Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. I have become extremely irritated! I successfully completed my 6 month, physician monitored, diet program only to be told... I NEED TO LOSE 20% OF MY STARTING WEIGHT! Here's why it is frustrating: Continually, I verified with my surgeon that I would not have a specific amount of weight to lose. Over and over I asked him and always received the same "No, your insurance doesn't require it" for an answer. That excited me in the beginning. I was using the 6 months as a tool to ween off of all the stuff that has helped make and keep me fat(Carbonated beverages - Coca Cola specifically, sugar, excess carbs and CIGARETTES) as well as increasing healthier foods and beverages(CRAP ton of water). I began at 244lbs. I gained 7 lbs over the holidays that put me at my heaviest weight EVER of 251lbs. It took some gut wrenching cut backs, stopping of excuses but I managed to lose to 234lbs(total of 17lbs, but only 10 of which now counts)!! Well, after strainfully successfully completing the whole 6 months, I get a bomb dropped straight in my lap! Not only are my menial 10lbs nothing to brag about, but I am actually required to lose an additional 14 more!! WTF!!!! I exploded. "Why did you not tell me this in the beginning?" "I was slowly weening myself from bad things while increasing the good all the while believing the amount I lost was just a bonus, not a requirement!" Here it has been a single solitary month and I am at 228. I typically fluctuate between 228 and 226. Yes, I know that my PCOS does play a factor in the slow loss, but I can't help but be irritated. I drink a CRAP TON of Water every day, I eat no more than 30 total carbs, minimal fat and lots of lean Protein and veggies. I do indulge some days, but no binge eating. The worst part is late night snacking or not eating enough. How much more can I do or should I do to get these last pounds off?? I want my surgery! Could anyone recommend a caloric intake for a 27 yo fem, 5'3in at 218lbs? I need my surgery! I want my life to finally start! I want to be happy and know that I'm no longer one big failure. I want to rid my body of the cruel disease that is PCOS. I'm tired of the constant set backs. I need the help!

PLEASE HELP

Hi I was not required to loose any weight but my nurtritionist suggest that i try and loos e 20 pounds prior to surgery I have now lost 18 pounds and still will be loosing more once I go on the liver shrink diet one week prior to my surgery which is Ma7 19, I was told that the insurance company wants to see if your serious about losing weight and making the necessary changes for this surgery, even if you do not loose the totala mount of weight they want to see your effort, i felt the same way my 6 months turn into 9 and 1/2 months due t the long waiting list for my surgeon and it has been hard to maintain but I ma doing it, you need yo try and get in some exercise try walking everyday for at least 20 to 30 minutes, are you monitering your food with a dairy this was required and it really showed me what I am eating, you can do this, stay positive and focus, start writing what you are and the calorie intake, myfitness pay has help me a whole lot. good luck.

A lot of us use myfitnesspal is a great app to count ur intake... It will tell u what ur allowed to take in

Cupcake, I try to keep a diary in a traditional notebook(I'm afraid I wouldn't log into specific accounts each day. I know, I know, excuses, excuses.) I try to walk 20-30 mins 3 times per week. I suppose I will up it. I just gets so frustrating, as you know all too well, to get to that point and have to wait. Now that I'm actively trying, it just doesn't want to budge. I hope this isn't a foresight of things to come. Losing weight has never been a piece of cake due to the PCOS, but I never thought it would be this hard especially since I'm sticking with it and continually looking for more improvements.

is it just me, I do intend on checking out the myfitnesspal. Do they have an iphone app?

Thank you both so much!

I use My Fitness Pal on my iphone. It is a very nice tool. Sometimes I can't believe how many food items are in the data base. Yesterday I had a really bad day and at the end of the day when I pressed "finished logging for today", it said (not exact wording) if you continue to eat the way you did today in six weeks you will weigh 245. That's a gain of 7 pounds!

I really think the app will help. You program how much you want to loose and it will tell you how many calories to eat to achieve that goal. It even calculates sodium, carbs, fat etc.

Hang in there. You're almost there. Maybe try a couple Protein shakes each day and one healthy meal. Stay positive and remember everything you're doing will help with your recovery and your total pounds lost.

Good Luck.

Is this his requirement or the insurance company?

Honestly I would change surgeons if it's his requirement.

I'm in the same boat. I don't have specific numbers to lose, I just have to be smaller than I started at each consecutive weigh in. I'm not diabetic, so I know I'll be Protein Shakes and all green juice the last two weeks, maybe fish and greens for dinner. I'll definitely get a colonic or two. Desperate times..... I got a fitbit and upped my daily steps and stepped up the exercise. It's a necessary evil to get what you want ultimately. If the surgeon is not linked to your insurance, I'd also consider shopping around.

Firstly congrats on how far you have come already, to sacrifice and make changes is so hard especially when you have been enjoying the good life for so long. In my opinion during this stage, stop counting calories and concentrate on eating clean up until your pre op stage. Make super that you have no meal without lean Protein, never ever have carbs on their own. Make sure your eating gaps are around 2.5 - 3 hrs and no more coz you will go into starvation mode. Even if you have just some milk, have something like almonds with it. I think if you are not happy with your surgeon before hand, definitely get another, you need to know when you are on the table that you are 100% satisfied. Hope that helps

Paul

Ok. I have become extremely irritated! I successfully completed my 6 month, physician monitored, diet program only to be told... I NEED TO LOSE 20% OF MY STARTING WEIGHT! Here's why it is frustrating: Continually, I verified with my surgeon that I would not have a specific amount of weight to lose. Over and over I asked him and always received the same "No, your insurance doesn't require it" for an answer. That excited me in the beginning. I was using the 6 months as a tool to ween off of all the stuff that has helped make and keep me fat(Carbonated beverages - Coca Cola specifically, sugar, excess carbs and CIGARETTES) as well as increasing healthier foods and beverages(CRAP ton of water). I began at 244lbs. I gained 7 lbs over the holidays that put me at my heaviest weight EVER of 251lbs. It took some gut wrenching cut backs, stopping of excuses but I managed to lose to 234lbs(total of 17lbs, but only 10 of which now counts)!! Well, after strainfully successfully completing the whole 6 months, I get a bomb dropped straight in my lap! Not only are my menial 10lbs nothing to brag about, but I am actually required to lose an additional 14 more!! WTF!!!! I exploded. "Why did you not tell me this in the beginning?" "I was slowly weening myself from bad things while increasing the good all the while believing the amount I lost was just a bonus, not a requirement!" Here it has been a single solitary month and I am at 228. I typically fluctuate between 228 and 226. Yes, I know that my PCOS does play a factor in the slow loss, but I can't help but be irritated. I drink a CRAP TON of Water every day, I eat no more than 30 total carbs, minimal fat and lots of lean Protein and veggies. I do indulge some days, but no binge eating. The worst part is late night snacking or not eating enough. How much more can I do or should I do to get these last pounds off?? I want my surgery! Could anyone recommend a caloric intake for a 27 yo fem, 5'3in at 218lbs? I need my surgery! I want my life to finally start! I want to be happy and know that I'm no longer one big failure. I want to rid my body of the cruel disease that is PCOS. I'm tired of the constant set backs. I need the help!

PLEASE HELP

Hi MissersK,

I too have PCOS and understand your struggle. The only diet that works for me is extremely low carb. I can't get coverage for my surgery with my BMI, so I have to self-pay. If you can't switch surgeons, I would get motivated and get down whatever they ask so you can have the surgery covered by insurance. You mentioned you indulge some days-that's it right there. PCOS is unforgiving and doesn't allow for any indulgence. I see the effects of sugar and carbs on my stomach immediately. Follow an Atkins or South Beach two week diet (eliminate all carbs except certain veggies) and that should drop the weight you need and allow you to feel full (fat and Protein are filling). Or ask the surgeon, who expects this loss from you, for a weight loss plan and follow it. I understand your frustration but at the chance of having the surgery covered, I would follow whatever is asked to avoid paying for this for the next 4 years. Good luck to you; you can do this!! :)

Maggy's Mom, I literally installed the app yesterday! LOL. I plugged in my information and began my food journal of what I ate yesterday. I believe part of the problem is I am not getting enough to eat and therefore causing my body to store some fat.(typically either 2 Atkins carb cntl shakes or one shake and fruit for Breakfast, snack on fruit/nuts/veggies, then at work, i'll either eat a lean cuisine snack for lunch or have 1-2 shakes depending on the hunger pains, and then a sensible dinner - ie lean cuisine, lol). Here's to hoping I will continue logging my intake to keep me accountable! :)

Loveit2012, this is an insurance requirement. A requirement that I have had them verify numerous time and was always told I didn't have to lose a thing... Yeah. Frustrating!

MisforMimi, I have actually thought of going elsewhere, but am afraid that I would have to do it all over again. My surgeon actually performed my friends back in October(her insurance was easy to appease! she just had to have documentation that she had "tried" to lose) and did amazing. Smooth recovery and copious amounts of fat gone(we are talking from 300+lbs to 199-yesterday). I had built up comfort and trust just to have this chip away at it.

thesupportedhalf, thanks for the idea of concentrating on eating clean. I know Im in a hurry to get things done, but at what cost? I mean, I literally drink 2-4 Protein shakes per day(2 break fast, 2 for lunch) and then eat lean cuisine just trying to limit carbs and calories. I honestly feel like I'm starving. :(

WorldTraveler, PCOS is for the birds! LOL. I did say I indulge, but an indulgence for me now is the Atkins treat bars(the snickers type and mounds are delicious) but that's it. I do not allow myself to indulge on anything else. No ice cream, no nothing(I probably should've said that sooner). I honestly, after looking at myfitnesspal acct summary, don't believe I'm eating enough. I think I'm trying to restrict too much.. That and I must start exercising!

<THANK YOU ALL!

Hi yes my fitness pal works on the iPhone as well as ipad I use them daily , you can do this, we are all hear for you, please try and focus on one day at a time not tomorrow , or next week, this is what is getting me through this time, I know we ll want a quick fix, but remember we did not gain weight.over night it is a everyday struggle to do the right thing, we are all here for you and believe in you. Please. Feel free to add me. We all can help one another , this forum has been wonderful only the people here truly understand what we go through .i look forward to reading about your challenges, vents, happiness as well as achievements .

Cupcake, I sent ya a request. I do have some good news. Here it is Monday and by cutting out the evening snacking and logging my food into myfitness pal, I am now at 224 as of this morning! Whoop! 8 lbs to go. More would be welcomed! Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement in my time of need. I know no one ever said this process was going to be easy, and it sure hasn't, but I am beginning to learn to quit letting set backs be my excuse(s) to quit! Now if I could only find my motivation to get my toosh moving, I'd be set. LOL Again, thank you and best of luck of luck!

Cupcake, I sent ya a request. I do have some good news. Here it is Monday and by cutting out the evening snacking and logging my food into myfitness pal, I am now at 224 as of this morning! Whoop! 8 lbs to go. More would be welcomed! Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement in my time of need. I know no one ever said this process was going to be easy, and it sure hasn't, but I am beginning to learn to quit letting set backs be my excuse(s) to quit! Now if I could only find my motivation to get my toosh moving, I'd be set. LOL Again, thank you and best of luck of luck!

Good for you! Yay! Keep going! You are so close!

Thank you!! I actually just committed to doing a beach body challenge for Brazil Butt Lift. Will be starting May 15th. Now to do standard exercise till then. LOL

Missersk I'm glad your doing great ,I didn't see your request I'm going to try and add you as a friend now. Make sure you keep me posted, I'm doing good I just finished my last appointment with my surgeon and signed all hospital and final paperwork . I will be starting my liver shrink diet on 5/ 12-19 when I have surgery.