Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am two months out now, and am going out to a relatives house to Celebrate Easter. Every year she cooks same thing. Ham, mashed potatoes, some sort of veggie and way too many Desserts. Before I decide to pack a meal and look odd to the other guests (as well as insulting the hostess) I was wondering is it safe to eat ham? I have been really limiting in what I eat. I have chicken breasts, ground turkey, ground beef and fish. I just don't remember ham or pork products being discussed. Any help, insight or tops on surviving would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I don't see why not. I'd try to drink extra Water to help flush out any sodium, and keep the portion as small as possible. Of course, you might want to check with your surgeon to be on the safe side.

I know I "graduate" to solid foods this Friday, and we're all going out to an all-you-can-eat brunch at a really good restaurant for Easter. Sweet Jesus give me strength.

Good luck, Happy Easter, and enjoy the day!

Be well…

Maybe offer to bring a side dish and "dessert" to contribute. Do they not know about your surgery? If they do know, I don't think it would be insulting to pack your own meal, though. I'm cooking this year so I'm doing everyone's traditional faves like normal and offering a few healthier options so I can eat too.

I found ham to be one of the easier things to eat because it broke down so easily. It was one of the first meats I tried after surgery. My recommendation as with anything new you try is to take small bites an wait a few minutes in between to make sure there aren't going to be any problems.

Some do, but most don't know about the surgery Sleeveless so I don't really want to call attention to it. I have asked if their is anything I can bring or volunteered to bring a side dish, I was told just to bring some flowers.. Umm ok..So I guess I am going to take itty bitty bites and see how the ham works- thanks busymom and Denise.

Some do, but most don't know about the surgery Sleeveless so I don't really want to call attention to it. I have asked if their is anything I can bring or volunteered to bring a side dish, I was told just to bring some flowers.. Umm ok..So I guess I am going to take itty bitty bites and see how the ham works- thanks busymom and Denise.

I am still pre-op, and much restricted, but Easter dinner at my sisters is kind of the same problem for me. I am allowed one lean cuisine meal plus one cup of vegetable, and so I have to make dinner equivalent to that. Of course you are never invited to bring the thing that would be most helpful, right?! I think in addition to the flowers you could still bring a small veggie plate or small item to share that you know is safe for you to eat, and just say it was a recipe you wanted to try, or something that sounded good to you-- even a little white lie that you "had an upset stomach and are trying to baby it" doesn't sound like it would be a bad idea to quash the drama of people commenting or noticing your food intake if you do not want to tell them all.

My gathering will be family and some extended family, and only about half of them know about the upcoming surgery. There is one family member who is bigger than I am, and another about my size, and we have all endured some difficult comments, so I do not want my surgery to become a topic of discussion that will make anybody else feel bad, or make my weight feel like the center of discussion--this one is my business, and up to me who and how much I tell! That said, it is also up to me to eat what is appropriate for me to eat, and so if that means I have to bring something other than what I was asked to bring, I sure will! Good luck at yours!!

I agree, there should be no harm in bringing a dish...a roasted chicken even...whatever you are comfortable with... I tried new things too early with my sleeve and regreted it "quickly"... be careful...but enjoy your day, it's all about the DAY, family, friends, not food ;)

Maybe you could take a tray of deviled eggs made in such a way that you could enjoy them. I have had made several batches of deviled eggs over the last weeks and had like a half of one here and there. They have been easy for me to digest because they are creamy. I saw a recipe where you can use plain Greek yogurt in them in place of mayo. I have been making mine normal and just eating very little.

I plan to eat ham, green Beans and deviled eggs. :-) I eat sandwich meat ham all the time. I love it!

I'm 1 week post-op and here is my first post!

Easter is totally stressing me out! I was supposed to go with my in-laws to a restaurant in Chicago but there is NO WAY I can fake my way through that. I decided not to tell my husband's side of the family about my surgery. So now I am going to lie that I have a backache and then head to my sister's house. I have 3 siblings and have shared my surgery with all but 1 of them. Well, now he and his wife are coming over for Easter. GREAT! Now I really have to fake it or just come out and tell my brother and his wife but I don't want to. I want to appear as normal as possible and the fewer people that know about my surgery, the less under a microscope I'll be. After I got home from the hospital in Mexico (Dr. Garcia rocks!), my sister-in-law says....."Hey, skinny-minny! I can already tell you're losing!" Ummmm.........really? *while looking at my bloated belly* ERG! She's sweet as can be but OY, wish I can fast forward 1 month and get through these 3 phases of eating so I can appear normal at the dinner table. Ok, I know this didn't have anything to do with eating ham or not but I had to share. LOL!

well, All I can say is, everbody thinks I'm on a low carb and watching my portions diet! :rolleyes: So far, so good..and I plan to keep it that way! Good luck to you this Easter!

How about you make the mashed potatoes but with cauliflower.. I found a recipe on pinterest absolutely delicious and tastes just like Good old fashion mashers

Robin, just had to share: My hubby calls me Skinny Minny all the time!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and great advice friends. I solved all my problems by telling my brother (last one to know out of my siblings). I guess I felt the less people knew, the more "normal" I would feel eating. But, he handled it great and my family isn't one to judge and they'll keep my surgery within the family. In fact, my other brother messaged me this morning and asked if he could make me a special Easter Soup? Awwww, so sweet! Anyway, thanks everyone and I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful Easter!

I will be two months out on the 25th, and ham gives me no problems whatsoever. It was one of the first meats I tried, and is going to be one of my staples. You need to go slow though, and see what your sleeve tolerates because everyone is different. I saw my surgeon last week, and he told me that at this point, nothing is really off limits to me, just to remember that eat Proteins first, then veggies, then fruits, then if you have room left over...carbs. Soft drinks are allowed if they are flat, no carbonation, even though I mainly just stick to Water.