Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Long-Time Banders

Some of the comments I've read on the boards has made me want to ask...

After you've been banded awhile, do you get to the point where eating "band-style" becomes second nature, or do you worry at every meal about things getting stuck, pb'ing, etc.?

Some posts that I've read have made me concerned that I'll always be obsessing at each meal, more so if I'm going out to eat, and so on. Obviously, I can see that happening in the first 6 months or so after being banded, as I'm adjusting to a new way of life, but does it lessen as you get used to your new life?

What are your thoughts??

Hey,

I have been banded 2 yrs and just wanted to chip in and say that for me it has now become second nature.

I dont even look at foods I know I cant eat.

I automatically only dish out small amounts for myself and I never shovel food in like I used to.

Chew chew chewing is just second nature too.

The only thing I slip up on now occasionally is letting myself get really thirsy and sculling my drink...that only happens every now and then tho.

Great thread! I hope more long time bandsters share. I've just been banded since December so its still kinda new to me. I'm finally at my sweetspot and really having to use the bandster rules fully. Its good to hear that it becomes 2nd nature to be using them. Thanks.

2 years post op, and totally at goal. Yes for me its just second nature now. I don't even think about it most days. Once in a while the "drill seageant" reminds me to slow down, or chew it up more before swallowing, but it is reallly a life style now. I am soooo happy with the band, the new lifestyle, and all it has done for me.

2 years post op, at goal,

210 pounds lost!

Jackal how long did it take for you to reach goal and on an average how much were you losing per week/month? I'll be so glad when its all 2nd nature for me. Did you use the band as a dieting tool or a lifestyle change?

Bit of both.

Eating bandster style is second nature, I eat almost anything at home but when I'm out I do stop and think about PBing or getting stuck and yes, its slightly tiresome to have to be careful in those situations all the time, but I cant think of anything worse than that happening to me in public.

But I find it easy to make good choices - we were away with another family over easter and I ate with everyone, but I just didnt eat what I knew was risky, we all took food so I took plenty that I could eat kind of thing. And if I'm at a restaurant I make the good choices.

I have to think about this more now than at the start because my band is tighter. But it becomes a part of your life, its not an obsession.

I don't think much about it anymore, my band lets me know when I've had enough or don't take another bite. I just eat normal like everyone else does.

Banded for 2 years and no obsession here. Didn't even tell the majority of my friends and still go eating out with them without any problem. Eating correctly is now a second nature and I automatically pick up the menu and choose stuff I know I should be ok with (never had any PBing problem, but God forbids if it happens in a restaurant...). At home I basically eat the same I used to, just in smaller quantity and trying to stay away from those things I know aren't good for my health. And then I chew, chew and chew some more, no drinking at meals, this goes on auto-pilot, no effort.

niki