Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with pre-op diet

Hi. I went back and forth all say trying to decide if I should post this or not, because I saw a similar post a few weeks ago, and in my opinion, the comments to the lady that posted were downright rude and condescending. I decided to go ahead and post, because this is supposed to be a forum of support for times when were having a hard time, right?!?! Please be kind to me if you choose to reply...

I'm having the sleeve this coming Thursday and have been on a preop Atkins induction diet for the past 11 days (high Protein and low carb) Last week, I followed it perfectly, drank my Water, logged my intake, and totally kept my carbs to below 20 as instructed. I lost 12 pounds. However this week, as surgery approaches, I'm finding it harder and harder to stay on track, and much hungrier. I start my day off well and as the day goes on, I do worse and worse. I have eaten a big dessert or candy anything like that, but I sneak a slice of cheese, or a handful of sesame seeds in mindlessly. I was never much of a snacker at all, but these past few nights, I keep sabotaging myself and grabbing whatever foods I see. Is this "head hungger"? Or stress eating? I don't know. I just hope this doesn't mean that I'm not ready for the surgery and that I will fail once again post op. Wow is this a hard adjustment already. Anyone else ever feel this way getting so close to surgery, feeling stressed and finding it hard to stick to the preop diet?!?!

Edited by Nurse96

I think this is a symptom of emotional eating with a healthy dose of self sabotage. My guess is you're going to be fine for your surgery but only if you can nip it in the bud now. One suggestion I would try to to keep a notebook or even the recorder option of your phone handy. Before you eat ANYTHING, take a minute or two to reflect on what it is and why it's going in your mouth. You may still make the less positive choice, but when you identify those moments where you're feeling out of control, you'll have more ammo to combat them in the future. Just think about 8-9 months from now where the physical deterrents from eating too much have gone away and you are simply left with your head making the decisions. You'll be happy for the practice now!

I've been struggling too. .. It's when my children have their Snacks that I tend to cheat. .. At work I'm fine at night for dinner I'm fine. For snacks my nut told me I could have sugar free Jello and Popsicle. Also boiled eggs and yogurt. Maybe you could all of you could ask about those... That's what I did! Good luck!!

Thank you both. I always start out strong in the morning, but it's like my willpower decreases as the day goes on. Like I said, I haven't had anything really "bad", but I've definitely had trouble keeping my carbs below 20 each day, especially the last few days. I'm wondering if I was doing better last week because I had better control of the carbs, and now that I don't, it's causing me to overeat (due to the carb cravings). Tomorrow is a new day, and I'll try once again. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

Since you say you're not normally a snacker, my first thought is that it's your body craving carbs. I've come to realize that when I'm tired or feeling weak, I start craving carbs. I think my mind knows that I'll get a temporary energy boost by eating some sugar. I wasn't perfect on my pre-op diet, but I was able to stick to eating low carb. I never got carb cravings, but I did miss eating solid food and I ate some meat.< /p>

I appreciate your honesty and I can relate to you. Im having the exact same struggle. I started out strong the first week and have had a complete melt down of will power the second week -ugh. I have just consoled myself with knowing that getting the sleeve is the tool that I need. I had a lap band for several years and really loved it and used it as that extra help to keep my eating in control. I can't wait to feel the weight lifted off of my shoulders after surgery. Thx for sharing.

Thanks, Maples, for your response. I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in this. I just keep getting so mad at myself, knowing that each day is one day closer to surgery and I'm still not following things as well as I should have. Today was better. I've really monitored my carbs, and did great until dinner time. I don't know if I let myself get too hungry, or why I seem to be famished after 5 pm. I did go over by about 5 carbs (I'm allowed to have 20 carbs, and I had 25 today), but not nearly as bad as I did a few days ago. I'm praying that I have my head on straight and that this mindset continues. Carbs have always been my downfall, so this is just a huge adjustment. I guess it's a good way to prepare for the surgery and how I'll be eating post op. Hopefully these first few months after surgery, I'll have trained my stomach and my mind enough to make much better habits by the time I start getting hungry again down the road. Thanks to everyone for your support. I know that I can do this, I'm just down on myself when I struggle with carbs especially. Best of luck to each of you in your journey!

Nurse96 - I am not quite at the starting point of the 2-week pre-op (my first day will be the day of your procedure :unsure: )

The pre-op requirements seem to vary by the dr. or facility, some with only a two day pre-op diet. You have done great to come all this way and only "cheat" with a piece of cheese or sesame seeds.

I have tried to watch my intake since I made the decision to be sleeved, knowing as the two week mark got closer I would probably make some not so good choices...or justify my choice by thinking I am never going to eat ever again :P (I had a whole pint of gelato for dinner--twice last week.)

It is hard to change the habits we have had for so long and with the added anxiety of an upcoming life change...don't be so hard on yourself. You are almost there...stay positive...you've got this!

Hi, Nurse 96

I'm not yet on my 2 week pre op diet, but can surely understand the feelings that you are experiencing. I'm starting to modify my diet, not drinking 30/30 with meals and eating more slowly, trying out Protein shakes to find ones that I can at least get down that don't smell like a monkey's butt. When I get off track, I tell myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, I'm never going to unlearn decades of bad habits without some detours along the way.

Be kind to yourself and you can handle this-I figure that my liver will have to shrink with such a significant calorie reduction when it's my turn.

Thank you so much for your support, Newbeginning2014!! I typed my response three times, and then realized that my computer wasn't connected to the internet, so I apologize in advance if my response shows up multiple times here. It's so nice to know that you can relate to the struggles that I'm having right now.

As much as I tried last night, my phone wouldn't let me edit my profile...it was actually sunflower seeds, that I was eating nonstop, not sesame seeds. I have found that sunflower seeds must be a new "trigger food" for me. It seems like every time I walk into the kitchen, I have to grab a handful or two (or more). I have learned that I can't have them in the house anymore. They sure do taste good, but they are VERY addicting to me. Thanks too, for being so honest about the gelato. I can relate to that 200%!! It's like I'm so torn... On one hand I know how important it is to shrink this liver of mine before surgery, but yet on the other hand, I keep thinking that this is the last time I can eat certain things, and I really don't like that part! I know that's not true, and that in the future, I can eat most anything that I'd like, just in much smaller amounts, but right now, my mind can't seem to understand that idea. It's like I'm in survival mode or something! I'm hoping that tomorrow is better than today (which was much better than yesterday), and that before I know it, it'll be Thursday, and then I won't have much of a choice to eat like this anymore. I guess, in a way, it just solidifies my decision to have this surgery...obviously, this isn't something that I have been able to do on my own, and I do need this "tool" to succeed.

It's so nice to have the support of someone who can honestly relate to how I'm feeling! When is your surgery? I wish you the best of luck in your pre-op diet (starting on my surgery date of all days!!), and hope you stay in touch when you can. Take care and thanks so much for letting me know that i'm not alone in this journey!

Thanks so much, Pkdvm! It sounds like you are making some good decisions in advance that will help you be ready once your time for the pre-op diet comes. I did some of that (ordered several shakes to try, Vitamins, bought a vegetable steamer, indoor grill, increased my Water intake, etc.), but didn't really watch my carbs until I started this pre-op diet. I guess it's been a shock to my system or something. Best of luck to you in your journey! Look me up when it's time for your surgery and I'll give you a status update on how I'm doing if you'd like to hear it. Take care, and thanks again for taking the time to offer me some support.

Nurse96- ahhh....sunflower seeds makes much more sense!! I was trying to imagine someone eating those little seeds off the top bun of a Big Mac by the handful! :lol: Hey, to each his own - sunflower or sesame seeds...it could have been worse, they weren't peanut m&m's!

I understand the trigger issues, the best defense is to not have those foods easily accessible. If I buy "bad" things those will be the items I focus on and will eat until they are gone, but the last loaf of bread I bought didn't even get touched until it was green and fuzzy. (not that bread is "good" but it was whole grain and I am sure it would have been better for me than gelato!)

I figure my liver has had more of a work out than the rest of my body (except maybe my mouth.) It is probably just now getting out of the "nearing shut down" stage from the old college days :P I don't know how fast or slow the liver shrinks or expands but with others having a two day pre-op diet I am guessing it is fairly quickly. (note to self to check into that) Maybe the heavier or greater BMI a person has equates a fatter starting liver...at least that is what I am hoping. I don't want to go through this to wake up and have the dr. say "sorry we didn't sleeve you because your liver was out of control."

I am hoping the theory of how the sleeve also removes/reduces the hormone Ghrelin is true and it will not only eliminate the feeling of hunger/appetite stimulation but allow me to finally stop the battle with food in my head. I am looking forward to enjoying the new changes and no longer justify the old habits.

You are getting close to a moment in time that will change your life forever. You have a great outlook. Sometimes looking at the big picture is overwhelming. (two weeks no solid food...) Accomplishing shorter term goals (no seeds the next time I walk in the kitchen) keeps you motivated. Don't get discouraged and don't be too hard on yourself. You will be on the other side in no time!

My date is 4/17/14 I have kept my decision to do this pretty quiet. The first person I told, just out of respect, slammed the idea and I decided then and there I was not going to argue/explain/defend my decision to anyone. I have taken care of so many other people for so long and have not taken good enough care of me. This is the year of my new beginning. I hope you keep posting so we can follow your journey. I look forward to staying in touch with you up to and after your surgery date!