Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes you feel like a band; sometimes you don't

Let me start out by saying I am not happy with my progress, but I blame myself to a large degree. I know what I need to do. I have had three fills and go again this month. I was just wondering if anyone feels this way. Sometimes I can take one bite and get a stuck feeling. I know the band is there. Other times, I feel no satiety signals really. It's like the band is asleep lol :). Just wondering if anyone has felt that way. I am currently not losing :( but I know some immediate changes I am going to implement.

I feel the same way! I've had my band since November 2010 and have definitely fallen off the wagon after having my son in August. I've lost a total of 100lbs but now I'm stuck. I actually went in and found out i had stretched my pouch out and they needed to remove Fluid so it would go back down. Now I'm at 7 cc instead of 8 cc and still don't feel anything. My doctor said you have to go back to the basics to feel it again. No liquids while you eat (so hard!) And take time eating your food. Also no slider foods and eat 3 meals a day with no snacking in between. It's hard to get back to the basics

I was banded in November of 2011. I lost 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for the next 3.5 months. Late March I got my 3rd fill and had a visit with my nutritionist. She really made a big difference. I was able to clean up about 300 calories I was eating a day and the 3rd fill gave me enough restriction to start my journey.

I was eating the wrong foods so that the band couldn't work it's magic. Unknowingly I was eating slider foods that didn't stimulate the valgus nerve. Once I made that correction, I started to notice the signals. Not always of course. Unfortunately with the band, most of us have to pay closer attention to what goes in our mouths than other WLS patients.

Edited by 2muchfun

Yes I know the feeling. I was banded in Aug 2010 lost about 60 lbs then started finding ways "around" the band. I gained weight about 40 lbs and recently went back to get a fill. After over filled and then an un-fill I think I'm finally back on track. I'm eating better logging my meals and exercise and am determined to lose again.

It's difficult to start again but I'm going to start nursing school and am not gonna fall into the 25 lb average weight gain I hear about.

I found that I do better eating 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. I make sure to drink my Water and most of all I don't deprive myself. If I want some chocolate I eat some (not the whole bag like before :D )

Good luck!

Edited by Zeniada B

hey there gardenergirl2...I am not that far out as you are...but I would listen to what 2muchfun has to say...he had some youtube videos to watch and I know they have helped me. Like he says...we often sabotage ourselves by not eating the right things in the right amounts. So maybe going back to basics again might get you started in the right direction. I hope your journey picks up soon for you...will be watching for an update very soon from you!!! hang in there sweetie.

this is the link he posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3Lwt6ElIs&list=UL

Just a comment on your "first bite" syndrome. This is a common complaint amongst bandsters. I read an excellent suggestion on how to avoid this: take your first, small bite. Wait for it to pass the stoma...give it two full minutes before you take you next bite.

This can prime the band (sort of tell it that food will be coming in) so that you don't get stuck on the 2nd and 3rd bites.

For some reason, there are people that suffer from this first bite syndrome. But if you bite, swallow and wait, it should result in you being able to eat the rest of your band-friendly portion without any stuck incidents.

Thank you, everybody. I am going to win at this :) I felt discouraged yesterday, but I know what I have got to do....Now, time to do it :)

Once again, can someone tell me what "slider foods" consist of?

I too suffer the "first bite" stuck feeling quiet often...thanks for the tip Parisshel...

Once again, can someone tell me what "slider foods" consist of?

Anything that can slip past the band like, shakes, mashed potatoes, Soup, junk food like chips (weird but true) What else? apple sauce, pudding, ICE CREAM…

Pretty much all the stuff I lived on when I was too tight! Except the potato chips those scared me….

Edited by Zeniada B

ABlond what I have been told:

Typically a slider food is one that can easily slip through the narrow stoma passage created by the band's restriction. It is important to avoid slider foods as much as possible, because they slide right through where they are supposed to be restricted for awhile.

Slider foods don't help you feel full and can be full of calories, too, so they really defeat the purpose of your lapband.

First bite syndrome…. I've never heard of this but WOW that is so me!! When I got banded I was led to believe that the food "sits" in the pouch and slowly passes.

I have now learned 3 ½ to 4 years later that is NOT how the band works. ( I guess back then they didn't know???)

I'm glad there is an explanation as to why I often get a stuck feeling with the first bite and I just assumed I was eating something I couldn't. Thanks for that wonderful tidbit of information!

Thank you, everybody. I am going to win at this :) I felt discouraged yesterday, but I know what I have got to do....Now, time to do it :)

I love the title of your post!! It makes me laugh each time I see it. Keep your sense of humor and lightness; it will help in many ways.

And thank you for your post!

~hiddn

Thank you hiddnstar! Of course, I was thinking about that old jingle " sometime you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't" (a food jingle-I am soooooo surprised!!!!) I haven't really started losing dramatic weight yet, but I know that I will......I am trying to do my part.