Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing Motivation and support from fellow banders!

I'm really needing a support system. I've had my band for 3 years and lost 100 lbs! I was doing amazing and feeling great. Life got hectic and my depression started to kick in and I've gained 50 lbs back and I'm feeling so lost. So the end of last year I had major health issues and was hospitalized, I could not swallow the antibiotics because my body was a mess and had to have my band unfilled a fair amount. At that point I was down 80 but up 20 from my lowest band weight. Then my new health insurance started January 1st and does not cover anything for my band so I just figured I could do this on my own. Obviously not....I'm scheduled for my next fill in a few weeks. I'm dreading the dr's reaction to my failure and I can't seem to find the willpower and motivation I once had to eat healthy and work with my band.

I just need a friend that understands and some positive words. I have messed up and I failed my band but I'm ready to work with my band and get back to being healthy and eating right. Please share your struggles, some positive words and help me through this! My family and fiancé are so amazing but they don't truly understand and I need someone to relate to...

Your doctor should know that sometimes life gets in the way and your health takes a backseat! Don't feel ashamed! You had the guts to go and get a fill and that's what they are for.

What you need to focus on now is getting back into mindset of banded eating and rules...this is what I'm working on after gaining 50 lbs after getting pregnant and getting a partial unfill (I was 97 lbs down). I'm getting another fill on Tuesday and have decided to eat like I'm in the green zone already. Cutting out breads and thick pastas, detoxing from sugar/chocolate (my weakness), and upping my exercise and Water intake!

I'll help you if you help me! :)

I'll pretend you're going to my doctor. Dr Chae would just say, "Hey, life happens" and then advise you on how to turn it all around. Bariatric doctors know their patients and why and how we became obese. Especially if we've had other medical complications.

Erin, I'd love to help you as well! I've been trying to get back to the gym and it seems like I do so well and then something happens. I got bronchitis this week when I had planned to start back on Monday. Now I'm on prednisone which is making my whole body swell and my hunger out of control. I'm off the prednisone in 3 days and hoping my cough is better so I can work out without making myself more sick. You are exactly right, I need to eat like my band is properly filled and I'm having a horrible time with cravings and then I give in. I'm going to try to start again tomorrow and hope I can do this! I think we're in the same boat of weight lost and gained so lets do this together!

Congrats on the baby also :)

Your doctor should know that sometimes life gets in the way and your health takes a backseat! Don't feel ashamed! You had the guts to go and get a fill and that's what they are for. What you need to focus on now is getting back into mindset of banded eating and rules...this is what I'm working on after gaining 50 lbs after getting pregnant and getting a partial unfill (I was 97 lbs down). I'm getting another fill on Tuesday and have decided to eat like I'm in the green zone already. Cutting out breads and thick pastas, detoxing from sugar/chocolate (my weakness), and upping my exercise and Water intake! I'll help you if you help me! :)

I love my dr but he really doesn't think "life happens". He's amazing and great at what he does but he acts as though the band is magic and that we should be able to stick to it. I may have a talk with him that I need him to be more positive with me because I dread going there and I think that just increases my anxiety and makes things worse. So I'll let him know that life happened and I'm ready to restart. I did this once and I can do it again! :)

I'll pretend you're going to my doctor. Dr Chae would just say, "Hey, life happens" and then advise you on how to turn it all around. Bariatric doctors know their patients and why and how we became obese. Especially if we've had other medical complications.

Are we starting on Monday? Because I had a bagel for Breakfast :/

Erin, I'd love to help you as well! I've been trying to get back to the gym and it seems like I do so well and then something happens. I got bronchitis this week when I had planned to start back on Monday. Now I'm on prednisone which is making my whole body swell and my hunger out of control. I'm off the prednisone in 3 days and hoping my cough is better so I can work out without making myself more sick. You are exactly right, I need to eat like my band is properly filled and I'm having a horrible time with cravings and then I give in. I'm going to try to start again tomorrow and hope I can do this! I think we're in the same boat of weight lost and gained so lets do this together!

Doglover I am so sorry to hear about your struggles..I understand so completely. I have had my band almost 3 years lost 124 pounds and have recently lost my will power, had some band issues and had to have most of my Fluid removed and fell in love with food all over again. Now, 10 pounds gained, my cute little size 8 pants are getting snug and I feel like a BLIMP. I am so angry with myself, so much so, I eat more crap food..By the way, Erin, put down the bagel!!! Anyway, my doc is a hard nose case. He really thinks you should tough it up baby and follow the rules. When I saw him last week, he actually was kind, gentle and understanding (I really thought it wasn't him there for a minute). He added to Fluid to my band, gave me some soft encouragement and said he would see me in 3 weeks and hopefully down a bit. Well, not down any yet, because I haven't put the crap down yet. I know what I have to do and I know somewhere deep down inside I can find the will power back but only one person can do that and that person is ME. I really need this board to help me. I can vent and confess and still hold my head up. Hey, guys, this bad girl boat has a lot of seats in it..we just need to hang in there together and get over the rough spots and back to the person we were when we got our bands in the first place. I would love to find that person again. She had such willpower and courage. Take care and have a "good girl" weekend.

Melinda in Florida

Erin, you can start when you're ready! I did awesome today, hopefully I can resist having a cocktail tonight as I'm going to a happy hour right now. We can do this!

I felt the same way you did I went back to my doc after 2 ½ years of not getting fills. But he didn't say anything in fact made me feel welcome. Remember you did this for you, not him/her. Good luck!

My home situation is very stressful right now and im prepaing to move next weekend so my diet may not be the best this week...but my husband and I are soooo looking forward to starting over in a clean empty kitchen!

I just went back on Friday after not having a fill or seeing the dr for 3 and 1/2 years. They were very supportive and like you I am very ready to start over. Please feel free to message me anytime and perhaps we can help each other

Yep! Let's start today, I was not good all weekend....life happened ;) but I'm ready now!

Short, I know the feeling of pants feeling tight. I was a size 26/28 and was down to a 14 and a very tight 12. Now I'm a solid 16 and missing those 14's terribly. I'm getting married this year and would love to be under 200 lbs again. (I was down to 190 and never hit the 189 but I'm looking forward to that day now! Like you, I'm looking for that good girl again. I was amazing! I lost 70 lbs in about 5 months. I could walk by cake and be like, "Looks good, but I look better!" I need to find that person again. Hopefully you can join Erin & I with our support system and we can do this together!

Doglover I am so sorry to hear about your struggles..I understand so completely. I have had my band almost 3 years lost 124 pounds and have recently lost my will power, had some band issues and had to have most of my Fluid removed and fell in love with food all over again. Now, 10 pounds gained, my cute little size 8 pants are getting snug and I feel like a BLIMP. I am so angry with myself, so much so, I eat more crap food..By the way, Erin, put down the bagel!!! Anyway, my doc is a hard nose case. He really thinks you should tough it up baby and follow the rules. When I saw him last week, he actually was kind, gentle and understanding (I really thought it wasn't him there for a minute). He added to Fluid to my band, gave me some soft encouragement and said he would see me in 3 weeks and hopefully down a bit. Well, not down any yet, because I haven't put the crap down yet. I know what I have to do and I know somewhere deep down inside I can find the will power back but only one person can do that and that person is ME. I really need this board to help me. I can vent and confess and still hold my head up. Hey, guys, this bad girl boat has a lot of seats in it..we just need to hang in there together and get over the rough spots and back to the person we were when we got our bands in the first place. I would love to find that person again. She had such willpower and courage. Take care and have a "good girl" weekend.

Melinda in Florida

Thanks Zeniada, I'm hoping he will welcome me back. It's only been about 4 months but he's not going to be happy with the 20 lb gain. I know I'm not! The nurses there are amazing and I know they'll give me some encouragement. I think it's great to come back on here and have people to talk to that understand and can help with the support. I was on this site before and it's great to talk to others and get the encouragement. Thank you for your positivity! Good luck with your journey as well.

I felt the same way you did I went back to my doc after 2 ½ years of not getting fills. But he didn't say anything in fact made me feel welcome. Remember you did this for you, not him/her. Good luck!

I'm ready to start today! I'm waiting to get a fill right now! Let's get back on this bandwagon. I gained 7 lbs since I was here in Jan! Not terrible but NOT good! So ready to get this started.

I have 2 job interviews tomorrow, I close on my house on Friday and move on Saturday! Here's hoping me and my band can handle it all!