Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I am a newbie also. I live in Jacksonville Florida I'm 67 and I'm in my 3rd month of my 6 month waiting period. My first visit with my Bariatric surgeon was in April. My psychologist appointment is this Monday. So now I'm waiting on my cardiologist and should know the middle of July if she gives me clearance. I've gotten clearance from all my other doctors. My endoscopy was done in May. Still debating on whether to have the sleeve or the bypass. Really thought I knew what I wanted and although I am leaning towards the sleeve it seems the more I research and read I have more questions than answers. My doctor is Dr. Ahmed.

Hello there! We are gathering a nice little group here. Welcome. Our coordinator, piercedqt78 is trying to assemble us to meet June 28. I have jumped through all those hoops. My husband and I looked at WLS almost 15 years ago, through many seminars. We finally felt comfortable with the sleeve. We are both 67 and life is good. You will find a ton of info here on Bariatric Pal, and please keep up with our little group here! Linda

Thank you LindafromFlorida for the warm welcome. We have a support group with my surgeon but it hasn't been that helpful. There isn't a lot of people that come even though we are required to visit the group twice. So far all have had or are going to have the bypass. Most everyone is much younger than I am and don't seem to be interested in staying in touch. The only time we talk is in the support group and it just questions asked to the nutritionist. We only have one meeting with her when we first begin the process. So right now there is a lot of unanswered questions.

Thank you LindafromFlorida for the warm welcome. We have a support group with my surgeon but it hasn't been that helpful. There isn't a lot of people that come even though we are required to visit the group twice. So far all have had or are going to have the bypass. Most everyone is much younger than I am and don't seem to be interested in staying in touch. The only time we talk is in the support group and it just questions asked to the nutritionist. We only have one meeting with her when we first begin the process. So right now there is a lot of unanswered questions.

You need to be fully informed to decide which surgery to have. Please read everything you can here, and ask your surgeon. Do not rush it. If you meet us next Saturday we can have a group discussion. Please post a question (new topic) here, and ask "Which WLS do you recommend, and WHY?" This might help. There are some smart people on Bariatric Pal!" I will give you my phone number also if you want to call me to talk. Linda

Hello, I am a newbie also. I live in Jacksonville Florida I'm 67 and I'm in my 3rd month of my 6 month waiting period. My first visit with my Bariatric surgeon was in April. My psychologist appointment is this Monday. So now I'm waiting on my cardiologist and should know the middle of July if she gives me clearance. I've gotten clearance from all my other doctors. My endoscopy was done in May. Still debating on whether to have the sleeve or the bypass. Really thought I knew what I wanted and although I am leaning towards the sleeve it seems the more I research and read I have more questions than answers. My doctor is Dr. Ahmed.

Hello ladybug,

Welcome! I am creeping closer to the end of my 3 month waiting period.... I can relate to what you shared,

Though I am 41, I have had many health issues going on.... I met with the psychologist, and all went well... (I am sure yours will too) I just had my cardiology clearance a few weeks ago, and my pulmonary clearance just this last week.

I have my pre-op class this coming Friday (27th) and then the paperwork etc continues forward. I can understand with deciding surgery is best for you. In the beginning, I was back and forth on it too. For me, the though of some of the additional risks, along with knowing it would involve my intestines..... that was mainly what stopped me from that path. I tend to worry and I truly felt more panicked about the bypass and a lot more peaceful about the sleeve.

(just a note: I am not intending that to be a negative against the bypass procedure or anyone who has had the bypass... I am just saying why it was not the choice for me)

I would suggest to take your time and continue to research about the bypass and the sleeve... really think all things through, you will find deep down which one is best for you... which one gives you more peace....

Please feel free to add me as a friend on here and to keep in contact. I try to check my messages as often as I can.

Hope you have a great day... I look forward to talking more... good days are ahead of us... =)

Hello there! We are gathering a nice little group here. Welcome. Our coordinator, piercedqt78 is trying to assemble us to meet June 28. I have jumped through all those hoops. My husband and I looked at WLS almost 15 years ago, through many seminars. We finally felt comfortable with the sleeve. We are both 67 and life is good. You will find a ton of info here on Bariatric Pal, and please keep up with our little group here! Linda

Hello Linda,

I just saw your post and it sound like we have a local chapter? That sounds great... I am not yet able to get out and about that much, so sadly I couldn't meet on June 28th, but I would very much like to be a part of this group for fellowship and support.

I am making my way toward surgery. I just had my final nutritional class yesterday. I have my pre-op class Friday June 27th. Then all documents etc, go to the doctors office and insurance. They will then schedule me for an appointment with Dr. Ucal and I guess I will know a date at that point. I received my cardiology clearance 2 weeks ago, and my pulmonology clearance was received this week. I also had an appointment with my physician, which was overdue and I was able to talk with him about my making the decision to get sleeved. He was very encouraging and seemed truly happy to hear that I made that decision. (he was one of the first doctors that asked me to consider surgery for my health) So it will be good to know that I have a physician that will be involved with his patients that go through this. =)

Things have been a bit hectic here, but I wanted to let you know, that you and your husband have been a great inspiration and encouragement to me and I am thankful for your friendship. I look forward to meeting y'all one day and celebrating our victories. I hope all is going well for you both. I will talk to you soon.

Sincerely, Angi.

PS~ If y'all get together on June 28th.... please feel free to tell everyone I hope to join and meet with y'all soon. =)

Hello Angi and thanks for the warm welcome. I to have several health issues due to being over weight for years and the main one is heart problems so I am worried about what my cardiologist is going to do. I can only hope for the best. She is my first hurdle. I started this process back in March at which time my BMI was 48. Not much different now but I have lost 20 pounds since then. I am trying to eat better I have cut out all rice, potatoes, Pasta and bread. I feel like a rabbit, lol.I told my girls the only thing missing was long ears and a fuzzy tail.Exercise is not easy either I try and walk in the stores several times a week. It's not to bad as long as I can hold on to a buggy. Will try to keep in touch. Have a wonderful weekend.

Angi, I posted before your last post. Anyone wants to call me for support, 904-465.4299. I am leaving for West Virginia for a family reunion in a week (my it is sweet to be able to travel again LOL). Keep posting everyone, just please let us support each other! Linda

Angi, I posted before your last post. Anyone wants to call me for support, 904-465.4299. I am leaving for West Virginia for a family reunion in a week (my it is sweet to be able to travel again LOL). Keep posting everyone, just please let us support each other! Linda

Thank you for the continued encouragement! I appreciate the support so very much. Have a great time at your reunion! I can relate to what you shared.... I look forward to being able to travel again, even if it is just local day trips.

I am so thankful to have found BariatricPal, and thankful for the connections and friendships that are building. It truly helps to have people who can truly relate and understand what you are going through.

I agree it is great for us (all) to keep in touch.

Talk to you soon, and have a great reunion!

Angi

Good afternoon. Just meet this AM with my psychologists and was cleared for surgery. Only one more to get now. I will be on cloud 55 if my cardiologists give me clearance.

Fantastic! My husband's cardiologist cleared him without any test because they had been discussing it a year or more. I had to have a stress test, and within a few days they had sent the result to the cardiologist, and once that was done, we got a surgery date. Once you have the date, you can focus on the eating plan, and I kept myself busy cleaning out closets so I would not sit around and worry LOL! Keep me posted. I am leaving next week for West Virginia for about a week, but I can still keep up with you!

Linda I hope you have a blessed and safe trip come back refreshed

Thank you! Please feel free to email me ldav@clearwire.net if you like.

Hi I'm a newbie also . I have decided on the sleeve, I have had all my tests and my last thing is my endoscopy which is Tues 9/23. Then I'll just wait , I'm on my 4th month with my primary care recording my weight. I'm in Orange Park, Fl. My doctor is Dr Morganthal at Baptist.

I would love to join your group when you meet again or if you are still meeting! Please let me know.

Wanda