Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have u been advised about eating carbs after WLS? I was totally surprised when my NUT said we will not be eliminating any food groups and carbs was incorporated into the sample menus she provided to us. I thought based on what I've read Sleevers r eating after surgery that I would have to follow a lo carb diet. Now the carbs present on the sample menus were complex carbs but I was still in total shocked that starchy veggies and complex carbs was in versus out.....does this sound right??

What advice were u given about eating carbs post VSG???

I was told to eat them last..to get in a the Protein on my plate first since we are only able to eat a little, then eat your carbs. However I'm gonna be honest..I rarely eat any heavy carbs..potatoes, rice, bread...it all fills me up too fast and it's a stuffed feeling. So I stay away from that stuff.

I too was told to eat my Protein first, veggies second and then if there is room...eat the carbs. I can honestly say that I've had very few carbs. I eat sugar free pudding, dehydrated fruit, and SF applesauce for my carbs.

I was told to eat them last..to get in a the Protein on my plate first since we are only able to eat a little, then eat your carbs. However I'm gonna be honest..I rarely eat any heavy carbs..potatoes, rice, bread...it all fills me up too fast and it's a stuffed feeling. So I stay away from that stuff.

Yes she told us that as well protein first then veggies and carbs last but I was really surprised I could consume carbs had I known this earlier it would have saved me from the food funerals.

I too was told to eat my Protein first, veggies second and then if there is room...eat the carbs. I can honestly say that I've had very few carbs. I eat sugar free pudding, dehydrated fruit, and SF applesauce for my carbs.

Yeah that's the order we were advised to consume our food in as well. Have u had very few carbs because ur already full by the time u get to the carbs or do u just avoid them on ur own??

CurvyCakes, to be honest with you, I was a major Carb-addict prior to surgery. Pasta, in any form, breads, cheese straws, sweets, desserts.... I loved making them and eating them. I know that carbs are addictive and the more you eat them the more you have to have so I make a conscious decision to limit them. Of course by the time I have eaten my Protein and then my veggie... I'm satisfied. I might take 1 bite of a starch but that is my limit. I still crave spaghetti and meat sauce but I don't want a quarter of a cup. I want an entire plate full of it. I love it, but I'm not going to eat it. I can not go down that slippery slope of temptation. I have to win this war against the weight... I have my tools for battle and I will fight with them. Once I lay them down and quit fighting.... I will lose the war and gain the weight.

I have been limiting most carbs and all processed food from my pre-op diet the past month and i'm just shocked how quickly my stomach is shrinking. I echo what others have said about eating Protein first as the sleeve will fill quickly and you want to get that in.

i think this is a perfect example of how we need to alter our lifestyle for long-term success. The weight will come off with little effort post surgery.... For awhile. But listen to the long-term veterans on thiis board. At some point we WILL be able to consume more food at one sitting. We WILL be able to snack if we wish. We WILL be able to tolerate more foods than we will in the beginning. And we WILL gain some or all of the weight back IF we choose to do those things.

My biggest fear isn't the surgery itself. I'm pretty certain I will loose all of the 80 pounds I want to loose to get to goal weight. But will I be able to maintain my weight? As a general rule, I'm not eating anything that begins the digestive process in my mouth. Most carbs break down before they even get into your gut. Luckily, this is a lifestyle choice I have already been implementing most of my life - most carbs are potential binge foods for me, so I've never kept chips, crackers, bakery goods, etc in the house.

As a side note - we need carbohydrates to survive. That's what fuels the brain! But as you stated, complex carbohydrates are the best choice for brain food.

Edited by Bluesea71

CurvyCakes, to be honest with you, I was a major Carb-addict prior to surgery. Pasta, in any form, breads, cheese straws, sweets, desserts.... I loved making them and eating them. I know that carbs are addictive and the more you eat them the more you have to have so I make a conscious decision to limit them. Of course by the time I have eaten my Protein and then my veggie... I'm satisfied. I might take 1 bite of a starch but that is my limit. I still crave spaghetti and meat sauce but I don't want a quarter of a cup. I want an entire plate full of it. I love it, but I'm not going to eat it. I can not go down that slippery slope of temptation. I have to win this war against the weight... I have my tools for battle and I will fight with them. Once I lay them down and quit fighting.... I will lose the war and gain the weight.

I agree totally on eating carbs make me crave more carbs. I have been a carb sugar addict and to make matters worst I have insulin resistance due to my PCOS. Lo carb moves the scale for me but I find it very difficult to live like that over an extended period of time. I have done well this far making good choices moving more and living a healthy lifestyle but sometimes I sit and think can I trust myself not to revert back to my poor habits?? Most days I feel I've come to far to turn back but of course all this became possible by limiting my carbs severely. When I heard carbs was allowed I was so excited but then it hit me like a ton of bricks will that be the beginning of undoing all I've worked so hard for. Usually when I start adding the carbs back all I've lost returns with even more than where I've started.

I guess my biggest reason for posting was hoping to hear how others r doing after WLS that consume carbs. I would love to be able to consume complex carbs and not wreck havoc on myself but the million dollar question is is that possible? Until the NUT said carbs r ok I honestly thought I was sentenced to lo carb hell forever.

If you do a lot of heavy exercise ( heavy weight lifting, marathon or triathlon type training) you will NEED the carbs. Otherwise keep them as low as you can. Sub 50 grams is ideal

I agree totally on eating carbs make me crave more carbs. I have been a carb sugar addict and to make matters worst I have insulin resistance due to my PCOS. Lo carb moves the scale for me but I find it very difficult to live like that over an extended period of time. I have done well this far making good choices moving more and living a healthy lifestyle but sometimes I sit and think can I trust myself not to revert back to my poor habits?? Most days I feel I've come to far to turn back but of course all this became possible by limiting my carbs severely. When I heard carbs was allowed I was so excited but then it hit me like a ton of bricks will that be the beginning of undoing all I've worked so hard for. Usually when I start adding the carbs back all I've lost returns with even more than where I've started.

I guess my biggest reason for posting was hoping to hear how others r doing after WLS that consume carbs. I would love to be able to consume complex carbs and not wreck havoc on myself but the million dollar question is is that possible? Until the NUT said carbs r ok I honestly thought I was sentenced to lo carb hell forever.

My Nut wants a balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy and Protein. I eat carbs, I just make sure to get my Protein in and I've never had a stall.

My Nut wants a balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy and Protein. I eat carbs, I just make sure to get my protein in and I've never had a stall.

So ur weight loss hasnt been effected by them? If u don't mind me asking how much have u lost this far?

As others say carbs come last but are not forbidden. Personally I eat 80-120 grams carb a day. Sometimes more. Usually my macros are 40% carb, 30% Protein and 30% fat. But the 40% moves to fat% sometimes. I am a year out and have lost 116 lbs. I started to eat 1300 cals by 3-4 months out. I am close to my goal now and losing verrrrryyyyy slowly but it's not due to carbs. I found the most important number to watch is sugar carbs. I don't even count carbs overall whatever they are they are. I count protein (at least 65g) and try to keep sugar carbs at 35g or 25 ideally. If I do tat I don't need to count anything but the 1300 cals overall.

Personally I try to keep carbs at 60 g or under. During vacation, like this week, it's been bad, but normally I have no problem keeping to that. I also normally eat a lot of Beans so it's hard for me to stay at very low carbs. I've tried to go lower carb, like 20-40, but haven't had much success with that.

I normally skip bread, rice, Pasta, etc. Never have room after my Protein and vegs. This week have been chowing down on vacation tacos LOL. That's gonna stop tomorrow.

My nutritionist permits carbs, but because I have PCOS and carb addiction issues, I leave them alone for the most part. On my pre-op diet, I am eating more carbs than when I was on Atkins, but am still at what would be considered at low-carb diet. I think I am usually under 60 grams, with the carbs coming from fruits, vegetables, and dairy as opposed to bread or starchy veggies. I am losing weight pretty consistently.

Since you have PCOS and it sounds like carbs are a trigger food for you, it might be wise to restrict them.

<p>My nutritionist permits carbs, but because I have PCOS and carb addiction issues, I leave them alone for the most part. On my pre-op diet, I am eating more carbs than when I was on Atkins, but am still at what would be considered at low-carb diet. I think I am usually under 60 grams, with the carbs coming from fruits, vegetables, and dairy as opposed to bread or starchy veggies. I am losing weight pretty consistently. </p> <p> </p> <p>Since you have PCOS and it sounds like carbs are a trigger food for you, it might be wise to restrict them.</p>

PCOS has been a nightmare. It's like a yo yo effect the more over weight u r the worst the insulin resistance and other PCOS issues u have. Being able to drop the weight is predicted to help the symptoms drastically.

Having dieted what feels like allll my life I want to find whatever my niche is so that I can be successful. Looks like it will be a period of trial and error to find out what my carb thresh hold will be. I feel good at this point after hearing how others on this WLS journey have been able to find their niche in the carbs area in time I will find mines as well. Thanks for sharing.