Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hitting the wall?

I'm a month out today and I've been trying to get out to the park to walk almost every day. I've only been getting about a mile in and by the time I'm done with that I feel like I've pushed myself through an intense workout. I have to immediately go home and lay down and I usually feel dizzy.

For comparison, last summer I did an 18 mile bike trail and I didn't feel this bad afterwards.

So being a month out I'm not getting in hardly any carbs, not enough Protein, and I'm still struggling with Water. Should I maybe try to "carb load" before I work out? Obviously I don't mean a bowl of Pasta, but maybe some juice?

I would think you need more Protein or liquid... you may want to check with doctor as well...

Just remember, you just had MAJOR surgery... even tho you may have just a few small scars on the outside...inside you are recovering BIG TIME!!! Don't overdo it... do as much as your body will let you, you are doing great!

(BTW, I love your nebulus icon!)

juice will spike your insulin levels. How about an apple, melon, blueberries. Something with Fiber in it so that the fructose absorbs into your blood stream a little slower?

You don't carb load before a work out you use Protein. If your not eating enough to sustain you then you need to talk to your nutritionist and find out whats wrong.

Dizziness and headaches could be from not enough Water.

I limited my carbs to 20-30 per day when I was about a month out - I thought that's what I should do...I felt like crap.

I had no energy.

I then started playing with the numbers and found the point where I felt good - for me it's about 40-50. Once I increased my carbs, I really truly started to feel GOOD.

I was smart about my carbs though - I chose to get my carbs from veggies, added a few strawberries to my shake, had some fat-free refried Beans, etc. The type of carb was important to me - low glycemic is the best for me.

I'm a month out today and I've been trying to get out to the park to walk almost every day. I've only been getting about a mile in and by the time I'm done with that I feel like I've pushed myself through an intense workout. I have to immediately go home and lay down and I usually feel dizzy.

For comparison, last summer I did an 18 mile bike trail and I didn't feel this bad afterwards.

So being a month out I'm not getting in hardly any carbs, not enough Protein, and I'm still struggling with Water. Should I maybe try to "carb load" before I work out? Obviously I don't mean a bowl of Pasta, but maybe some juice?

Try v8 splash &1scoop of plain Protein (20grams) & 16oz bottle then you get protein plus fluids

My Dr said there is a good 6 week recovery period. I am 11 days post op and I'm nowhere near walking a mile... so you're doing great!

Apple sauce and some cottage cheese.

To be very clear, protien is not and never had been and will never be a source of energy. Slow it down and allow yourself more time.

My NUT suggested that I have a Protein Drink or something with Protein in it about 45 mind before gym time if I felt a little slow. Best thing for you would be talk to your doc and NUT :-)

The protien shake before a workout will only help with muscle building. It will not ever help with energy. Keep drinking the protien before but plan on it to give you energy.

Wouldn't the fact that the Protein Shake has calories which equals energy mean that it would give you energy to work with especially since we usually are running on very few calories?

Wouldn't the fact that the Protein Shake has calories which equals energy mean that it would give you energy to work with especially since we usually are running on very few calories?

In a way, yes.

What PP is getting at is your body has to work harder, much harder, to convert Proteins to immediate energy. It defeats the purpose of fighting fatigue and muscle failure.

It's the role of carbohydrates to provide immediately accessible energy to fuel an aerobic workout or an endurance work out. Hence the term "carb loading" among athletes.

I think it's back to some of the old school, poor advise way of thinking: calories in equals cities out. That way of thinking has been empirically invalidated. We all know our bodies do not treat all calories as equal :)