Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my bras weren't fitting very well (I wasn't filling them out), so I went in for a fitting. I lost two sizes around, but increased the cup size from C to D! I'm confused - have they changed the standards?

It's relative. The cup size is the difference between the band size and the size around the largest point. For example if your band size is 32 and you are 36" around at the largest point that's a 4" difference which equates to a D cup I believe (I could be wrong about the inch to cup translation) So therefore if your band size went down your cup size could go up if the difference went up.

That is true about cup being the difference between band and fullest point. There is also the possibility that you were wearing the wrong cup before. That's pretty common from what I understand from what I learned on one of those Oprah's Bra shows back in the day :D

Yeah, I had to do a bra fitting, too, and it really surprised me. Last time I was this weight (8 yrs ago) I was a 34 B. Now I'm a 34 D. Unfortunately, I'm also a 34 Long LOL.

It's relative. The cup size is the difference between the band size and the size around the largest point. For example if your band size is 32 and you are 36" around at the largest point that's a 4" difference which equates to a D cup I believe (I could be wrong about the inch to cup translation) So therefore if your band size went down your cup size could go up if the difference went up.

Thanks! This probably explains it.

Yeah, I had to do a bra fitting, too, and it really surprised me. Last time I was this weight (8 yrs ago) I was a 34 B. Now I'm a 34 D. Unfortunately, I'm also a 34 Long LOL.

34 Long! Isn't that the truth!!!

Ladies,

I alas am also an "L" in the ta-ta area. I guess my big belly was in the way before? Now they hang down low, travel to a fro--if I'm now wearing a bra ; >--

Well, I wouldn't trade my two "L's" for what I had before any day!

Have a good one.

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd

I got a fitting after I lost the first 40 lbs and was wearing the same bra minus 35 lbs since then and it did not fit. I went for a fitting today and what a difference. I am now a 34DD. I didn't even know that size exsisted! I had to get what they call a demi-cup because my "droopy boobs" are not as full on top and a regular bra is baggy on top. I actually was having upper back pain and today, with the right fitting bra, my back feels better, so the "girls" are definately happier. I also have had trouble finding a sports bra, and finally found one that fits and I can get into without torturing myself. A good fitting bra is $$$. So while the "girls" are happy, my wallet is not!

Me too, Idairene, I am much more comfortable, but the cost is amazing! I started hand washing my bras to make them last longer - though I will probably change size again so may not be worth the trouble!

So, my bras weren't fitting very well (I wasn't filling them out), so I went in for a fitting. I lost two sizes around, but increased the cup size from C to D! I'm confused - have they changed the standards?

Same thing here bra size down to a 38 and cup up to DD.

Me too, Idairene, I am much more comfortable, but the cost is amazing! I started hand washing my bras to make them last longer - though I will probably change size again so may not be worth the trouble!

I just put mine in one of those net bags and wash on cold. I think it's heat that makes elastic lose its oomph. So I air dry them-- don't put them in the dryer.

I found out that some of my bras look pretty new, but the band is stretched. My 36Cs were not fitting right... too loose and the cup sorta floated around. I got measured and i belong in either 36d or 36DD. the band on my bras had some stretch which is why I thought they were too big.

Where does one go to have a bra fitting? The sales people I've encountered - when I can even find one - do not seem to know much about the merchandise so I doubt they'd know how to do a fitting.

Also, since I'm also in the "long" category - how would they measure accurately? I mean, when I have a good bra it bunches them up higher on my chest, and I'm sure the measurement at that altitude would be different than when they're just hanging there.

Got a bra fitting last weekend. Went from 48dd to a 44d. Getting thinner!

Nordstrom's is a good place to go for a fitting.

They also carry an extensive selection as well and will give you full service with the fitting, bringing you several different selections to try and will get you any other sizes/colors etc. Zero hassle experience.

At forty pounds down, I went to a foundation shop. I live in a Chicago suburb and had to travel about 15 miles to Berwyn, but it was worth the trip. I had no idea what size I was anymore, and my boobies are deflated now. I guess it was the fat that was keeping them up there. But because of the price ($40) and the fact that I still have a ways to go with my weight loss, I only bought one. I am used to buying my clothing at Walmart, and have never paid more tha $10 for a bra - ever. When I get closer to goal, my daughters want me to venture into a Kohl's, Macy's, or Nordstrom. Talk about fear of the unknown!