Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding out you don't qualify

I found out I wouldn't "qualify" in the 10 minutes it took me to read my policy....it doesn't cover WLS for ANY reason. I was actually kind of relieved. No doctor visits, no support groups, no psych evaluation, no 3-6 month supervised diet, no piles of paperwork or whatever other hoops you have to jump through. Just focused on finding a great bariatric surgeon in Mexico, scheduled it and I was at home, recovering and losing weight before I would have even started the insurance scam ( I mean process)

I actually very happy to go through the appointments and groups In order to get he surgery. I'll take all the info I can get to learn how to change how I think and to be more healthy for my children and myself.

You make it sound " amazing" being self pay and going to Mexico for the surgery.

Self pay, number one is awesome, not a lot of people can do that. But, aren't you afraid of Mexican health care? I would be terrified

I read a really bad horror story about getting surgery from there. No thanks lol

I'm really sorry to read such a racist statement. As a matter of fact, my surgeons both have over 15 years of experience, one is a professor of Laparoscopic surgery, has taught at Harvard, and has proctored many US surgeons in bariatric surgery methods. They are both members of the American College of Surgeons and the facility is certified as an International Center of Excellence by the Surgical Review Corporation. They have done hundreds of more VSG surgeries than any of the bariatric surgeons within 200 miles of my home. His complication rate for VSG is 1/100 of the published average.

The surgical center, medical care, and skills and hospitality of the staff was impeccable. The pre and post op support and instructions have been more than adequate for my success. I had no postop pain, was up and shopping the day after surgery, back to work in a week, and have had no surgical complications whatsoever. My PCP is thrilled with my results and my OB/Gyn has recommended my surgeon to several of her other patients.

So no, I have no problems with Mexican health care. (Thanks to Obamacare, I'm sure I'll be going back there again someday.) Good luck with getting your surgery and I hope you have as great of an experience as I have had.

Edited by Kindle

Racist?? Wow,

Not at all. I simply said I read about someone's horrible expericnce.

Your way out of line slinging that word my direction.

@@Kindle had no right to make such an ugly accusation and is way out of line here.

In my opinion.

You are all right. Prejudice would have been a much more appropriate term to use...

Her post insinuated that Mexican Health care is inferior to US, based on one story she heard. And prejudice is defined as "an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason."

I apologize for my misuse of words.

:blink:

Ahh, sure then. I guess I was " prejudice "

If you read what I read you may think awful things as well.

Sorry if I base my OPINION on one story.

But, just as you are free to toss out names at me, I am also free to say what I want.

I'm really sorry to read such a racist statement. As a matter of fact, my surgeons both have over 15 years of experience, one is a professor of Laparoscopic surgery, has taught at Harvard, and has proctored many US surgeons in bariatric surgery methods. They are both members of the American College of Surgeons and the facility is certified as an International Center of Excellence by the Surgical Review Corporation. They have done hundreds of more VSG surgeries than any of the bariatric surgeons within 200 miles of my home. His complication rate for VSG is 1/100 of the published average.

The surgical center, medical care, and skills and hospitality of the staff was impeccable. The pre and post op support and instructions have been more than adequate for my success. I had no postop pain, was up and shopping the day after surgery, back to work in a week, and have had no surgical complications whatsoever. My PCP is thrilled with my results and my OB/Gyn has recommended my surgeon to several of her other patients.

So no, I have no problems with Mexican health care. (Thanks to Obamacare, I'm sure I'll be going back there again someday.) Good luck with getting your surgery and I hope you have as great of an experience as I have had.

Thank you for saying that the comment was racist because my husband and my children are Mexican n i couldn't b any more prouder of my Mexican family! So thank you so much! ♡♡♡♡♡♡

I had the same situation as kindle- wls was excluded from my policy, no matter what conditions I have, surgery won't be covered. I also made the decision to go to Mexico in February. Best decision I ever made- I did my research and was confident in the dr I picked. There are risks with any surgery no matter where you go but I have to say, I had such a good hospital/dr experience. I went to Mexico alone for the surgery, only told ppl on here and 2 friends. I was treated SO well, it was almost like I was in a hotel. I'm already considering going back to Mexico for plastic surgery on my arms or thighs.

I tried gaining weight to get above 40 bmi, only to find out that Aetna requires your weight to be at 40 bmi for two years. I wasn't willing to wait that long, so I went to Mexico. In the end, I only spent $2000 more than I would have here since I have a $3500 deductible.

Each person needs to make their own decision.

Cash pay here or Mexico or Brazil is each persons decision and needs to be respected

Everyone's opinion should also be respected.

I saw nothing racist or prejudicial in any statement.

Clearly post surgery we have a lot of emotions all over and take a step back and a deep breath.

Jeez

@@Kindle I'm like you.. I didn't have the patience to deal with the Insurance company! Mine didn't cover any at all and I had a BMI of 38 so I wasn't quite what they were looking for. The $4,000 was worth it to me to just go to Mexico and do it. I am a Nurse and I can say I do not regret my choice at all. I had a great experience with the staff and my Doctor. It was very educational for me to see how they do it in Mexico versus the U.S. if anything it allowed me to see the difference in health care and bring my experience back with me. They were very sterile in Mexico and the hospital I stayed in was very clean and orderly. My Dr. is actually a US citizen - Blonde hair blue eyed but travels over the border to Mexico to do the surgery's for the same reason I did.. To avoid all the Insurance hassle. I am also signed up to take a class over the on Gastric Sleeve's and weight loss through our local college. So, you can get the same benefits without having to go through the insurance.

The horror stories you hear from Mexico are no different then here in the U.S. and after working in the health care industry I have come to realize the only reason we don't hear about more "horror stories" in the US is because of confidentiality, Liability, malpractice, Lawsuits - Insurance companies, waivers etc. etc. (None of which Mexico really has)

I didn't have the $4,000 to pay for mine either but I finally realized I couldn't put a price tag on my health and my understanding is that it costs just as much if not more for your insurance deductible and percentage that the insurance won't cover. My dad's secretary had a sleeve done and they billed her insurance $45,000 and out of pocket she ended up paying $12,000 of that. So, I got a credit card and charged mine.

In my opinion it doesn't matter how each of us got or is getting our Gastric Bypass nor does it matter to me the cost of who paid more or less... or whether you did it in the US or Mexico.. what matters is afterwards we are all in the same boat -- trying to lose weight. No two experiences are going to be the same. I am here for support and to give support

Ok, seriously??? Racist? The people who are commenting on me being racist are way off.

As I wrote , if you read what I read about this woman's experience you would question where she had it also. Sure there are lousy doctors and surgeons here in the US too. Maybe I should find this story ON HERE and send it to all of you.

Sorry if your all so dang sensitive. I did not utter one iota of racist statement about a Mexican Person, heritage or any of that. Relax