Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve Failure and "Desperate"

Unlike many others here, I was able to eat soft solids at 2 weeks out (including chicken or ground beef). I am 2 months out right now. I DO experience hunger--- pretty much every 3-4 hours-- but I also exercise every day (some days at a pretty intense level). I find that starting with Protein really helps fill me up. I cannot eat more than 4-5 oz of anything at a time.

Also, I have found that for some people, the focus is rapid weight loss. I have to admit-- I was one of those folks, initially. But now, I am working on learning how to live my life with my new stomach--- eating foods that are nourishing, and taste good. Moving my body every day. Learning to deal with my emotions without food. Baby steps, steady progress. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience, if I could only get full on 4 to 5 oz, specially with Soups, I can down a whole bowl of Soup, not get full and I don't know if I should eat something else to get full. I try to stay away from eating more, I opt to drink Water but them I'm even hungrier afterwards.

My weight loss is very slow...I think my body was used to the Protein diet and also less calories... so its not responding ....

i have increased my Water and exercise....i hope my stall goes away.

Edited by hopeful2 be slim

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and I am considering revision band to sleeve surgery. I've watched multiple youtube videos, some good and some horrible; therefore, I am very nervous to meet with the new surgeon tomorrow. I like this forum and it is very helpful. Because the band did not work out as well as I thought it would, my biggest fear with the revision is failing. I appreciate how you all give your feed back and encouragement. :mellow: so so nervous!!

You'll be OK... we are different and must everyone does well, I think it also depends on how long you have the band, my band was 7 years old and my surgeon says that my passage was already too loose and in time it should reduce itself. I'm meeting with him next week to follow up and he hopes that eating denser foods will give me restriction, if that doesn't wor

My weight loss is very slow...I think my body was used to the Protein diet and also less calories... so its not responding ....

When did you have your conversion? 32 lbs is pretty good, I've only 12 lbs since March 3

Update on my restriction....

This morning I had my Protein mixed with my decaf; about two and a half hours later I had a English Muffin with bacon and eggs and as soon as felt satisfied I stopped and put it in the trash. I wasn't full but satisfied.

I felt so guilty throwing it away but if I left it sitting around I would probably eat it. My new educated side said get rid of it now. My emotional side said what a waste.

What's more important is that I stopped at the right point. Baby steps, baby steps will get me to the right place. And, the support of you all sharing your experiences.

Please keep 'em coming, we all learn from each other.

I wish that I joined this prior to my surgery because I would've been better prepared.

I've learned more from the forum than my own nutritionist and surgeon.... :)

Thank you delamoras3, I've had my band for only three years. But, it's so frustrating to watch others have the sleeve, brag, lose half their weight within 6 months, and here I am still struggling and my blood pressure is still sky rocketing. I have lost 36 pounds. I've worked out, joined programs, eaten right and then i'lI get discouraged and give up after no seeing the results of my hard work. I am so nervous of the thought of another surgery. Is it the right thing to do? And I am embarrassed to have to do this again. *sighs* I just don't want to continue to feel like a failure if this does not go well. So many times I have convinced myself that "I got this" and another fat summer is in view and another summer covered. After hearing so many stories and watching so many youtube videos...the good out weight the bad, but it's the bad that has me feeling reluctant. Pray for me

You'll be OK... we are different and must everyone does well, I think it also depends on how long you have the band, my band was 7 years old and my surgeon says that my passage was already too loose and in time it should reduce itself. I'm meeting with him next week to follow up and he hopes that eating denser foods will give me restriction, if that doesn't wor

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and I am considering revision band to sleeve surgery. I've watched multiple youtube videos, some good and some horrible; therefore, I am very nervous to meet with the new surgeon tomorrow. I like this forum and it is very helpful. Because the band did not work out as well as I thought it would, my biggest fear with the revision is failing. I appreciate how you all give your feed back and encouragement. :mellow: so so nervous!!

When did you have your conversion? 32 lbs is pretty good, I've only 12 lbs since March 3

Hey, chin up! :D I was stuck with my band for 6 yrs. before I had my revision. When I have the chance to talk about my whole journey with WLS, I do not consider myself a failure. I lost 60lbs w/the band and 2 yrs. into things had regained 30lbs w/all the problems the band gave me. I'm just happy I was able to keep the last 30 off... :wacko: . My VSG surgery was in May 2013 and it has been a slow go this whole time. Although my profile says I've lost 90 lbs...I've only lost 60lbs since May & my sleeve. I certainly didn't lose half of my total in 6 mos...and at this point, when I'm close to goal, it's coming off wee bits at a time.

Now, all this about me aside, what I can tell you is your decisions regarding a revision should be all about you! I am proud to say that I did a second surgery because I know I need the help and the band stopped giving me help. I have been actively attending a local bariatric surgery support group for those times I feel like I'm failing at this. The online community is great, but having those in person relationships also helps. It's helped me stay focused on working the plan and my goals. Another thing I've done is set lots of mini goals for myself. I didn't do this with the band and I think doing it this time has helped me stay focused on success.

For instance...here's my crazy one from last summer. I have a large breed dog door in my kitchen. Coming home from vacay this last summer, a friend had to crawl in my house using the dog door because my house keys had been left with my neighbors and they weren't home. Well, I looked at that door and thought to myself..."I remember crawling through a hole that big when I went caving years ago, I bet I can do it again. I'm going to make that a goal!" And dang if I didn't do it!!!! I crawled through that door, even had my friend that did the first trip through this summer take my picutre! Took me about 2 mos. to get small enough to do it, but I did it. By setting little mini goals along the way I feel like I've really been successful with the process.

Well, I'll stop for now....yes, I'm a chatter box. ;) Good luck!

Thank you delamoras3, I've had my band for only three years. But, it's so frustrating to watch others have the sleeve, brag, lose half their weight within 6 months, and here I am still struggling and my blood pressure is still sky rocketing. I have lost 36 pounds. I've worked out, joined programs, eaten right and then i'lI get discouraged and give up after no seeing the results of my hard work. I am so nervous of the thought of another surgery. Is it the right thing to do? And I am embarrassed to have to do this again. *sighs* I just don't want to continue to feel like a failure if this does not go well. So many times I have convinced myself that "I got this" and another fat summer is in view and another summer covered. After hearing so many stories and watching so many youtube videos...the good out weight the bad, but it's the bad that has me feeling reluctant. Pray for me...

hello...I had my band in feb 2011 and removed it on 24th jan 2014. Band didnt give me much weight loss...maybe My fault...i was not exercising much or drinking Water...but in dec 2013 I started putting on weight. my band had slipped and it stopped working. They also found a thin thread hanging in my stomach!!

Now the sleeve is also a tool and since the body had adjusted to less food and so on...i will have to make more efforts....But i will...Its a life time change.

I had the lap band surgery in 2010, but recently it slipped. Dr. says it has to come out. I decided to have him do the sleeve at the time he removes the band. Are there things I need to know or ask about BEFORE I proceed? Has the change from band to sleeve been easy? Are there things you wish you had known before? Advice?

I had the lap band surgery in 2010, but recently it slipped. Dr. says it has to come out. I decided to have him do the sleeve at the time he removes the band. Are there things I need to know or ask about BEFORE I proceed? Has the change from band to sleeve been easy? Are there things you wish you had known before? Advice?

Well, not sure what to tell ya, but here goes. I would say be committed to the post op plan. If you do this, you'll probably be successful. I've had a very easy time with the revision...but not everyone does. I have found the "full" feeling is different than with the band. That was surprising.

I guess I would say just follow the dietary & exercise guidelines. I feel like I've been successful. I'm down 60lbs since revision surgery and down 90lbs since my highest before the band. I'm in a size I've never seen and a weight I saw 30+ yrs. ago. Feel free to ask any questions...good luck.

I was banded in 2008 and my weight was 215. I am now 180. I only lost 35 lbs. my goal is 145. I run marathons and train/exercise 5 days a week, but I crave sweets all day. I am always fighting this temptation and then sometimes binge. These types of foods slide through the band no problem. I have been thinking about a revision surgery to the sleeve. Would I still have these overwhelming cravings and can you "binge" with the sleeve?

I was banded in 2008 and my weight was 215. I am now 180. I only lost 35 lbs. my goal is 145. I run marathons and train/exercise 5 days a week, but I crave sweets all day. I am always fighting this temptation and then sometimes binge. These types of foods slide through the band no problem. I have been thinking about a revision surgery to the sleeve. Would I still have these overwhelming cravings and can you "binge" with the sleeve?

you need to modify your eating behaviors because you can definitely get a whole lot of soft foods down I.e cake, ice cream, Cookies and the like. High calorie foods are very easy to over eat if you're not careful and no amount of restriction is going to change that. With the sleeve you will more than likely find yourself grazing on sweet stuff if you can't get it all down in one binge. I suggest seeing a cognitive or behavioral therapist to help with your eating disorder. Revision surgery isn't always the answer what about when the sleeve fails you what's next bypass?

I had lap band placed in 2006 did well and lost 80 pounds. I was very diligent with eating rules and exercising and was able to maintain wt. loss until 2009 then discovered my band had eroded. I did not have any symptoms but it was discovered during upper endoscopy for GERD and my surgeon removed my band at that point. I became depressed slipped back into old habits and regained my weight. On 3/26 I had sleeve surgery and I am worried about little perceived restriction. So glad I have all of you to listen to and realize that this is common experience. Just going to follow the rules and hope for the best.

I had my revision surgery in Feb 11th 2013 it also went well, healed rapidly, no nausea, no pain, no issues. I also had no restrictions in fact I could drink a 14 oz Protein shake for the get go. A year I still weigh the same - I suspect my physician left the pouch too big. After the lap band was taken out, the stomach according to the dr was mis shapen and he "eye balled" how much stomach to remove - he doesn't use a bugie. At my 8 month follow up appt back in Oct he said people with revision surgery lose at a slow rate. He suspected it was my diet but I told even if I wasn't following the diet to the "t" I should have lost something. Needless to say the only thing the surgery did for me was create bowel issues. I now sprint to the bathroom when I feel a bowel movement coming. My stomach bloats and makes very loud noises and expel very smelly gas all the time. I have sharp chest pains from acid reflux - it feels like a heart attack. Never had these issues before the surgery so now I just have to live with a very bad decision on my part.

why dont you take something for acidity....try increasing your exercise and water...we do loose at a slower rate....but you must not give up.