Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill, no fill...

I had surgery about 6weeks ago. I went in for my first fill today and my doctor could not find my port. He stuck me twice, to no avail and then told me there was too much inflammation to do the fill. He told me to come back in two weeks. He didn't order an X-ray, and he didn't say anything about my port being flipped. Anyone else experience anything like this? If so, what were your results?

My doctor pokes around for a bit. I'm surprised your gave up after poking only twice. Mine poked about 5 or so times 2 days ago for my second fill. The first time he got it on the second try. Trust him though. Maybe there truly is too much inflammation. He IS the professional afterall.

My first fill was like this as well however my did Dr. did fluoroscopy right away to find it. My port was nowhere near where we thought it was.

This is concerning to me, as I haven't had my first fill yet. How does it move? I thought it was stitched to the muscles during surgery. Is that not permanent? Sorry if that sounds dumb, but I actually had my surgeon place my finger on my port the other day at my first post-op because I couldn't tell the lumps and bumps apart. Also, the NP does fills at my surgical center, not the surgeon.

My surgeon does his in his office. Ports can flip due to many different factors. I am ridiculously sore today due to him searching for the port with a needle. I'm actually grateful he only went in a couple of times. My surgeon doesn't fill under fluoroscopy... I guess that must vary from doctor to doctor. I assume he will next time if the inflammation isn't better and he is still unable to find the port. Who knows! I will keep you all posted when I see him again. Thanks for sharing.

Wow i'm sorry that you had to go through that. the office i go to doesn't use fluoroscopy either but they have never had an issue finding the port. even through all the layers of fat :P you can still feel the port though i'll be honest even though they show me each time i go where it is i still have a hard time.

fingers crossed the next visit will be better

Mine has had to dig around with the needle to find the actual entry port. The longer you have it, the more scar tissue builds up and makes it more difficult to find.

I think because you are only 6 weeks out with inflammation it's better to be safe and wait. You are still losing, because the band itself restricts food intake. Listen to your body closely! Congrats on your new band!

Try not to worry too much, my port has always been hard to find. My dr has me stand against the wall and he has to push and feel in circles to find mine and it's only gotten harder as I've lost weight. I've had it for 3 years and mines always a little sore after a fill and mine does fluoro. I think the fluoro won't really help him find the band as much as making sure the fluids are sliding through the band properly. Good luck with your next one, try not to get too discouraged!

Thanks DogLover! That makes me feel better. I appreciate everyone's responses.

Once the weight starts coming off, the port is actually easier to find. I can cup my fingers around mine easily

I had surgery about 6weeks ago. I went in for my first fill today and my doctor could not find my port. He stuck me twice, to no avail and then told me there was too much inflammation to do the fill. He told me to come back in two weeks. He didn't order an X-ray, and he didn't say anything about my port being flipped. Anyone else experience anything like this? If so, what were your results?

Ugh! My first fill was a hella experience. I got prodded so much that I looked as if a herd of wild horses stampeded all over my gut. lol Luckily, the X-Ray gal was there, that day and they were able to use X-Ray and finally fluoro to get me my fill. I was sore for over a week, and it took several for all of the bruises to heal. :P

My port wasn't flipped, it was just recalcitrant. LOL So far, I haven't needed a further adjustment. When I do. I'll be sure to do it on a day when the X-Ray tech is in house, just in case. LOL

Schedule your next fill appointment on a day when the X-Ray person is in the house, that way, if they have trouble finding your port, they can stick you under the fluoro and get it done. :D

Lap-Band 09/28/11

The port does get easier to find as the weight decreases. I am down 300 pounds. My port was turned around in January. It happens. Stay strong and lose on!

Hi everyone! Thank you for the responses. I went back to my doctor today to try to get my first fill (after my 2week waiting period). Again, he poked me and poked me and poked me... This time he poked me about 7 times. After he was unable to find it again, he told me I needed to wait two more weeks and "lose some more weight." I put my foot down. I know damn well he finds ports on people larger than me. I told him I wanted him to find it under fluro, and that I was not waiting two more weeks (I also have a 5 hour round trip commute every time I see him). He was sooooo reluctant to do the fluro! He kept telling me how expensive it was and how unnecessary it was. I told him I didn't care about cost, and that I was only going to get my fill with fluro. He agreed, but still seemed reluctant. So, I went under fluro and it turns out the area he "thought" my port was in was about 3 inches north of my actual port... Yeah. I was a little upset by this. To think he was blaming me for the problems! "You need to lose more weight" "Your body has too much inflammation" etc.,etc... When in all actuality he didn't know where the port was, and he was going to make me wait another two weeks. Who knows how long this would have gone on... I did finally receive my fill. I have 3ccs currently, and I am hellaciously sore where he poked me. Again, thanks for the responses! Don't let your doctor bully you! You have a right to know what's going on with your body! ????????????

I always thought they should tattoo a dot on the skin above the port. Who knows?!?!?! Just me thinking and typing a random thought !

Hahahaha! HealthyNewMe, my dad said the same thing! He was all "Well just get a tattoo of it so you know where it's at." Great minds think alike! :D