is going to be really difficult. I'm hoping maybe i can get this last 25 lbs off before it comes out but am going to talk to him about the sleeve. I'm 5 foot tall, very stocky built and all my fat is everywhere. kind of shaped like an apple so i really want to get this last 25 off. what i'm wondering though is will they even do the sleeve on me cause my bmi is 30.3 but it's still in the obese section so i'm hoping it will be an option. just sick over losing my band cause it's been working soo good for the last 8 years. like i said, they never would have found this if i hadn't fired my last dr cause he was an ass(sorry) and this new dr needed to know what band i had and how much Fluid was i it cause dr ass wouldn't tell him or give him my history. has anybody with a 30 bmi ever had the sleeve.

I had no complications going from Lap-band to sleeve. The procedure was done in one surgery and I had two days hospital stay. My doctor told me the chances of a leak are highest when your stomach is healing but the percentage is very low. Any time later, the doctor stated is theoretically possible but the chances are miniscule. Of course if any complications happen to you it's 100% chance, as I've read in this forum.

My surgery was 4 1/2 weeks ago, I'm eating soft food, and following instructions. I am very happy with my progress and would do this again.

Best of luck to you.

I had my band for 3 1/2 yr and it slipped. Tried conservatively to fix it until it finally herniated and had to come out. Had my revision 9 mths ago (bmi was 28). But my insurance paid for it cuz it was a complication. Had it done in 1 surgery. Had a rougher recovery cuz it took my dr an extra 30 mins to dig my band outa my stomach. Felt like I was run over by a semi for about 2 weeks. The bottle of liquid Vicodin was my best friend for about 12 days.

While I've heard that leaks happen more with revision than virgin sleevers, the occurrence is still really low. My dr told me that 98% of leaks happen the first week, after that they r extremely rare. I was so paranoid the first week. Every little pain I thought I had a leak. In fact, on day 5 I ended up in the ER for fear I had a leak. Turned out to be an allergic reaction to Reglan.

I'm now 9 mths out and haven't even thought about a leak since the first month. While I still have about 10 lbs to goal, I've been maintaining for about 5 mths - so I'm so happpy I had it done. Had I just had my band removed, I would've gained it all back. I know it.

Good luck. U have a better chance of getting in a car accident on ur way to the hospital than getting a leak. Plz don't sweat it. So very rare....

oh man, you guys have just given me some hope. please say a prayer for me that my dr will work with me and my insurance to get this done and ins will pay for procedure. i need this so much. i did everything i was told to try and save this band but it didn't work and my heart just broke. i go wednesday so hoping and praying for a good outcome.

marfar7 has given the best information so far about this issue, I think. My doctor said basically the same thing. I am afraid of a leak because it can kill you. The chances of leaks are very low and they are rare, but they do happen. The symptoms are almost flu like. Pain, vomiting, fever. You can't feel it leaking. The chances of leaks are greatest in the first month. They are the highest in the first week. I am six weeks post-op now so I am feeling better about it, but I will probably always think about it for the rest of my life. I am going to try to post a link here to a doctor's account of a patient that went through a leak and how they treated it. You can google this yourself. There is lots of good information about this.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/205979

Hello- I had my band since 2008 and had it removed Monday 4/14 - surgery was 7:30 am and i was released at 10:30 am...never needed a pain pill and was back to work on Wed. It really was amazingly easy & painless. My sleeve is scheduled for 5/19..My doctor will not do both at the same time..he feels the stomach needs time to heal and reshape itself in order to get the best possible sleeve and reduce risks of leaks etc.so he requires a 5-6 week waiting period ..I have read about some dr's who require an even longer waiting period - 3 to 6 months . I just wanted to tell you about my experience so you are not surprised or disappointed if your dr will not do both at one time...I was disappointed at first, but after some research I understand his reasoning & feel the waiting will be worth it .. Best of luck to you!

thank you so much to all of you. You really don't know how much i appreciate you taking the time out to give me info. I LOVE this website and all of you that have helped me. I have come to the comclusion that if he wants to wait and let my stomach heal that will be fine with me if it reduces my risk of a leak. It's now 10:40 here and still waiting for me to call to let me know what time to come in Wednesday. I'm really nervous that he won't want to do the sleeve cause my bmi is 30.3 but keep in mind i am 5 foot tall and shaped like an apple. all my weight in in my midsection, back and arms but mostly stomach and back. I have had a Tummy Tuck but still need to lose this 25 lbs to get it off around my heart and insides.

i sure will. thank you again!!!