Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having surgery in May

I'm eating a normal diet. So far noting disagrees with me.

Hanny, I had surgery May 20th and got out of hospital May 28th. I had a hard time with fluids post op. In 1 month I've lost 42 pounds courtesy of my issues.

Had surgery may27th been on a stagnant 23lbs scale wouldn't move

The look on my surgeons face was of great concern. It's been a long painful process and I've been so incredibly discouraged. I'd like to get back to work but my intake has to improve. When I was in the hospital my surgeon reassured me my pouch will open up and I feel that it has BUT, the desire and hunger is lacking. I read some people experience hunger all the time. That is NOT my case. The Bariatric dietician suggested I set an alarm throughout day to use as an electronic hunger signal. Makes sense to me so I tried it but when my alarm goes off my stomach hurts from the last intake which is half the portion expected of me. Needless to say I'm very discouraged.

It sounds like it! Have you been back for your post op appointment?

You had the RNY right?

Ok, this makes more sense to me now. You are more than likely experiencing the same thing I did in the hospital. They would not let me go home until I could tolerate liquids, which took me an entire week to get close to what the expectation was. I hope you're not being hard on yourself. The highs and lows of this entire process is not what I had expected. I think my mindset was, have the surgery and then everything else will be okay. This is by far one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. I left inside when I hear people say this process is an easy way out. They have no idea. The Roux-en-Y operation is basically to allow your body to starve itself for weight loss. It uses the fat storage for energy. It does not hold onto the fat. I feel your pain, it will get better in some aspects and then eventually in all aspects. We have to be patient. I guess I just was not fully prepared for issues with my pouch. You don't hear about these things in all of the classes that are required to take before you can have the operation.

My personal update:

I had my bypass May 5th and I have been slowly healing. I was re-hospitalized because of severe impaction (not fun but I knew it may happen). My system is now working well but it took a while. My food is still between puréed and soft foods. Predominantly composed of one base Protein Shake a day, Greek yogurt, avocado, refried Beans, cottage cheese, canned fruit, low fat shredded cheese, eggs and homemade Peanut Butter. Going to be trying some of my veggie and soy patties this week as my nutritionist said it was ok.

I got my first set of lab results today. Everything looks great but oddly enough my B-12 is now high. I am beginning to lose a bit more hair. I am down 38 pounds and approaching one-derland. I am very happy with my weight loss. I got the ok to start weight training. I started at a size 18 bottom and 2X on top. I am now a loose 16 on bottom and an XL on top. I have given away 4 trash bags of clothes and fit into all but a few things I was to large for. My short term goals are to increase my food intake and variety-exercise-continue to work on swallowing all my pills.

I would love to hear from you all and hear about your experiences.