Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea and Sleeve Surgery

Anyone and everyone please help! I had my surgery consult and my doc said he wasn't requiring me to get a sleep study but as my insurance had already covered it I went ahead. Sleep study revealed I have severe sleep apnea and now I'm supposed to wear the cpap machine but I have anxiety anyway and the thing sent me into a full blown panic attack and I fled the machine fitting sleep study. I'm going to keep trying but if I can't do this I'm afraid I won't be able to have the surgery. I emailed my surgeon for his thoughts but just really need some support from all of you. I've had such angst over this whole thing so please be gentle in your responses. Just get over it or you have to do this is not what I can hear right now. I assume my surgeon wasn't going to have me do this because he recognizes that obesity and sleep apnea go hand in hand. Anyone have similar experiences to share or words of encouragement? I'm just beside myself with this.

Thanks.

I have sleep apnea and can tell you from experience, at about my heaviest, when I started wearing a mask I felt a lot better. I stopped all the stuff they tell you about (snoring, teeth grinding, etc.) and truly had the good night's sleep I never had experienced.

Getting used to the mask took a while. I don't have a high anxiety level but don't like being enclosed or surrounded. I took baby steps wearing the mask while awake for increasing periods of time then trying it when going to sleep. It didn't get comfortable overnight and I can't say it ever is really pleasant. I have a mask and headset model made just for women that is lightweight and streamlined. Maybe you could get that too. There are also different delivery systems like nasal pillows which I never investigated.

I can't say how this will effect your WLS journey but I needed it as a condition since my BMI is below 40.

Best of luck to you

Maybe do a little research on the negative side affects of having sleep apnea and not treating it. It's serious business, those alone scared me into getting it and using it! Also I was in a bad car accident I fell asleep at the wheel and hit a tree doing 55mph head on, on my way to work. (I never ever ever thought I could fall asleep at te wheel) I had not been getting proper sleep for some time. After one use I noticed my energy levels and alertness increase and after two weeks of using it I felt like a new person. Now it doesn't mean I don't hate it or have a hard time falling asleep with it. And it did take a few masks to find one that I like. I did have to start taking melatonin at night to fall asleep with it on as I have bad anxiety, and even then there are nights I rip it off my face or get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and don't put it back on. I make the effort to most times. Don't be afraid of using it, be afraid of not using it... It will save your life.

I've been using the CPAP for for probably 7 years. I never had anxiety or trouble at the very beginning that some people have. I love it almost from the beginning. I am sound asleep minutes after I put that mask on and usually sleep through the night. Doctors are telling me that after I lose the weight there's a good chance I won't need to CPAP any longer. I'm not sure I want or can give it up. A lady friend of mine believes it's all psychological that I go to sleep so quickly with it. That might be the case but all I know is I go to sleep quickly no tossing and turning for me.....:-)

Good luck with it, and embrace it. I'm sure in time you going to like it.

Ask them about the nasal pillows. They are tiny compared to the mask (Google them) and have less of a chance of inducing anxiety.

I also have sleep apnea and have had it for quite awhile. I'm on my 3rd CPAP machine and I have to tell you ....I've never gotten used to it. I am quite anxious when it comes to having anything around my head and face and though I know there is forced air pressure, I feel like I am being suffocated. I never found a mask that was comfortable, and believe me, I've tried dozens of them!! The nasal pillows are by far the best or at least easiest to tolerate. All of my doctors stress how dangerous the Sleep Apnea is.. not to mention that it causes weight gain and could slow down you weight loss after surgery. I do try to use it but I have to say I am not 100% compliant and I remove it many times in my sleep in the middle of the night. I can only relate my experience, I don't know how to make it easier for you...all I can say is try it. A friend of mine was hesitant about using a cpap until his doctor showed him the video of him sleeping. He flipped and flopped all night like a beached croaker. It made a believer out of him and now he is sold on his CPAP. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Good luck.

Okay so my surgeon responded to my email with a brief "I'd move forward with the sleeve and not pursue cpap." THANK GOD! I'm still going to try but it is a huge relief to know its not a make it or break it deal for my surgery which will probably greatly improve the apnea. I'm truly not having troubling symptoms that led me to the sleep study so I'm not highly motivated to push through. I don't have headaches and feel tired during the day or trouble concentrating, none of that. Again, I will try because I am curious to know if I will feel more refreshed. Thank you all for the support and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

sleep Apnea is a life threatening thing.I have had a machine for a few years and until I found the mask called "GoLife for Women" I hated it. This mask is awesome, just has nose pillows. I wear it and sleep 8 or 9 hrs a night.

With enough wt loss I am hoping to someday not need the machine anymore but for now you better believe I USE it

Anyone and everyone please help! I had my surgery consult and my doc said he wasn't requiring me to get a sleep study but as my insurance had already covered it I went ahead. Sleep study revealed I have severe sleep apnea and now I'm supposed to wear the cpap machine but I have anxiety anyway and the thing sent me into a full blown panic attack and I fled the machine fitting sleep study. I'm going to keep trying but if I can't do this I'm afraid I won't be able to have the surgery. I emailed my surgeon for his thoughts but just really need some support from all of you. I've had such angst over this whole thing so please be gentle in your responses. Just get over it or you have to do this is not what I can hear right now. I assume my surgeon wasn't going to have me do this because he recognizes that obesity and sleep apnea go hand in hand. Anyone have similar experiences to share or words of encouragement? I'm just beside myself with this. Thanks.

I was in the same boat. Didn't know I had sleep apnea till pre testing for surgery. I have anxiety and it went bazerk when I had to wear the mask. I did it because I knew the severity of sleep apnea. Not going to lie, occasionally I would skip it. Three months post op I DIDNT have to wear it and my sleep apnea went away! Keep positive! Best wishes!!!

Thank you Resterness! Shmily I get that it can be life threatening, that's why I'm pursuing surgery.

I am 9 months post. I stopped my cap once below 200 pounds. I understand the struggle with the mask. I used a fan. Put it next to me and pretended I was laying next to the ocean. It helped. I had such a hard time in the beggining with the mask but soon learned to love it. Now I actually miss it. Crazy!

Thank you Resterness! Shmily I get that it can be life threatening, that's why I'm pursuing surgery.

I am 9 months post. I stopped my cap once below 200 pounds. I understand the struggle with the mask. I used a fan. Put it next to me and pretended I was laying next to the ocean. It helped. I had such a hard time in the beggining with the mask but soon learned to love it. Now I actually miss it. Crazy!

Did you have another sleep study done when you hit 200 Lbs...

I had severe apnea for the longest time. I was tired all the time and took naps every afternoon. I went for a study about 2 years ago as a result of CAD. sleep apnea is very dangerous and contributes to coronary artery disease. I started wearing the mask and noticed a huge difference. I had VSG in February and have lost almost 50 lbs to date. the apnea is GONE. no more mask.

I believe I read somewhere that apnea resolution is somewhere around 75% for post bariatric surgery patients.

You could try a nose pillow instead of the full mask. It's a little better. If you can get used to it you will have the best sleep. I just started back using my machine because I had headaches everyday and was falling asleep in the afternoon.

I was told I had severe sleep apnea. I got the cpap and tried quite a few different masks. I have never been able to get used to it. I would lay awake for hours and finally when I took off the mask, I would fall asleep. They made me bring the mask when I had surgery. I know I had one on when in the recovery room, but I didn't use the cpap during my hospital stay. Truth be told, I had bags under my eyes that were huge while I tried to use it. Three months later, I'm still not able to wear it. Since I stopped trying to use it, I sleep much better. I've lost 47 pounds between my own diet and the sleeve surgery 6 weeks ago. My husband says I don't snore anymore. I for one, am praying that my apnea goes away because I am one of the cpap failures. It was a very expensive experiment :-(