Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Naproxen

I am using Naproxen 500MG for pain and to reduce the inflamation in my back. I have started and stopped taking the Naproxen twice because I have a hard time keeping solid food down. I have never had this problem in the past, has anyone taken Naproxen and had a similar experience? I normally take it with about 8OZ of milk and yogurt.

If my memory serves me correctly Naproxen is a NSAID

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug

I was told by my surgeon to not take these kinds of pain meds due to it can cause irritation to the lining of the stomach and can "possibly" cause erosion. I have never had any stomach problems pre band taking NSAIDS but I would not want to try it in case I have problems with irritaion in my stomach now that I'm banded. I now only take Tylenol. Maybe the dosage of 500 mg is too much for you now that you are banded. Did you surgoen OK the NSAID's..did he tell you it was OK to take NSAID"s after banding? I would check with your surgeon. My surgeon told me NO so I'm not risking it ( every doc has such different instructions)...I use to live on ADVIL & MOTRIN pre band

Michelle, I don't recall my doctor mentioning anything about taking specific medications. I have emailed my surgeon, in the meantime I have contacted my ortho doctor for some other medication.

Butta, I take Celebrex for arthritis. Some days I just hurt too bad and have to take it. My Band Surgeon advised me to take a Prevacid (prescription to protect my stomach) BEFORE I take a Celebrex.

Best of luck to you and please be careful!:D

My doc also advised against it...

Just for the record, those drugs can be tough on the stomach in two way:

1) after banding, the drug often sits in a smaller upper stomach (pouch) until it dissovles and so a higher concentration of the drug has contact with stomach tissue; and

2) ANY TIME, one of the things that NSAIDS do, is to lesssen the mucosal lining of the stomach. The mucosal lining is what keeps the stoamch acids from eating through the stomach tissue. So they are critical.

I am so glad to read this post. I came here tonight to specifically ask about anti-inflam. med's.

What about motrin???

The 600mg (and higher) has a coating to protect the stomach. Is it safe to take?

Motrin ( Ibuprofen )and naproxen both belong to the nsaid class and and in my opinion are bad news for the stomach. The drugs are acidic in nature and have been known to cause peptic ulcers and gi bleeds. They are even more riskier for banded patients because an ulcer formed from using nsaids could potentially result in band erosion.

Make sure to read labels on all your pain meds because a lot of them are the forbidden NSAIDs (anti inflammatories) like Advil and Motrin/Ibuprofin.

Thanks for information.

My doctor suggested removing the Fluid from the band if I needed to continue taking the Naproxen. My ortho doctor suggested vioox, but I haven't taken anything in a few days and have experienced only moderate pain. Hopefully I will last a few more days and then I will get a cortisone injection. It's been about 2 years since the last one, but the pain went away immediately. Hopefully another 10 or 20 lbs and I won't have to worry about an aching back any longer. A friend suggested Glucosamine in liquid form, but I'm not sure if it will help. Any one familiar with Glucosamine?

Butta

Ask your doctor about transdermal formulas. A compounding formulary pharmacy can make Patches or gels that transfer the medications through the skin, thereby eliminating the stomach problems. I know that ketoprofen is one of the nsaids that can be delivered in this manner. I'm not sure which others are suitable for this method. Check with your pharmacist.

Wow, Neicy. That's pretty impressive. How do you know about these Patches? I may need one - I had a motorcycle fall on me today! And it was the instructor's fault. I'm pretty sore and may need a foot x-ray depending how I feel in the morn.