Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2014 Sleevers

Hi Everyone, I wanted to comment on the food issue. My sleeve was done on 3/12 and after watching Penny from 'my 600lb life'on TLC not lose any weight after 4 months after a sleeve surgery I asked my doctor about it. He has done about 4k bariatric procedures in his career and he did tell me that not all sleeves are created equal. Some doctors make them tighter than others. He had a follow up patient that after doing an xray or some such he said he could hardly tell anything was done at all. Of course that was an exception but he has all his patients on a very strict diet. I am on pureed food until day 29 (currently on day 21 now). Crackers (thin) not allowed till day 37 and most foods not allowed till day 45. He has a list of a few exception foods to incude raw fruits and vegitables, Pasta, rice, breads, beaf and pork that won't be allowed till days 90 and 120. Also for example eggs and tuna not allowed until after my pureed phase or day 29. I am in a bit of shock at how some people can and are eating all kinds of foods only a week or two out of surgery. I was sleeved exactly 3 weeks ago today and I can barely handle my pureed foods. I am very afraid to try to anything really solid until my doctor says I can. The only 'cheat' that I have done is to add a couple of saltine crackers to my Tomato Soup. Was getting old otherwise. I have a small booklet with about 30 pages of info in it including sample diets for each phase and there are like 7 phases from my doctor. My main staples that I eat now are as follows: Cream of wheat, Protein Shakes, Water, creamy type Soups, cottage cheese and canned peaches/pears (pureed only) and meat only chilis (pureed only). Ricotta cheese and marinara sauce is on my allowed list of foods but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I'd say go with what works for you but again am a bit surprised that a diet plan was not included with some of your surgeries. I do have insurance paying for mine and I have a PA and a registered dietician who work with me and my eating. So speaking of which have we heard lately from our OP, Kimpossible80? How are you doing Kim?

Speaking from myself and what I've read no one is cheating. They're taking each phase as advised by their doctor and dietician or Nut. Seeing as I'm doing great I know doctor dietician knows her stuff. Never been a fan of conservative methods in any area of my life so I'm glad I got a liberal team who in charge of my health. It's working. Unlike many others I've haven't struggle at any stage nor experience nausea, throwing up or gas. My recovery has been textbook. Each surgeon does it differently. No method is better. To imply otherwise is offensive.

@ lisi287. Wow really. You can eat that stuff already. I was done on 3/20 and I can only have foods the same consistency as applesauce.

@jerseygrl09. Are you sure you gonna have a P &J sandwich. sounds too heavy to have so early.

Yes, every doctor is different and I have felt fine..the only thing I've had a problem with was the eggs...I had surgery two weeks ago and starting tomorrow I can begin regular textured food no more mushy food..except red meat, vegetables and I can only have soft fruits. On my fourth week I believe is when I can add those in.

Hi Everybody! I had my surgery on 3/26. 7 days post-op and I'm feeling good. I haven't taken the pain medication since day 4. I try to have at least 2 Protein Shakes per day. I'm really trying to get all my fluids in but its hard. I'm on a 2 week liquid diet until next Wednesday. Like everybody else I'm having major head hunger issues.

bodyweight.png?ts=1396529521

I am 6 days post op from surgery n lost close 2 20lbs in 2 wks including my week before surgery starting diet excited but I don't see it on myself yet even though people say I don't look bloated anymore

Edited by jerseygrl09

http://www.bariatricpal.com I am 6 days post op from surgery n lost close 2 20lbs in 2 wks including my week before surgery starting diet excited but I don't see it on myself yet even though people say I don't look bloated anymore

I see it in my bat wings lol

Jerseygrl09. Good luck. I'm a jersey girl also. I'm in the Trenton area. I had my sleeve done last week and I have had some downer moments this week. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am already down 10 pounds.

@@karinbuck i hear you i am 6 days post op and having up's and down's how are you doing this week?

This is it everyone I go in for surgery at 8:30am today for my sleeve omg what am I doing. Its 6am here in jersey crying happy scared. My husband is driving me 2 the hospital in freehold as we speak. I kno gods with me all is going 2 be well! Here we go wish me luck will post sat when I get home!

How are you doing?

@jdillion i am 6 day post op and so far so good lil tummy pain here and there down 19lbs have my moments i don't see that I lost people have though its weird. how are doing with your journey?

Jerseygrl......

Questions

1. Can u sleep On your side after gastric SLEEVE I finally can. I am a side sleeper, I tried in the hospital but it was a no go. but at home... yeahhhh. getting up took some practice, I had to use all my arm strength to push myself up.

2. Y does it hurt when sipping liquids I dont have pain when I sip, but if I take too much or too cold, it do get some pain and feel like I need to stretch my upper body, to help it all go down. :)

3. Is my stomach supposed 2 make werid noises.? My stomach and other things were grumbling very loud. I think it was hunger and gas...

4. How long till all this gas leaves u? I heard some take Gas-X. You got to walk around A LOT. keep moving that helped me. but I still think I got some air in there, my surgery was 3/20

5 .burping hurts y? ​Yes, burping, sneezing (OMG), coughing (don't want too)

Sounds like normal stuff to me.. well, sounds like me!

@@maggiemae thank you happy its all normal starting to sleep on my side and new food soon so excited!! i just have been experiencing the sneezing and cough its not fun at all. think most of the gas finally has left me thank god! how have u been doing?

<p>My surgery is March 31. Thank you all for being so honest. Believe it or not, it does make me feel better knowing that some of you are having a bit of a hard time. I'm really nervous about the surgery and reading about some of your problems helps me to prepare myself and to not be surprised when things are tough. If everyone talked about how easy it was and then I had some troubles, I'd feel like a total failure. I am prepared for pain and nausea and I am worried about getting in all the Protein and fluids. It never occurred to me to try a vegetable protein in chicken broth. I'm going to add that to my shopping list. Thanks again for talking about your regrets.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I hope you all feel better soon.</p>

My surgery was also the 31st. How is it going for you? I ha a horrible day one and two but was better yesterday. I think the morphine was making me sick. I am tryin really hard to get the fluids in. I took a shower and feel human again!

"I am 6 days post op from surgery n lost close 2 20lbs in 2 wks including my week before surgery starting diet excited but I don't see it on myself yet even though people say I don't look bloated anymore"

@@jerseygrl09 great news, my bloating was the first to go. Went back to work after 2 weeks and despite being down 36 pounds no one has said anything either. I don't see much on myself either but we are very early, you one week and me only three weeks so look longer term. Where I did notice it is in my clothes. Everything fits much better and I have had to make two new holes in my belt. I dropped about 2 pants sizes too and can almost fit into my old pants that were 3 sized smaller but not yet. I guess the mirror is not too kind to us but at least for me the clothes being looser tells me more. Keep up the good work!

Edited cause I can't spell correctly on my first posting :)

Edited by odesa

@ lisi287. Wow really. You can eat that stuff already. I was done on 3/20 and I can only have foods the same consistency as applesauce.

@jerseygrl09. Are you sure you gonna have a P &J sandwich. sounds too heavy to have so early.

@@maggiemae i kno just craving Peanut Butter i tired sugar free jelly seedless with cream cheese and crackers it was a success

Im going off liquids this fri had surgery march 28. Can I have a Peanut Butter n jelly sandwich I kno my dr said fri I can start grits n ricotta cheese with soft tomatoes any other food recommended?

No bread!! Peanut Butter will most likely sit very heavy in your sleeve also. Have eggs, Refried Beans, Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese instead

@@Clinton6 no bread really my dr said crackers you think that would be okay I fig bread over crackers? oh and do you think I could do cream cheese and jelly! eggs yessss!!! thank you

first of all you cannot eat bread at this point. It would be hard to get down. I wasn't allowed 'toast' until phase 3 after I finished with the pureed phase that lasted four weeks. It's strange how every doctor has different food allowances on different phases. I can tell you this, the first time i tried toast it felt like it got stuck half way down. I had to take a sip of Water (I know that's a no no) but that was the only way it'd go down. I only use the PB2 which is 85%less fat than regular PB. you will not lose weight if you start eating regular PB a lot. I use the Kelloggs cracker crisps..... they are so light and airy that they almost melt in your mouth and you can eat more of those because they are only 35 calories for like 15 of them and low in carbs. I never eat 15 though lol........ I eat them with home made chicken salad. I had a piece of low carb bread yesterday at 35 calories a slice with some of the PB2 on it but I am almost six weeks post op and I still have to take it slow with toast. Please be careful.

@@Iambeautiful thank you def staying away from bread. i know my doctor said start hummus and crackers and tomatoes and ricotta cheese tomorrow . oh wow ill stick with crackers for awhile then. i never heard of pb2 ill check that out thank you! i love those kelloggs crackers forgot about those,. i'm going to try eggs with those tomorrow and egg salad . how have you been doing I am 6days post op

http://www.bariatricpal.com I am 6 days post op from surgery n lost close 2 20lbs in 2 wks including my week before surgery starting diet excited but I don't see it on myself yet even though people say I don't look bloated anymore

I see it in my bat wings lol

@@KajunGumbo aw lol. i guess my belly is gone down :)

"I am 6 days post op from surgery n lost close 2 20lbs in 2 wks including my week before surgery starting diet excited but I don't see it on myself yet even though people say I don't look bloated anymore"

@@jerseygrl09 great news, my bloating was the first to go. Went back to work after 2 weeks and despite being down 36 pounds no one has said anything either. I don't see much on myself either but we are very early, you one week and me only three weeks so look longer term. Where I did notice it is in my clothes. Everything fits much better and I have had to make two new holes in my belt. I dropped about 2 pants sizes too and can almost fit into my old pants that were 3 sized smaller but not yet. I guess the mirror is not too kind to us but at least for me the clothes being looser tells me more. Keep up the good work!

Edited cause I can't spell correctly on my first posting :)

@@odesa thanks. same here guess all that Water wait goes quicker which is good. i go back in a week I'll be out 2 weeks to. aw really no one? that stink :( very cool that's the best the clothes I can't wait for that feeling! congrats way to go very good! yea the mirror def plays tricks with you but I guess clothes are our only way to telling and maybe people I wish you all the best on your journey!! :) B)

@jdillion i am 6 day post op and so far so good lil tummy pain here and there down 19lbs have my moments i don't see that I lost people have though its weird. how are doing with your journey?

I'm still in the 6 months waiting game thing at the moment. Getting everything done that I need to. Only have a chest xray and nut left for insurance requirements. Not on the losers bench yet.