Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back again, with a random inquiry... I'm 5 days out.

Did anyone try actual foods this soon after surgery, like mashed potatoes or Soup or Beans, soft things, making sure to over chew...Or did you find i t was too painful or make you nauseous or whatever various side effect?

I'd like hear horror stories of this action gone wrong or those who tried it with relatively no adverse side effect.

At 7 days, I tried a variety of mashed foods. When I say tried, I mean 1/2 teaspoon full. My stomach felt like it was trying to grind rocks together when it didn't like a food. Besides the grinding sensation, I'd feel extremely full and some pain as the gas bubbles worked their way around the food. Prepackaged processed food (like Peanut Butter or Vienna sausage) seemed to be easier to digest than chopped meat or any kind of vegetable/fruit. It was about 6 months before I could easily eat tough things like pineapple/grapes/apples or salad.

I tried some potted meat, Vienna sausage (beef and chicken), boiled egg, egg salad, creamy Peanut Butter - I think that was about it. I was really living on a diet of Protein drinks and Cream of Mushroom Soup for about 3 months. Frankensleeve really didn't like real food for a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time!

I'm 16 days out. I haven't had nausea or any complications. My dr advanced me on stage 3 four days early because my sleeve was doing well.

The trick is small bites, chewing 25-30 times while mixing it with saliva in your mouth. It sounds gross but it makes the food go down much easier!

Good luck

I can out of hospital after 5dayd and was put on puréed food straight away and i was find I had Soups took 12 days before I had mash I've had a few smoothies I also brought the big and chunky Heinz Soup and puréed it and freezes them which has helped the most i also tried chicken Thai curry blended and got about 6spoonfuls out of it

Back again, with a random inquiry... I'm 5 days out.

Did anyone try actual foods this soon after surgery, like mashed potatoes or Soup or Beans, soft things, making sure to over chew...Or did you find i t was too painful or make you nauseous or whatever various side effect?

I'd like hear horror stories of this action gone wrong or those who tried it with relatively no adverse side effect.

Im 4 days out. I was told to stay on Protein shakes for 2 weeks then start soft puree foods. I think it to soon. Did you try it? How did you feel?

At 5 days out I was taking cans of Soup and pureeing them. I was no where near ready for mushy food at 5 days. It would have been painful. I did fine with puréed Soups then. Broccoli and cheese, French onion, Bean and Bacon. Sometimes I'd add unflavored Protein Powder.

I went on pureed foods after one week after surgery. At first all i could tolerate was very small amounts of yoghurt and cottage cheese. I tried the egg beaters and that was really hard to get down. I tried mashed potatoes but only 1/4 cup prepared without butter. I used almond milk to mash them with and used one slice of laughing cow cheese to mash into the mix. I served the potatoes with creme of chicken Soup on top. It tasted good to me as it was at least something hot to eat. I did puree a can of Healthy choice soup and measured also 1/4 cup but this did not fill me up and stay with me as long as the Protein foods so what I'd do then is to only drink the broth from the soup and count it as liquid. I could handle Jello still and SF pudding and tea. Some days I just drank my Protein shakes because it seemed like on the days that i ate three small meals that i didn't have time to drink all my fluids. I am on phase three now and still struggling with food. I tried toast but it was hard to get down. The egg beaters are going down better now if i scramble them with a little milk. My fave thing right now is chicken salad.... it goes down easy. I'm not in a hurry to try any other new foods right now..... this is a slow process for me for sure. I made homemade soup today but mostly just drank the broth.< /p>