Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded but not losing weight

Hi there. I had a lap band fitted on the 7th of February and had my first fill on the 26th of March. I still seem to be able to eat large amounts and am not sure why. I will be receiving my next fill at the end of April. I feel like a real loser as it seems to work for everyone else. Has anyone out there had the same experience or has anyone found that it did not work initially but then started working? This is what I hope will happen with me. I should say that my surgery took place in Scotland and it may be that the the fills here are done slower, starting with smaller amounts but I don't know. I am looking for any reason just now.

I had my first fill yesterday & I don't feel a thing. I actually gained weight the first 6 weeks! One problem I'm having is feeling so nauseated...is this normal. I feel like I could get sick...but I don't. The nausea is all the time, I was even wondering if I was getting the flu...but honestly, I believe it has to do with this band.

allergies!

just wanted to add...

Ive been literally down for last few weeks and on benadryl for severe allergies. Ive kept track of my food, and while i knew id been eating more than i should, i didnt think it was too bad, but i havent been back to the gym since the ninth of this month, and ive gained 8 lbs back!

i went back on liquids for today, likely tomorrow too. Hopefully i can get things back to a "start" position and go forward from there.

I gain wieght very quickly. i did this before the band too.

Hey Lizrbit...

Just wondering how you are doing with the allergies and 8lb? Are things getting better?

Hi Lucille. I seem to have a mild form of the symptoms you mention. Somtimes I do feel nauseated but it is mostly in the morning.... no guys it isn't what some of you are probably thinking!!! When I wake up I can feel quite nauseated and it doesn't pass when I have Breakfast. Later in the day it can come on again but it is mainly in the morning. I wonder if it is the way I am lying cause I find it more uncomfortable since having the band fitted to lie on my left side. Not sure why this is. None of symptoms are severe but the band may have something to do with the way you are feeling. I will be mentioning my symptoms to the surgeon on the 4th of May and I think you should definitely see your surgeon as soon as possible.

Lizrbit, I really hope you are feeling better with your allergies. Take care of yourself.

HEY!!!!

Hi ya wasbub!

Im in galveston back at the cottage. Im fixin to get around to go to my dr appointment in Houston to get my second fill! woo!

Going back to liquids worked the trick for me. i did two protien shakes during day and at night two cups of raw veggies (spinach leaves, carrots and marinated tofu, ranch dressing) and i dropped the eight lbs. (i hope) I dropped it before i left to come here, and i havent weighed since arriving in texas. ill find out the big news today at the dr office. im a little nervous about it too because i can feel that im swollen. (ovulation!) soooo we will see!~

No allergies since i flew in. Not just 'better'...GONE. nadda, zip, zero (breathes in deepy)

lovely!

(which is strange isnt it? because i left snow on the ground and came to tropical climate?) weird.

k...

im gonna go get ready.

ill report back when i get back. cross yer fingers for me!

No allergies since i flew in. Not just 'better'...GONE. nadda, zip, zero (breathes in deepy)

lovely!

(which is strange isnt it? because i left snow on the ground and came to tropical climate?) weird.

k...

im gonna go get ready.

ill report back when i get back. cross yer fingers for me!

YEA about the 8lbs!!!!

And do tell, for we desert dwellers, what the heck is snow? My Daddy always taught me that the only white stuff that falls from the sky is bird pooh. :lol:

I am so glad you started this thread. I am too struggling to lose weight and not get frustrated. I read posts of others who were banded the same month as I was and they seem to be losing so much faster. I was banded Feb 6th. When I woke up the MD told me the band was really loose on my stomach. I have had two fills so far, the first was 1.5cc and then another 1cc about two weeks ago. I have another fill scheduled in about three weeks. I definately have some restriction but have not reached that "sweet spot" everyone talks about. I can still eat well over a cup of food at a time and never feel full. I just stop eating when I think I have had enough. I do find when I eat too fast I get pain in my upper stomach and I have to slow down and chew better. I have not had any PB's (thankfully).

:think

you need a fill. sometimes it takes 4-5 fills. be patient you'll be fine it took me about 6 months to get the right fill'

Hey Elizebeth I was thinking I was the only one not losing ON THE LAP BAND I see alot of people dropping 15 to 25 before their first fill .. I have only lost 5 lbs since my surgery on april 18 ..I know i need to be patient but was hard getting replies from people who had at least lost 10 lbs after sugery .. I was not expecting only 5 lbs in 2 weeks of only eating 500 calories .. a day .. i mean i was eating well over 3000 plus calories a day prior to april 1. Total weight loss has been 12 lbs since april 1.. not very impressive loss when u look at other people weight loss.. is alot more.. But my first fill is may31 so I am loooking forward to a fill.. then things may get going

GOOD LUCK

Be well Lisa

Lisa,

I was one of those that did lose, but my Dr. warned me that I may not. He was more concerned about the healing process. Of Course, I wanted to get the show on the ROAD! My body is weird! I will not lose any for three weeks, then it suddenly drops off!

I try to eat 1000-1200 calories so my body doesn't think I am starving.

Hang in there! It will get better!

I wonder why I never noticed this thread. I like the way you can look at new posts!

I am in the same boat. I lost 22 lbs the first 4 weeks on the liquid diet and nothing since. I eat tiny portions, so I have restriction, but the weight just isn't coming off. I exercise like crazy and eat mainly Protein and veggies.

Denise822,

Have you lost inches. I've lost only 59lbs. in 1 year. But I've lost 4'' in my neck 12" in my waist and 14" in my hips. We must remember this is a life time thing.

1-2lbs. a week is what we should be losing. As long as were not gaining. were doing great!!

I would be thrilled to lose 2 lbs a week. I haven't lost anything in 3 months.<br /> <br /> I am undecided as to whether to get another fill. I hate when food gets stuck.<br /> It gets stuck because I remember to eat tiny bites and everything is going along fine. Then I forget, since everything is fine and take too big of a bite and have the golf ball until I can get it to move. I don't pb. I am not really sure how much food I am supposed to eat. I hear a lot of people say they eat a lean cuisine. I eat one of those and I am full. I don't really think I need a fill. Are we supposed to be full on just a few bites?

I was sailing along, having lost 49 pounds within the first month of surgery. Then things tapered off some. I'm guessing it's in part because that's when I started getting more hungry...but even my "more hungry" only gets me between 1000 --1300 calories a day. The other thing that has changed is that I started working out. I do an hour of cardio and an hour of weightlifting 3 days a week.

I did get away from using those Protein test tubes and I think that was a big mistake, so I'll remedy that this week. It takes many more calories in food to get that protein-full feeling, whereas with the test tube it was 88 calories for 21g of Protein.

It's really hard not seeing the scale move. especially knowing that I work out really hard and don't eat a whisper of what I used to. But I'm in this for the long haul so I'm not going to let it get me down. Plus there's nothing like that drive home from the gym, when the sun has just set and the windows are open and the music playing...and that wonderful endorphin euphoria. :)

Stay strong!

Virginia

Denise'

use a smaller dish like a salad dish, put your fork down after every bite,chew chew chew don't drink when you drink it has no place to go your pouch only holds 2oz. so if you add liquid theres no place for it to go but up. By not drinking while eating you keep full longer. try 6-7 almonds 1-2 hrs. before you eat it keeps you fuller I hope this helps