Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th Fill Coming & FRUSTRATED!!

1) band holds 4cc + the tubing for your port will hold more - maybe as much as 3-4 ccs

2) YES - you still need to drink lots of Water. Water is required for your body to burn fat. Sometimes JUST drinking enough water in combination with your reduced intake will be what you need to start losing again.

3) Be sure to eat solid foods. Solid Proteins like chicken or beef will satisfy you sooner than yogurt or cottage cheese - which just slide on through. This is particularly important at night - when most bandsters have the least restriction.

4) Chewing, particularly solid Proteins, is the most important thing you can do. Count the chews, if you can't figure it out on your own. 30x is considered enough.

5) If it's CRUNCHY it is not your friend. Things like cheetos or crackers - when chewed - turn to a lovely liquid/mushy form and slide right past the band. If you want crunch - eat a vegatable.

Sadly, the band is not a cure-all. Some correct choices will be required. You don't have to be a saint - but you need to be making good choices the bulk of the time in order to lose weight.

I urge, even BEG you - do NOT assume that "I am not losing" = "I need a fill."

There are numerous hazards with having too much restriction. Sometimes "I am not losing" means you need to make different or better food choices, you need to get more exercise, or you need to drink more water.

While the Band makes it easier, you still have to diet to lose weight. You may not have to SUFFER, but you still have to eat good, wholesome food in small quantity and burn more calories than you take in.

Good Luck and Happy Band Trails to All.

It is true that most bandsters feel more restriction in the morning period than at night. I keep saying my doc everytime I go for another fill (I'm in my 6th fill and still not found that «sweet spot»)that the band is fine in the morning period but at night wolves come out and I really have to fight hard agains that urge to eat all those «wrong» foods I enjoyed so much...

It's very frustrating and this band of mine requires lots of effort and willpower. I've had long plateaus (those times when you become stable and don't loose despite you're doing all the correct things you're supposed to) but even so, I know from my experience of more than 2 years with the band that not loosing weight does not necessarily mean that you need to go for another fill. Sometimes, our body just likes to play tricks on us. Don't despair, there's nothing worse than being too tight and not being able to swallow your own spit!

niki

:update:

I went in for my fill on Wednesday. I walked out with .4cc more. I know this doesn't sound like much, but this may have been the one! My fill was at 3:30pm, so of course I had time for a good protien filled lunch at around 11:00am. I wanted to eat really good, because I know that it would be the last solid food going down for the day! The fill went great. I sipped on my Water in the waiting room for about 20 minutes after and even there I could sense that things were tighter! The Water went down, but really slow!

Later that evening about 7:00pm, I had one of those Campbells heat and sip Soups. I was able to get about 3/4 of it down before I felt full! Yes, I said felt full! I then sipped on water the rest of the evening and had not one bit of hunger for the rest of the night.

Thursday morning woke up and tried a protien shake. That didn't work, yet! I put it in the fridge and went for a cup of coffee. I sipped on it for about an hour and then tried the protien shake. I got about 6oz of it down and felt satisfied. I sipped on water for the rest of the day and felt great. No growling stomach or anything. For dinner, I was a little dissapointed because I was baking a chicken and thought I wouldn't be able to have any. WRONG! Fresh out of the oven, I just had to taste it. A small, small bite, but it went down great. Once I realized it went down ok, I sliced off some more and cut it up really fine, almost lke a food processor would! I put a little gravy on it and that was the best thing all day! I measured out about 1/3 cup of chopped up chicken and put about 3 tbs. of gravy on it. I ATE IT ALL! But that was it! No potatos, or anything else. I felt great. About an hour after, I had a glass of iced tea and that satisfied me through the rest of the night. I drank about 8oz of water about 30 minutes before bed, and slept like a baby!

Today, I'm just sipping on my coffee and hoping for another great day! I'm most excited about the no growling or hunger pains in between meals. That along with boredom makes me want to snack. So far, the water in between meals has really helped.

Thanks to everyone for your support and comments:clap2: . I'll keep you updated on how things are going!

Sounds like you have a great fill. Congrats. Isn't it wonderful to just eat 2/3 of a cup of food and feel satisfied!? I'm happy for you. You may be at your sweet spot if you continue to lose at that consumption. Julie

Wow Kevin that is brilliant. Just now I can't imagine ever feeling restriction. Knowing that it took you to fill 4 before feeling a real difference gives me encouragment. I thought that I would be full really easily when I had the bad fitted but it didn't happen. At least I'll be less despondent knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel after all. Keep updating cause it is good to follow how it is going for you.

Nice one by the way renebean. I think you are spot on with that. Having the band is a help but not the end of the story. If you still eat unhealthily then you will get the calories through it. You're replies are always very knowledgable.

Had my 4th fill yesterday - still really don't fee any different. I REALLY want to feel some restriction. I am doing ok with weight I guess but want to really start losing! Good luck to all - I am sure we will all reach our goals soon!

.png

Kim

Banded 1/26/07, Dr Spivak

236/206/165

"1st Fill" 2/22 - 1.5cc - was not there when i went back on 3/1

First Real Fill 3/1 - 1.5cc - Used thicker solution (OmniPaq ?)

Second Fill 3/22 - 1 cc

Third Fill 4/12 - .5cc - total of 3cc

Thanks for sharing--this is what I have been experiencing as well. Some times I fee a restriction, but not most of the time and that does contribute to making bad food choices. I have now had three fills, was banded on 1/12/07 and have lost 32 lbs,( 9 before surgery) but again mostly because I am eating like I am on a diet. My nutritionist says that I should be eating what I want, but just less of it. Anyway I needed to read this today because it is frustrating and because it is all so new I haven't a clue as to whether it is normal either.!!! Thanks for your courage.

Thanks for sharing--this is what I have been experiencing as well. Some times I feel a restriction, but not most of the time and that does contribute to making bad food choices. I have now had three fills, was banded on 1/12/07 and have lost 32 lbs,( 9 before surgery) but again mostly because I am eating like I am on a diet. My nutritionist says that I should be eating what I want, but just less of it. Anyway I needed to read this today because it is frustrating and because it is all so new I haven't a clue as to whether it is normal either.!!! Thanks for your courage.

I am having the exact same problem! Your case is almost identical to mine. I had my surgery Nov. 6th. I have had 3 fills. I am getting my 4th on Wednesday. I haven't gotten a fill since the beginning of February, because I can't really eat in the mornings, and at the beginning of the fill, I had troubles eating in the evenings too. Well that changed. Now, I can eat almost anything I want in the evenings, and I am starting to be able to eat in the mornings. Plus my portions are normal! And that's wrong! I do eat slowly though. It's all weird. So I am definitely getting another fill. I am having to get it in the late afternoon though, because my band is tight in the morning. As far as the stomach growling, it's horrible. My stomach growls so loud and hard now, it's embarrassing. I can't believe my stomach can make that sort of noise. Good luck with your fill...and I hope everything goes better for you.

Wow! It's good to read that there are others that are experiencing the same thing I am... no or slow weight loss. Even eating high Protein and veggies, still doesn't do it. I too am walking and swimming 3 times a week and yet the weight is not coming off. I also find that I am constipated, so now I've had to add benefiber to my daily ritual!!! And still the weight is not coming off - - I'm drinking the 64 oz of liquid a day and spending most of the time in the bathroom!!

I was banded 1-30-07 and have had 2 fills, I feel no restriction. It has reduced the amount I can eat, but I don't think it has reduced the intake enough to make a difference.

Granted the band is a tool, but it needs to work in conjunction with a change in life style as well as diet - -but in my case, I keep waiting for it to kick in. It really gets discouraging when you are doing everything you can to loose and it still doesn't want to fall off!!!

<p>Ginger, I know the feeling. I have had 4 Fills and still no restriction. I exercise at lease 6 days a week but have not lost anything in about 3 weeks. I was banded Jan. 26th and have lost 30 Lbs to date. Dont get me wrong I love the fact that 30 Lbs are GONE and I do feel better but I really want to drop my last 40 before August when I go on vacation. So, I am going for another fill on Tuesday next week and HOPEFULLY will hit my sweetspot! Good luck to everyone!</p> <p> </p> <p>Kim</p> <p>Banded 1/26/07</p> <p>Dr Spivak</p> <p>236/206/165</p>

All of you sound exactly like me. I was banded 12-29 and have lost 27 lbs. I keep wondering if I should get another fill, but I get food stuck constantly and it's painful. I lost 22 lbs the first 4 weeks because I had to be on the liquid diet after the surgery. That means I have only lost 5 lbs in the next almost 3 months. It's very frustrating. I am really afraid to be filled too much, because I hate that golf ball feeling of food being stuck, and I am so afraid of pbing and the band slipping. Who knew this was going to be so complicated. I do everything they tell me to do. I drink over 64 oz of Water, I exercise 6 days a week, and I eat small solid meals. I want to see some weight loss!