Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having surgery in May

I did a bad thing I was upset cos my daughter was very nasty to me she has no sympathy for my fear or difficulties with pre op diet etc cos she says I brought it all upon myself - I fell into terrible depression so went and bought a Box of fudge and some shortbread biscuits and ate the lot :-( my op is Tuesday morning - I feel bad and very alone with no friends or family support - I have no family other than my daughter and my friends are in Australia :'( And im in England - I hope I haven't messed up my op by eating bad things.

How are you doing? How was your operation?

Ironic that some of the last few posts were on Constipation. I was just hospitalized for major impaction. I was in tears and shaking like crazy. So now in addition to the liquid stool softener I have been taking we are adding Miralax twice per day, Metamucil, and lactulose. It's very difficult at this stage (puréed) to get much Fiber. I am an excellent Water drinker and was well hydrated going into the hospital. I was given 3 enemas (joy) and the lower portion of things have been evacuated but the upper portion is making its way down. Some of these things will be temporary and I was told I have a lazy bowel. Stopped my pain meds altogether even with that burning left side pain. I have also been pretty active. But hey! It was my choice to have the surgery and I absolutely don't regret it. This was a possible complication but a minor one. I share this with you just in thought that it might help someone else. My ahem! hurts like never before but it could've been something way worse. We will get through all of this!! Sorry about the TMI...

I'm now over 2 weeks post op gastric bypass and im starving constantly - I thought my hunger was supposed to disappear

Sorry to hear about your problem. The RNY gastric bypass surgery I had did the exact opposite. It completely took away the hunger. At the two week stage, you are primarily living on Vitamins, Water and Protein Shakes. Your meal volume should be so small that you are not getting much nutrition from it.

But since you are in England, the process might be different there. I know in Australia, they use a different form of gastric bypass called Omega Loop Gastric Bypass or Mini gastric bypass. This operation is significantly different than the RNY (Roux-en-Y) which I had. It might be that if you had this type of operation, it might affect your hunger differently.

I'm now over 2 weeks post op gastric bypass and im starving constantly - I thought my hunger was supposed to disappear

I'm only 4 days out from my bypass, but I'm almost always starving too. :(

Anybody experiencing any dizziness yet? I am 20 days post op. Just started puréed foods. I am taking in about 64 oz of Fluid / 60 grams of protein/all vitamins/ about 400 calories per day. Usually feel it come on during early evening. All vitals are excellent (I monitor temp, bp,sugars and pulse).?????

I am 5 days post op. Feeling pretty good. I have been getting up and walking since the afternoon of the surgery. Surgery was at 10:20 am on Monday and I was released at 8:00 am on Tuesday. Things at home have been pretty calm. I am not hungry but I am working at getting enough Protein and Water each day. Not quite to the preferred amount of either yet, but getting close on both. BM's started happening yesterday and are happening daily for now. I was taking the milk of magnesia each day but today I switched to benefiber. I think that will work as well and not taste as bad. I know tmi but we all go through it.

I have had only been nauseous one time and I woke up that way in the morning. I got really sick to my stomach and threw up a bunch of foam. After that I have been fine.

I used my inspirometer religiously for the first three days home and I think that really helped with the breathing and getting over having the breathing tube down my throat during surgery.

The one problem I have had is that all of my things I drink, except for Water and non-fat milk, are sweet. I have been craving something non-sweet. I tried squash Soup which was ok, but I tried my flavorless Protein Powder in it and it clumped, even after I blended it it was still clumpy, so that was an epic fail. I tried chicken broth, from the store, nasty. I was so disappointed. So this afternoon I sent my husband to the store with a list of ingredients so I could make my own chicken broth......heaven, finally. I put my Fiber in it and it was perfect.

I hope all the rest of my May buddies are doing well, or feel well soon.

It feels good to be on the loser's bench.

I'm only 4 days out from my bypass, but I'm almost always starving too. :(

I'm having to really work at controlling myself - I actually did a bad thing and munched down a heap of chicken breast I was so hungry ( im two weeks out of surgery) but it got stuck and I was sick. That gave me a reminder but I've never had any pain since op was up eating and walking almost immediately - our diet in UK post op is weetabix Cereal, yogurts and Soups pureed type things - I'm desperate for actual food. I feel a bit dizzy and weak sometimes and I think it's lack of Protein - you get to a point where Soup or yogurts makes you wanna barf! I bought a bar of chocolate (sweet cravings haven't gone) and I ate a few squares but the overwhelming guilt made me throw it away but no sugar dumping syndrome for me either. All in sell I feel as though I haven't had any surgery !!

I had my surgery May 20th and am still in the hospital. I had gastric bypass done and could not tolerate liquids. I've been getting zofran every 4 hours around the clock since surgery, I have a scopolamine patch behind my ear, and as needed reglan and phenergan. It's been aweful for me too. My hands and feet are swollen from IV fluids since Tuesday. I did better today with my fluids so I'm hoping they'll let me go home tomorrow. Did they give you a prescription to control nausea at home?

post-216618-0-58418100-1401081662_thumb.jpg

I was given an anti sickness tablet that dissolves in your mouth im still taking that - I'm now 3 weeks post surgery - I had no pain at all except VERY painful cramps before bowel evacuation with diarrhea - These seem to have lessened now - I'm so sick of Soup I have been eating a few bits to test myself - I font get sugar dumping syndrome and im just as hungry at night as I ever was - exercising self control not to buy cookies!!

Well that's good! Glad you have something to control nausea at home. I cannot imagine feeling hungry though. I have no interest in anything and will be a full time job to put in the minimal nutritional requirement when ever I get to go home. I hope it gets better for you.

I'm so sorry you are having troubles!! That is terrible! I haven't had any nausea since day of surgery had a patch but took it off Friday (lapband removal and bypass was wed 5/21) I couldn't imagine feeling sick. My heart breaks for you both! I only spent 24 hours in the hospital. I actually have been up every day even went shopping yesterday and to a picnic. I'm not hungry at all but have head hunger like I think I want to eat lol I've been cooking hubby food and it smells good but I really don't want it. I've kept my Protein up (drinking nectar cAppucinno) and lots of crystal light and sugar free pops. I only had to do 2 days of Clear Liquids pre op and today is a week since I started it.. And I am down 16 pounds. That has helped motivate me to ignore my head hunger lol. I pray you all are feeling great ASAP!!! I had a terrible time after my lapband in 2008 so I remember how tough it can be. I did a colon cleanse day before surgery and wow I think that helps a lot I also take a cap of Miralax a day and have had no issues with BM. Hope you all feel great today and are excited about this new adventure you are on!! ❤️