Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery room question

Okay, that pump is way cool! I've not seen this. My hospital, and any others I've been around have so many "restrictions" but maybe outpatient clinics aren't held to the same? I don't know. I agree leaks aren't common in the first few days but bleeding could be. The higher the comorbidities, the higher the other risks too. I think you're recovery is quite amazing. And I'm just kidding about not appreciating nurses - we're kinda used to being not 100% appreciated for the responsibilities we have. Just playing! I am very impressed with your recovery. I personally thought this was more painful than any other surg I've had. C-sec = not too bad. The GYN surg was kinda bad but more so because I had to go home with a catheter for 5 days. My knee scope = I was 23 and had no clue about surg, I threw up a ton. My gallbladder = I spent an hour in recovery room and discharged from there and it was easy-peasy recovery. This was a little harder. Getting up and moving was helpful. Maybe I shoulda gone to Vegas or the beach to have mine, sounds more fun than my living room!

I woke up in the recovery room and was asked if I was in pain. There were about 4 other patients in there with me, one woman they were having a hard time bringing around. I was then moved to my hospital room and pumped full of saline, pain meds and anti nauseau meds , anti blood clot and antibiotics. I had my surgery around 12pm I was in my room around 2:30pm and went home the next day at 5pm after I had walked a few times and kept down some broth. I was definitely more comfortable at home in my own bed.

Like Crazyjaney, I am a nurse. I worked in a Level 1 Trauma Center for 18 years, all in Critical Care and the last 2 years in the Recovery Room. There are certain standards that must be met before you can be sent to your room. Your pain needs to be controlled, your nausea needs to be controlled, you oxygen levels need to be up, you need to arouse easily, and you need to be making some urine. It can sometimes be difficult to hit that fine line where you are comfortable and yet not zonked out. They can't send you to your room when you're totally zonked out because they won't have you hooked up to a monitor. Outpt surgery is completely different. They can't zonk you out because you have to wake up and get the heck out of there. They give you enough drugs so you're a little bit comfortable and then get you ready to go home.

Inpatient Recovery is a busy place, especially in a big hospital. You have the patients, the anethesiologists, the nurses, the assistants, and various other people. People are always coming and going. I loved working there. :)

I was the first person up for surgery..started at 9 and was over before lunch..there may have been other patients in recovery.. I only noticed about 5 nurses hovering and asking me stuff..I had been extubated and pain was well controlled and was transferred to the ward within 10 mins of waking up..saw my mum and aunty then drifted off to sleep for a few hours..all in all it went pretty smoothly.

Don't try this at home, but I did play about 20 hands of blackjack the evening of my surgery. I was only going to play a couple, just to say I did, but I was winning, so ... my wife had to pull me off the table.

So I'm going to change my surg fron Tj to Las Vegas. Pain pump on one side, draw poker in the other. Drink comps for gambling. And they speak english! (been a nurse 31 years)

It was smoke free, wasn't crowded and I got to sit sipping my Water. Now that is what I call recovery.

Edited by PdxMan