Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Naproxen

I was a Tylenol girl pre-band, but sometimes I need something stronger. How about Percocet? Is that a band no-no?

I always answered "no" to any allergies at the doctor. But now it says in red pen that I'm allergic to NSAIDS, just in case I forget.

Percocet contains oxycodone(opoid analgesic ) + tylenol. It is certainly safe on the stomach but may lead to dependence ( it is a schedule II narcotic). It can cause some nausea but it does not damage the stomach. Tramadol is a safe analgesic that has lower abuse potential, but will require a prescription but it is not scheduled yet ( unlike darvocet, lortab, or percocet) Many doctors will write for this drug instead of the opoids because of the lowered risk for abuse.

My surgeon gave me tramadol for post-banding pain. I didn't have any stomach trouble with it. But I second all the other posts about NSAIDs. Be careful.

Butta, first I gotta say it's great to see another Chicagoan here. Second, you asked about glucosamine. My only experience with it is, ahem, veterinary. My last dog was a severely arthritic Labrador who gained a lot of mobility with glucosamine supplements, which allowed her to swim again. My current dog, a Lab mix, has mild arthritis, and is on gluc. supplements to help prevent her condition from worsening.

I'm not sure if glucosamine was discovered by MDs first -- or if a desperate arthritic vet decided to take his dog's pills one day, figuring they couldn't hurt. And I don't know how well glucosamine works in the two-legged world. But my four-legged friends got some relief with it.

Zoe, nice to see someone other than me that goes to a vet instead of a doctor! You missed my post several months ago when I had an infected incision. Kitty had a vet appointment, so while I was there I lifted my shirt and showed the vet my infection. She's the one that diagnosed my problem and told me I needed to have the pustule lanced and packed, so she sent me off to Urgent Care. I asked her to do it, but she said that would be illegal, but I'd trust my vet before my doctor any day. Glad to know our fur babies are in good hands!

It is my understanding that glucosamine proved itself effective in the veterinary field first. I mean, have you ever heard of a bull having a total hip replacement? lol Veterinary docs are awesome!

Marie, the Patches only work where you put them. Sounds like you have several areas that give you grief. I have large knots on some of my knuckles, but thankfully they don't hurt yet.

Pre Banding I had all kinds of knee and back issues. I was taking Ibuprofen like candy and got minimal relief. I ended up with stomach problems "pre-ulcer" so my doc put me on prevacid then prilosec OTC which helped prevent the ulcer from the ibuprofen.

I stopped taking the Ibuprofen for the knee and back pains and started taking Glucosamine Chrondroitin. That worked miracles for my arthritic aches and pains. Almost overnite I felt relief and it did not bother my stomach.

Post Banding I am off all meds for the arthritis at this point. I might have to take them again down the road but at least I know the GC works for me now.

Good to know. I have an autoimmune disease called Sarkoidosis. I don't know much about it, but I think I'm quite sure I'll suffer from osteoarthritis. I should start taking GC now. I had my dog on it for awhile, so maybe we'll both share.

DeLarla, if you don't have insurance to cover drugs, getting the doggy supplements may be cheaper than an MD's prescription. In addition the usual pet stores, some online sites (Drs. Foster & Smith, etc.) sell gluco/chondroitin combos in bulk. Not sure about that liver flavor, though!

I agree completely with your comment about vet care. My cancer-ridden Labrador got much more compassionate treatment than my cancer-ridden father did.

I don't know if I posted this previously, but my dog takes heart medication (analapril). He needed a refill and I wasn't going to be able to get to the vet's office before closing, so the vet said she could call the script in to my regular pharmacy. I nearly fainted dead away when I went to pick it up. It was going to cost more than $50 more than the same prescription costs at the vet's. I bought one pill and went to my vet's for the rest the next day. Oh, and my dog's cardiologist calls me about once a month to ask how he's doing. Ever heard of a people doctor doing that?

Nancy

Originally posted by Penni60

I stopped taking the Ibuprofen for the knee and back pains and started taking Glucosamine Chrondroitin. That worked miracles for my arthritic aches and pains.

Penni, is this found in the Vitamin stores or do you have to get a script for it?

Thanks to all for the info on Glucosamine. A friend of mines said she was suffering from knee and it gave her relief. I think I will try the liquid form.

BTW Zoe, Were you banded by Dr Shayani @Loyola?

Butta

Nope -- see my signature info below. I tried to get in touch with Dr. S's Loyola office regarding aftercare, but they never returned my call.