Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for a newbie runner

I've started the C25k plan. I know there is a forum on this already, I am following it. But I'm curious if anyone has any tips for a newbie runner! I'm still learning...I still have 80 lbs to lose so I'm not in super shape! Lol but tips like- is it better to learn running on treadmill or outside or doesn't matter? Do u eat a snack after running? Does it get easier? Lol

Happy Belated Birthday!!

OK, this is only my personal opinion. I was able to stave off being fat for years due to running. But, sometimes I was about 25 lbs overweight. Usually only around 10 lbs overweight. Now, my knees are shot. I've needed two total knee replacements for about 6 years now and I'll have to pull the trigger this fall for sure.

I believe my weight is what caused all my cartilage to be grinded off. I wish I would have picked up on cycling 30-40 years ago. I bike now and I love it. Don't care for riding streets but we have hundreds of miles of bike/walk paths in the Denver area I can use.

So, I recommend biking but if you insist on running, spend enough money on a pair of great running shoes. Make sure they're the right size and width. Start off with one mile. Don't push it, just jog it. Hydrate before you run. You won't be out there long enough to need to carry Water with you until you run 10K races.

Outside is always my first choice. There are so many places you can run in most cities. Treadmill only in inclement weather. Find a nature preserve to run around. The more interesting and fun you make it, the more often you'll do it. We have this nature preserve near our house and it's great to watch the coyotes have pups and the geese and ducks all have their babies. It's just a delight to run or bike around the lake/preserve.

Good luck and enjoy the spring!

Here's a couple of pics of me when I was running. Oh those were the good ole days. I could eat anything after a good run. post-41899-0-92830900-1397252250_thumb.jpg post-41899-0-80678900-1397252251_thumb.jpg

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I fantasize about someday being a runner. I was blessed with huge legs and a much smaller torso. Definitely not built like a runner. But I'm always inspired by the stories people tell about the "high". My knees are probably long gone. I'm newly sleeved and have 115 pounds to lose. I wouldn't dare try it til I am closer to goal (simply because I'm 45 and would like to put off my knee replacements until at least 55). I have thought about biking. Any advice on how to get started biking?

Here's my basic advice on running:

Take it or leave it ;)

-I always eat before my runs (I tried skipping Breakfast once and nearly died- true story).

- Aasics. Thought I was good with my trusty Nikes, I was wrong. Good running shoes are a must.

- don't be alarmed if you have to increase your carb intake on running days. Also, expect your appetite to increase a bit as well. That's normal.

- I much MUCH prefer running outdoors (w/ my earbuds in on an awesome playlist I made just for running)

- wear compressions, especially when you lose a few more lbs. it's much more comfortable then having your belly slap your thighs. Really.

- Sports bra, please.

- I run on asphalt and grass, I mix it up to protect my knees. Everyone is different.

-hydrate & rehydrate!

- HAVE FUN!

I fantasize about someday being a runner. I was blessed with huge legs and a much smaller torso. Definitely not built like a runner. But I'm always inspired by the stories people tell about the "high". My knees are probably long gone. I'm newly sleeved and have 115 pounds to lose. I wouldn't dare try it til I am closer to goal (simply because I'm 45 and would like to put off my knee replacements until at least 55). I have thought about biking. Any advice on how to get started biking?

I started biking about two years ago. I love it! Do you have a bike? If you don't buy yourself a good one. You don't have to spend a grand, but don't go buy one that cost $50 at Walmart. I bought a beach bike and hated it, it's rusting in my shed. I rode it like three times and then had to buy a new one. Mine was only about $200 but it's very sturdy. It's a Schwinn Comfort bike. I would highly suggest a comfort bikes. You can do on road or mild trail biking.

What they say about riding a bike is true, you don't forget. Once you get out somewhere flat, just go and you'll pick it back up. After you get comfortable stopping, make sure your seat is up high enough that your just touch the ground with the tips of your toes.

Do you you know if you have any "rail to trail" trails in your area? We have a beautiful one, The Virginia Creeper trail, that is amazing. It's all down hill so it's an easy ride. I will tell you when I have to ride up hill or do a harder ride, I sometimes feel like I'm dying but like anything else, you just have to build up your resistance. I've crashed a few times, but that's part of it. Good luck!

I live in TN and used to ride (about 18 years ago) with my husband (who no longer rides but did seriously so in his younger days). He bought me a $800 bike that's been in our garage for a long time. It's probably rusted by now. The problem with TN is full of hills. I grew up in Michigan where everything is gloriously flat. Several of my friends who run have taken up biking. But they are all athletic. I am no where near able to bike with them. There are some good paved trails in Nashville and a big mountain biking trail near my house in Columbia. I loathed going up hill. Seriously ruined it for me. Does stationary biking or spin classes help build endurance? I've thought about stating there. I just feel like in still too big to "really" ride. But I do miss being outside.

Hey! I'm from Tennessee too. Upper East TN, almost in Virginia to be specific. And yes, the hills can be killer. I've not done stationary biking but I would assume it would help build your resistance. We have to drive an hour for the Creeper trail but it's so worth it. Take your bike to a shop and see if they can fix it up for you. Even if some of the parts are rusted they can probably rebuilt it for you. I felt like i was too big to ride too, but I'm so glad i did. I'm still a little self conscious but it's what I enjoy doing.

Edited by Wallflower7522

Hey! I'm from Tennessee too. Upper East TN, almost in Virginia to be specific. And yes, the hills can be killer. I've not done stationary biking but I would assume it would help build your resistance. We have to drive an hour for the Creeper trail but it's so worth it. Take your bike to a shop and see if they can fix it up for you. Even if some of the parts are rusted they can probably rebuilt it for you. I felt like i was too big to ride too, but I'm so glad i did. I'm still a little self conscious but it's what I enjoy doing.

I'll do it. Thanks! For you runners: what weight were you when you started running?

Hey, I was born in Nashville but I left when I was 9 months old. So no southern accent.

Hey, I was born in Nashville but I left when I was 9 months old. So no southern accent.

I've been here 23 years but married a Tennesean. I can go back and forth between my Michigan brogue and a Southern accent - depending on who I'm talking to. Nashville is thriving these days. It's come a long way!

Sorry to the OP, we got off course. :(

I was a runner in my previous life (before I became overweight)...I started in jr high and just dove right in because I joined the Cross Country team.

I agree about GREAT running shoes. and don't pick them yourself. go to a store that specializes in running if you can find one, have a gait analysis done and get the shoes that your feet require for success. Asics are an awesome brand, and I wore them in school. these days I prefer Mizuno but everybody's feet are different!

I broke my leg shortly before I got married almost two decades ago, and that morning was the last time I ever ran. I had extensive leg and ankle surgery and my ortho guy tells me once I lose my weight I can run again. but since it has been SO many years, i'll be starting from scratch, like you.

I would consider starting at a track, like at a school. the distance to start is VERY finite. once around. then when you can do that well, twice around, etc. the bonus to that is that you can park your Water bottle at the end and rehydrate often. also, most school tracks are made with some pretty good shock absorbing powers under them, and the only audience there are kids.

once you are doing some decent distance, then take to the parks, outdoors, etc.

best of luck!

Lot of great posts.

I love running, have ran my whole "fat" life. When I was getting ready to do my first marathon I got a book that I loved. It is called Galloway's Book of Running. It had a lot of awesome information.

From a personal perspective, I only noticed this after running a long time, I am a shuffler so I dont actually lift my feet of the ground that high, so I was not using a pounding type action or bend my knees to much. This is what really saved my knees I think as my stride was a bit differnt than "normal runners" :-)

Does it get easier? You betchya as long as you enjoy it. I think and again just my humble opinion, the secret to fitness is to find something you like and don't think of it as exercise but it just becomes another habit you love and don't want to live without.

One of the things I use to do was while walking, I would walk for about 5 minutes, then pick a spot and jog to it. Slowly decreasing my walk time and increasing my run time. The C25k I think uses the same type of principle, walk and jog building you up to eventually running the full time.

For shoes I agree a specialty running store is great. I use mizuno beast because my feet are pretty wide and they come in a wider shoe plus they are built for heavier runners.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by jalb

I love to the 3 and 1..that is 3 minutes walking (at a fast pace, then running for three. I continue doing this cycle throughout my exercise. It is easier on my knees and I. Get a good cardio workout as well. 10 years ago , at the age of 50 I diid a marathon, (26.2 miles). Doing the 3:1 and finished it . If u find this routine is something u want to consider....buy a sports watch with intervals.. Set 3 minutes than 1 minute to beep continuously in that pattern . You can get a decent sports watch for less than $50.. Good investment. I just started going back to my 3:1 routine.

Correction on my previous post...3 minutes walking then 1 minute jogging..

One last comment. I use a heart rate monitor that is tied into an app on my smart phone. I can track my time, where I ran on a map, heartrate, distance, calories burned and speed. The strap costs about $60 and the app is $3.

I can go back and view my history to see how much I've done over each year.