Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A cautionary tale

If you're deadset on believing that Lapband is perfect and can do no wrong and don't want to hear about complications, then move on to the next topic. Given what I've gone through, I think I'm obligated to say something. When I was first investigating whether I wanted to get this surgery for sure, I would have appreciated a lot more honesty and more stories about what HAS happened to people.

I got my lapband in 2007. I followed all the rules and did what I was supposed to - so I'd appreciate not pointing fingers. It is a FLAWED mechanism. I would be shocked if this device never got recalled. I've had problems off and on over the years. Success and failure, both. Since about 2011, I started having problems with severe heartburn, pain, and fluctuating weight. I was in the hospital a few times. An upper GI in December showed a major slip.

I went in for surgery two days ago to have it removed. The surgeon told me it's one of the worst cases he has seen. No fault of my original surgeon, and nothing I had done wrong. He said the band had deteriorated INTO my stomach and was in pieces. He had to open up my stomach to get it out. I now have two drains - one coming out of my gut and one through my nose down into my stomach. It was supposed to be a quick turn around surgery with me flying home yesterday. The surgeon is keeping me here at hospital until Sunday and the NG tube will be in until tomorrow.

Who knows the state of my stomach once everything has healed. I know part of the appeal of this surgery is that it's "reversible." Is this really what you'd consider reversible?? I urge everybody to read the story in "complications" called "My Stomach Died" and tell me if that sounds reversible to you.

It's a dangerous surgery. I know this won't be EVERYBODY's outcome. But had I known 7 years ago that this (and ESPECIALLY the "stomach died" story) was possible at all, I never would've done it. Do tons of research. Be sure you can live with ANY of the possible complications.

I share this story because I don't want anyone else to have to go through it. Research other surgeries. I refuse to get a revision. But knowing what I know now - if I'd known it in 2007, I probably would've gone with the sleeve or similar. I would do a ton of research and find the worst complications to decide if I could live with that possible outcome. Just be careful, people - I don't want anyone to have to go through this.

I don't think anyone thinks that any weight loss surgery doesn't come with some complications. I am sorry you had to go through this. I hope you are well on to recovery real soon.

It's very unfortunate you had to experience a band erosion. Every seminar I went to, both doctors, all the literature, studies, forums, youtube, all document that band erosion is one of the complications that can happen with this type of surgery.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew of this possibility before my surgery and pulled the trigger anyway. Less than 1% of band complications include band erosion. Slips and dilation are the major complications of band surgery and it's still under 10%.

One would have to wear some very thick rose colored glasses to think that band surgery is without side effects these days. The information is out there now. Maybe not so much 7 years ago.

Thank you for the post. I am always curious to read about long-term complications and any information that can be shared is valuable. It is also another reminder that all WLS are major operations. That said, I don't think anyone can have band surgery these days without knowing about the possibility of erosion --we just never want those statistics to include us! I was reading back on some of you're earlier posts and saw where you had very bad pain in 2009, but I didn't see the outcome of that? Was that an earlier slip? It sounded scary too.

I am so, so sorry you are having to go through this, and I hope a full recovery is swift. Please continue to post through your healing .. You have been an active member and I would like to hear your thoughts.

@@Ladybandito - you know, I barely remember the event. I had to go back and read it. I never ended up at a doctor. That much I do remember. I do know that from that time, there pretty much never was a time again where it felt "normal" to eat. Things would randomly felt stuck and it didn't matter what type of food it was. It was incredibly rare to come across foods that could be considered "slider" foods. Some things went down easy, some did not. It couldn't be predicted.

At the beginning of 2011, I had ALL of the Fluid pulled from my band. That was awful. I suppose I was too tight for too long? That's what they told me, anyway. When they pulled the Fluid out, there was a notable sucking feeling as it was pulled out of the tissue it felt embedded into and I almost vomited. I have had zero fill since that time. So go figure. I had to get checked for a slip when I was having a hard time drinking fluid.

Just curious? Do you take ibuprofen or any other Nsaids?

That is the whole reason people need to not be too tight. When you are too tight it forces the band into the stomach tissue and causes erosion.

About NSAIDs - as a general rule, no. Have I EVER while being banded? Yes. I avoided it as much as possible. When I was having really bad pain that Tylenol wouldn't touch, I got a script for tramadol.

Abusing Nsaids can lead to stomach ulcers which are the leading cause of band erosion. Doesn't sound like that's the problem though. Sometimes we never know how or why our bodies react as it does. Too tight is another. Other reasons, who knows? Unfortunately it happened to you.

Understandable you would feel like you do but for the vast majority of people, erosion is not a complication. So, doubtful the product will ever be recalled or discontinued. I do believe that more patients should undergo yearly fluoroscopic fills/adjustments. This could target most of these types of complications and avoid such a serious consequence for something that should be so benign.

Best wishes for you.