Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight back after the sleeve

I am a newly sleeved patient of almost four weeks now. I have not been able to eat anything but pureed foods and very little of that so far I know I've lost more than twenty pounds since surgery but Lately I've been reading a lot of articles on people that have had the sleeve and or the bypass who have gained most of their weight back. I hadn't seen this so much on those having the sleeve vs. The Bypass. It seems as though after a couple of years that a lot of Bypass patients can and do regain some or all their weight back. It also seems that after a while that the malabsorption feature of the bypass stops working.

I wonder what anyone else has found to be true about Gastric Sleeve patients and how many of them actually gain their weight back after losing a large amount within the first year. I know a lot has to do with the person staying with the diet even after they have lost all their weight and not grazing or going back to old food habits that led to us gaining weight in the first place.

I want to take full advantage of my surgery now that i no longer have real hunger issues anymore. When I start eating regular food again, I plan on staying on hight Protein and low carb to achieve my weight loss goals.

This surgery is only a tool to lose weight and it won't make anyone thin just by having the surgery. I don't want to be a failure story after I endured so much to have this drastic surgery.

Any thoughts of others here would be appreciated.

I am newly sleeved as well. In fact I am 12 days out. From the research I've done, the sleeve is the way to go. There does not seem to be that huge risk of gaining your weight back. In saying that, of course, we will still have to make healthy choices. I have heard of people having to be re-sleeved because not enough of the stomach was taken out in the first surgery. I don't think I would be interested in that. Although this has not been a bad experience for me at all. I am very happy with my decision and would do it all over again. My doctor said you would really have to try hard to stretch your stomach after the surgery. I'm just going to continue to listen to my body and try to understand when I'm full to stop!

Making lifestyle changes is what will bring success to long term weight loss. This is a lifetime way of eating..lifetime wish of being active..and a lifetime way with dealing with emotional eating.

I too had researched the sleeve a lot before I finally made my decision. In fact my doctors team was concerned about my undecisiveness on which surgery to have. But I reassured them that i just wanted to make a decision that I wouldn't regret. The reason I couldn't make up my mind is because it seemed like the bypass people lost weight so much faster than the sleeve but now I'm seeing that the weight loss is almost comprabable to the bypass. Doctors will even admit that there is not enough long term studies to determine the success of the sleeve vs. the bypass. I think with the Sleeve that we are Forced t make positive long term changes in our diet that will benefit us in the longrun. I think some ot the bypass people go in with the wrong idea that they can still eat a lot of the stuff that got them overweight in the beginning because of the malabsorptive feature of the surgery. I wanted the sleeve because I wanted to make permanent lifestyle changes. Now I'm not sayint the all bypass pts. do this but some have the wrong mindset going in. I knew a lady who still age chocolate cupcakes after her bypass.....and bragged that she could still lose weight and eat junk.

I met one lady before i had the surgery at the grocery store and we talked a bit. She had bypass and lost a lot of weight but was stuck after four years out at 200 lbs and couldn't lose anymore. She asked the doctors if they could do a revision and do a sleeve on her.... They said absolutely not. I see that some bypass pts. do gain a lot of weight back after a while if they are not careful... I do believe it's easier to stretch out the stomach of the bypass pt vs. the sleeve although there can be some stretching of the sleeve as well but i don't think it could ever get the size of the origianl stomach. I know i have trouble eating and drinking as it is...... I can't imagine ever eating like i did before again ever. I think that i made the right decision to have the sleeve as well..... slow but sure is good for me. And I think it's healthier than losing so fast like the bypass people with less lose skin i believe. Time will tell....... I'm determined not to gain my weight back and hoping for a big weight loss as well.... :) The great feature of the sleeve is the abscence of Ghelin....... I am never really hungry..... I feel empty.... true but fill up very quickly once i eat or drink.... I can get full just by drinking liquids now..... In fact today I've only had one small meal and been trying to catch up on my drinking today...... it's so hard to be able to have time to eat three meals and drink all the Fluid. I don't want to get dehydrated. I can tell when I 'm low on fluids.... I feel bad and drained and sometimes weak....... This is NOT the easy way to lose weight like some think. We still have to diet and excercise when it all comes down to it or it will not work effeciantly. The sleeve is a great tool to lose weight. I'd do it again in a hearbeat and wish I'd done it long ago. There does seem to be a certain stigma associated with those having this surgery to the general public. They consider us weak...... On the contrary we are the strong one's We took a proactive step for our health. :lol:

Well said!!!!! Thanks for sharing

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I agree with the ladies above, it is a lifestyle change, I to think that it would be hard to gain all your weight back because from with I read from other on this site that it very hard and painful to over eat... I say take it one day at a time and you will be fine just enjoy your weight loss.

Good luck, I am beautiful :P

My surgeon told me that several years ago, they used a 50 French endoscope to guide to remove the stomach. They realized that was too big, so most surgeons use a 32-42 now. I know mine used a 34 on me. That makes it small enough that they removed the stretchy part of the stomach.

That's very interesting. I think it'd be very hard to completely stretch out the sleeve but one could gain wait with the sleeve by 'grazing' They use that term for people that eat very frequently and even in small amounts that could add up to a lot of extra calories which would lead to weight gain. Thanks.

My surgeon told me that several years ago, they used a 50 French endoscope to guide to remove the stomach. They realized that was too big, so most surgeons use a 32-42 now. I know mine used a 34 on me. That makes it small enough that they removed the stretchy part of the stomach.

Thanks @Mytime45 I have to keep telling myself Iambeautiful.....that's why i chose that name for here.... I haven't felt very beautiful for such a long time now........ :D

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I agree with the ladies above, it is a lifestyle change, I to think that it would be hard to gain all your weight back because from with I read from other on this site that it very hard and painful to over eat... I say take it one day at a time and you will be fine just enjoy your weight loss.

Good luck, I am beautiful :P