Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That is very sad to hear that people would do that to other people. We all have the same on going problem with weight and we should be supporting each other no matter what or who we have do our surgeries.

Fathead if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to email me. When is your banding date? They are very nice people this is one thing you shouldn't have to be stressing about. Everything will be great.

Good Luck. Let me know how everything goes for you.

Another question- where do you all go for follow up care or for fills if you've had it done in Mexico? I'm in Ottawa, Canada and am just beginning to get informed.Here too the price would be $16,000.

Please please ask Dr Lopez's staff why they wouldn't call/write/smoke signal/ me back when my band slipped and I needed help so badly.

His staff said people who have negative comments aren't really pts? What else do you think they are going to say? Can I fax you my paperwork or other form of proof?

People can bury their heads in the sand if that's what is more comfortable. Those of us who have been hurt by Lopez are merely trying to warn others.

Remember, I was happy in the beginning also. I learned a painful lesson and feel a duty to share it with others.

Gotta run. Have to get to job number two (after 4 hours sleep) so I can pay off all my surgery costs. THANKS Dr. Lopez!

Christine:faint:

No one is saying that we don't believe you that you have had problems but because some people have problems doesn't say we will all have problems. You find me 1 doctor in this practice or any practice that doesn't have at least 1 unhappy patient.

I personally think he is a wonderful doctor. He has called me at home since the surgery to make sure everything was going well and to see if there were any questions that needed to be answered.

To each his own.

Every Dr no matter how good will have angry patients. I feel for you and the slippage. I am just upset with some people on this board that are telling blatant lies. I did some checking on statements that were made (I checked with Allergan, the company that makes the Lap-Band) The person there completely discredited some statements that were made on here. I just hope people will be careful and do their own research and not just take someones word for it.

I am set to be banded on Sept 5 and can't wait.

I am considering Dr. A. Rodriguez of Monterrey, Mexico, but I have only been seeing posts by Dr. Oritz and Dr. Rumbaut. Has anyone used this dr.?

I used Dr, Zapata in Monterrey Mexico. Price was 7500. He and his whole team were great!!!!!!! I loved them. Price included everything but airfare. I went on July 27th or thirteen days ago. I have lost 15 pounds so far. Good luck!!!!

No one is saying that we don't believe you that you have had problems but because some people have problems doesn't say we will all have problems. You find me 1 doctor in this practice or any practice that doesn't have at least 1 unhappy patient.

I personally think he is a wonderful doctor. He has called me at home since the surgery to make sure everything was going well and to see if there were any questions that needed to be answered.

To each his own.

How about.....Doctor Francisco Gonzalez in Tijuana, Mexico? I have yet to meet one unhappy patient, I've done a lot of research I know he has over 10 years doing lap band surgery, over 2,500 lap band procedures, I just haven't met an unhappy one. Impressive, isn't he? I got mine on July 24th, my weight loss is consistent, I am having a little trouble with the diet, but I'm getting used to it. Slowly. Very slowly!

Looks like you did your research for a while any pointers on what really matters to be able to find the best Dr. and best facility ? also for me the cost is very important since I will be self pay the best $ for the best service ...I don't want to risk having the surgery done in a place that does not meet the US requirements and end up paying the consequences for my budget issue ,but for the amount I would be charged in the US ,I would have to be saving for I don't know how many more years and since I hear there's lots of nice places and excellent doctors with alot of experience thats the main reason why I want to have it done in Mexico,so any help will be greatly appreciated.:help:

Looks like you did your research for a while any pointers on what really matters to be able to find the best Dr. and best facility ? also for me the cost is very important since I will be self pay the best $ for the best service ...I don't want to risk having the surgery done in a place that does not meet the US requirements and end up paying the consequences for my budget issue ,but for the amount I would be charged in the US ,I would have to be saving for I don't know how many more years and since I hear there's lots of nice places and excellent doctors with alot of experience thats the main reason why I want to have it done in Mexico,so any help will be greatly appreciated.:help:

I am having it done by Dr. Lopez Corvala. All the research that I have done indicates that he is very good at the surgery. He may not be the most personable pne out there but you are not looking for a friend you are looking for a surgeon. He charges $8000 which includes airfare. I am using a third party group to schedule it and they are going to provide a translator and arrange my trip. They are charging $360 and I feel that added little extra is worth it.

i have also heard good things about Dr. Ortiz and a couple others in TJ.

I understand you completely and I'll tell you much like I would tell anyone else, make the phone calls! read other forums, do your work. There is an endless amount of material on the web for research into weight loss and surgery, because like another person posting put it: it's your body, it's your health, it's your life. One thing is certain, you will not want to become involved with someone who, (in the words of Fathead) is not personable!

I would normally start out "I'm sorry Fathead but I must disagree....". The fact of the matter is I'm not sorry and I should not have to apologize!

Why do you think most of here in this forum got or are in the process of getting Lap Band surgery? Why are you looking to get lap banded? Is it because you can stop overeating anytime you wish but the prospect of getting major surgery in a foreign country appeals to you? Or maybe your gym membership is too expensive? Well neither of these was the case with me. I got lap band surgery because I could not lose the weight that would eventually kill me by trying dieting and exercise. And how do you think that made me feel? Emotional? You better believe it made me emotional, almost every day, no correction, every day. Finding a doctor that could relate to my feelings and make me feel like it was not my fault was very important to me. Sure the technical stuff was just as important, but just as much as important the doctor's attitude towards me. Annie I feel that you should become part of the surgeon's family of patients, and that he and his team should make you feel that. Fathead says you are not looking for a friend, maybe not, but I 'll tell you one thing, when you meet the man (or woman) that in a few hours is going to have his hands inside your guts, and you are face to face with him (or her) there's no better feeling in the world at that moment if for just one second you feel he is your friend. You are at ease. Weight just lifts from your shoulders. You can sleep. Maybe I'm an emotional type, whatever it is, that's my experience. Emotions played an important role in becoming and being overweight for me, they played an important role in choosing a team for my weight loss surgery and continue to play a great role in my weight loss journey. At this moment my greatest emotion is joy, I feel it anytime I can talk about how great things have turned out for me. I'm not going to tell you to follow your heart on this, it would be naive. You need the hard facts. But do listen to it, even if only a little. There, I said it.

P.S. What was it you got for the additional $360.00 Fathead? I didn't get that part, sorry Annie its just that you did say cost is very important and you are on a budget, was it the translator? or the travel arrangements? I don't know, just wondering.

For the $360 they are scheduling everything from transportation, accomodations, a translator for 3 days (because I don't speak Spanish), I get another resource other than the surgeon for questions and support, they set up my post-op fills. I am sure there is more I am forgeting.

As for the surgeon being a friend.... I am a very rational, fact based person. I try not to let emotions play a role in my decisions. I come from a science/lab background so I understand that some of the most gifted people in the medical industry have zero people skills. Surgeons are the epitome of this. The best surgeons I have dealt with are the most boring people. I agree that you want to be put at ease by your Dr. I am put at ease by their skill set not they ability to make conversation. That is just me. It all depends on your personal preference.

Still waitingfor someone to answer my questions?

1.What does Dr Lopez say about his unusally high number of slips and complications?

2.What does he say he will do for you when your band slips because of his poor placement?

3. Does he NOW promise that he will return your phone calls when they are regarding a life threatening problem?

4. His asst. will do all the fills. You will never see him again. Is that o.k with you?

Again, off to job number 2 after only 3 hours of sleep. Good times! This time next year I will be ALMOST paid off I hope.

Christine:faint:

I'm new to the forum, but have already decided that Mexico is the way for me to go. I'm going to have to self pay, which is still goign to be difficult because my credit sucks, but i'm hoping to get my mother to co-sign a loan for me.

Anyway, I found a Dr. Jose Rodriguez located in Acuna, Mexico, that charges $7750. You just have to get to San Antonio and they pick you up there and drive you about 2.5 hours to Acuna, which is just across the border from Del Rio, TX. Since, I live in Houston, getting to San Antonio is easy.

My question is has anyone had their procedure done by this doctor?

I WAS THINKING ABOUT HIM TOO, WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING TO GO?PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED WHATEVER YOU DECIDE. I'M FROM HOUSTON TOO.:)