Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stomach protein shakes/powders/Isopure - Need Help

Hi everyone, I was wanted to see if anyone can help. I have tried various different Protein powders, drinks and Isopure drinks. I have tried various different kinds and brands. I can only get about one sip in before I start getting nauseous. They all make me sick to my stomach and I just can't take them. I'm worried because I've been trying to get in as much Protein as possible, but I feel that without these drinks, I will never reach the high amounts of protein needed after surgery. I eat chili, refried Beans, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc. However, putting the small amounts of all of these together in one day, there is no way I can make it to what my body needs. Is there any other way to get protein in? Are there any supplements that we can take in a pill form? I don't know what else I can do but the Protein Drinks make me too sick to my stomach to the point I'm gagging while trying to drink it.

Curios to hear responses because I have the same issue. I try to drink them & gag. I'm three months out and have a very hard time getting in the recommended Protein.

I had the same problem. I'm gagging just reading this. I tried 10 kinds and hated them equally.

My pre op diet allowed solid foods which helped. I forced down 1 shake a day pre op. When post op I couldn't deal with the shakes and I know my Protein intake was way too low. My surgeon recommended milk in diet hot cocoa which helped.

After 2 weeks post op and on soft foods many options open up. Don't worry -- the pre op diet is the worst part (at least for me) ...

I know, that's what everyone tells me.."well you just have to drink them"..that's not so easy when your gagging to try to drink it and the moment it hits the stomach your trying your hardest to hold it in before running to the bathroom and letting it all back out. I can't stomach it at all..as much as I tried. I know this is what I need to do, but there's no way I'm going to be sick to my stomach gagging and throwing up every day all day to get this in. I just can't do it..especially causing more damage to my stomach when it's still healing.

Have you considered getting some of the unflavored Protein powder and mix it in with your chili or Soups? That's what I still do to get in extra Protein. But you didn't say how far post-op you are, but for the 1st 3 months, I know I wasn't able to get in the recommended 60 - 80 grams of protein daily. I just did the best I could and focused on staying hydrated.

Edited by joatsaint

I had that problem too. I found out that I was allergic to lactose. The only shake I like is the ready to drink lean shake 25 by GNC.< /p>

I have the same problem with they whey isolate shakes. But I find if I use ones that have a Protein blend (whey, caesin, egg albumen, etc...I do try and stay away from soy) they are much more tolerable.

My go to is Synthrax Matrix (not the Synthrax nectar fruity ones everyone recommends). Jay Robb ones are also good for me.

Instead of trying one after another that have the same Protein ingredient (whey isolate typically) try ones that have different protein sources. I am almost four months out and try hard to get protein from food sources, but I still can't do it because my portion sizes just aren't big enough. I need one shake or scoop of powder (I like to mix with Fage plain yogert or oatmeal sometimes) per day to get all my protein in.

I use Chike banana and strawberry protien shake mix. I found it to be one of the few I could tolerate, especially the banana. I believe you can order the sample pack from their website chikenutrition.com. I also add PB2 to my shakes to add a touch of penut butter flavor and extra protien. http://www.gnc.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter/product.jsp?productId=15329556. They also have a PB2 with chocolate added. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Egg white Protein by Jay Robb. It's not thick at all.

Try different types of Protein. whey is the most common, but there are many different kinds and you may find one that works. I don't mean different brands of one more chocolate shake, I am talking about hemp Protein, pea protein isolate, egg whites, etc. was a lifesaver for me. Check out whole foods or sprouts stores.

I also found powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth protein quite tolerable when others weren't.

Last, you might try beneprotein brand unflavored whey protein isolate. It is whey, but very soluble. You can get 3-4 scoops into 4 oz of milk or other liquid. Each scoop has 6 g protein. You can flavor it sweet or savory. You can even add a scoop to a cup of hot Decaf tea, it dissolves so well. It is very expensive, though, as it is medical grade. This is what my dr started me out on. We were ordered to mix 3-4 scoops with 4 oz milk and half a packet of no sugar carnation instant Breakfast. The best thing about it is that it is only 4 oz so almost anyone can gag it down, and gag I did LOL.

found if i blend primier Protein shakes in a blender with a few ice cubes i can drink them for some reason it changes the flavor

<p>Hi everyone, I was wanted to see if anyone can help. I have tried various different Protein powders, drinks and Isopure drinks. I have tried various different kinds and brands. I can only get about one sip in before I start getting nauseous. They all make me sick to my stomach and I just can't take them. I'm worried because I've been trying to get in as much Protein as possible, but I feel that without these drinks, I will never reach the high amounts of protein needed after surgery. I eat chili, refried Beans, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc. However, putting the small amounts of all of these together in one day, there is no way I can make it to what my body needs. Is there any other way to get protein in? Are there any supplements that we can take in a pill form? I don't know what else I can do but the Protein Drinks make me too sick to my stomach to the point I'm gagging while trying to drink it. </p> [/quote

All the flavored ones make me nauseous. Isopure unflavored powder works for me. I add it to Soups and it just seems to make them creamier without any added taste.