Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about preop liquid diet

My doctor wants me on a week long CLEAR liquid diet a week before surgery and two weeks after. That would not include Protein Shakes. I am concerned about excess hunger and what a lack of Protein for that long will do to my body. Did anyone else have this same diet? Is it probable that I missed something at my last appointment and therefore need to call him? A little worried I'm going to screw this up....

it is normal. in your liquids you will be allowed broth and stock which has Protein. your doctor is allowing the time your surgery needs to heal. you will have sutures that hold your band and port in place. we have an excess so that short of time you will not be harmed. if you ask him anything ask about chewable Multi Vitamins and Calcium you should be taking. be ready with everything you will need post surgery. make sure you have teas, crystal lite or similar, broth, stock,sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. good luck and use us for all your concerns. a lot of ppl are glad to help. oh and you likely won't be to hungry. you just drink more and something hot is more satisfying.

lecouch just for your information...it will be a bit difficult pre-op, but I know once I had my surgery (my journey-I know maybe not yours) I wasn't really hungry those first 2 weeks...so the liquids were fine with me. Some on here although had different results. so just know there is a possibility that you might be hungry. I was only on Clear Liquids for 1 week after and was allowed to drink full liquids after that...so each provider gives us different follow-up diets. so be true to what your provider asks of you okay? best wishes to you and hope to hear from you soon.

You CAN do it! Many of us have done the same diet. As Terrydumont46 said, you can have sugar free popcicles, broth, crystle-lite, and I also had Hot and Our Soup, broth only from a Chinese Restaurant. I found it more satisfying than just having broth. But, something a lot of people won't tell you, be aware, liquids in, liquids out, so don't be surprised or too worried abut that fact. Best wishes

Thanks a lot for the advise everyone. Day 1 clear liquid fast down with no problems. Before I went to bed last night I prayed and prayed for very little hunger with this fast and today was fine. Thank you God! Now 9 more days to go! Taking it one day (or moment if necessary) at a time.... Feeling positive at this point!

Thanks a lot for the advise everyone. Day 1 clear liquid fast down with no problems. Before I went to bed last night I prayed and prayed for very little hunger with this fast and today was fine. Thank you God! Now 9 more days to go! Taking it one day (or moment if necessary) at a time.... Feeling positive at this point!

I feel the same way Day is almost over for me also. Nine more days we could get through this.

My doctors wants me a 1 day clear liquid diet before my surgery. I wish everyone my blessing. 8 more days of liquid, can't wait.. Does anyone have do liquids after there surgery ?.

@@lecouch call your docs office if you are not sure about the clear liquid diet for that long. They are there for you and to answer all of your questions…its important to understand it all as you go along the process. Good luck! You can and will do it!

@@new me1475 Everyones docs protocol is different but most have some kind of liquids after surgery to allow for healing.

I had 2 days of all clear liquids only after surgery, followed by 2 weeks of all liquids, followed by 2 weeks of mushies before finally getting back onto solids. I also had a 2 week all liquid pre-op….so it was 6 weeks without solids. Seems so long ago now. Not so much when I was going through it. Best of luck to you!

lecouch how are you doing...was thinking about you today!!!

Thank you for inquiring about me Mikee57. I am doing ok. I am now on day 9 of my clear liquid pre op diet, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My surgery is on Thursday! This clear liquid fast hasn't been as horrible as I imagined, but it hasn't been fun. I'm not a Jello fan but have managed to choke it down every day. I'm about sick of it though. Haven't been a fan of broth either but was given a hint by the bariatric nurse to take like chicken noodle Soup and strain out all of the food. That was a Godsend! Definitely more flavorful! On the upside, I am now 15.5 pounds down! Off to a good start!!!! I've decided that this fast has probably been a good thing because by the time I will be able to eat something, I will really appreciate anything I can eat.

Does only liquid going in mean only liquid coming out?

@@lecouch, hang in there. It's easier after surgery, as everyone said. A side benefit of all of it is that you truly will appreciate the next phase more, and the weight loss now will give you a mental and physical boost after surgery. I made it through by telling myself I could do anything for a prescribed amount of time. My protocol was 5 days Clear liquids pre-op (never want to see Isopure again - LOL) and six weeks full liquids post-op. I finally got solids on Thursday last week. Woo hoo! Then got my first fill four days later and back on full liquids for 48 hours. It's a process. We've come so far -- we can do this!

Yep

Yes, that was one of the 1st things I said when answering this originally. Liquids in, liquids out! do not be afraid, just stay near the potty!