Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one week post op depression

I am one week post op. I had a two week liquid diet before surgery and I have a three week liquid diet after. Right now I am feeling kind of depressed. I'm not sure this was worth it. I'm still in a lot of pain and have had to go to the hospital twice for fluids because I was dehydrated. But mainly it's the liquid diet that is killing me. Especially when I read how do many others could have soft food after one week. I would kill for soft food right now. This diet has me questioning my success and even my commitment right now. I don't know maybe I'm just venting. I just feel kind of sad right now, and it's not because I'm not losing weight because I am.

Two weeks is nothing in the scheme of things really. Think about it.. We go throughout 2 weeks of hell to have years of looking awesome and feeling fantastic. Try to keep your eye on the prize!

Hang in there..!

I haven't had my sleeve done yet, so I can't speak from experience. But even if it was something that you were really wanting to do, you've still just been through a major operation and it sounds like you're having a tough initial recovery, plus you're on a really restrictive diet so you're not getting the best nutrition right now. It's probably not uncommon to feel depressed sometimes with all that going on. I hope that as your body heals and you feel physically better, your mood starts to lift, too.

I am one week post op. I had a two week liquid diet before surgery and I have a three week liquid diet after. Right now I am feeling kind of depressed. I'm not sure this was worth it. I'm still in a lot of pain and have had to go to the hospital twice for fluids because I was dehydrated. But mainly it's the liquid diet that is killing me. Especially when I read how do many others could have soft food after one week. I would kill for soft food right now. This diet has me questioning my success and even my commitment right now. I don't know maybe I'm just venting. I just feel kind of sad right now, and it's not because I'm not losing weight because I am.

Each day will be better than the day before. We all have ups and downs. Right now I am up and dreaming of more Florida sunshine and a bathing suit. You are in cold dreary weather, but summer will be here. If you need to talk to someone, make that call, and if you are depressed and ignoring your intake for liquids, by all means talk to your doctor or someone and take care of yourself please. Hugs, Linda

Change your perspective. I'm one week post op today. You should be creative with your liquids. For example, I was craving nachos. I took some nacho cheese added a lil milk to thin it out. Got two tortilla chips and grated in my blender to a cheap of wheat/oatmeal/grits consistency and added it (It was deelish!

Also, took some Wendy's chilli, blended it till all chucks of Tomato and meat were blended. Same thing with Applebee's artichoke dip I added milk and ate like Soup. Campbell's has a cheeseburger chunk Soup, I'm saving it as a head hunger emergency..lol.

Whatever you eat, just blend with milk, broth, Water, etc. good luck....

I am two months out and had a similar experience as you. Your body is changing and feeling depressed can happen. I talked to my psychologist and upped some of my anti depression meds. Also, drinking all of your Protein and Water is extremely important. During this time your mind can play tricks on you and make you doubt your choice. Soon enough your body will start to heal. My Dr. told me it takes 5 to 6 months for the stomach to completely heal. Keep your spirits up and try not to dwell on your surgery or what you are going through. Find some distractions that will help occupy you mind during this time. It will pass and you will feel better soon. Keep the faith. I know it's hard to do but I know you can do it.

I'm having my sleeve on Tuesday the 25 I'm scared too . Just trying to think positive and be much healthier for the rest of my life. My starting weight was 275 and I am on day 10 of liver shrinking diet and I'm 237.8 I want to be 135. I am 5 6 ... Hang in there you will get to where u want to be ....

Lisa

I want to echo what others have said above - please be kind to yourself and don't underestimate how much trauma your body has been through in one week. I am also seven days post-op (I had surgery on the 14th) and the difficulty of staying hydrated and lack of variety have definitely gotten to me a couple of times.

Especially since you've had to be readmitted to the hospital twice, I would strongly recommend leaning on your surgeon's support team for help (you should be able to get emergency appointments with nutrition, psych and the surgeon himself - why not ask for both a pain consult and a session to figure out why you're having such a hard time with fluids?). I don't mean this in a bragging way at all, but I haven't had anything stronger than a Tylenol since post-op day 4 and have been off pain meds entirely for over 48 hours... your pain could be entirely normal, but it could also be a sign that you need some follow up medical attention. Make sure it's not the latter, even if they make you feel like you're wasting their time or being a hypochondriac.

If there isn't anything medically wrong, please have faith that you will feel very differently about the surgery in a week or a month when you're X lbs lighter and feeling healthy again. Our minds can't be trusted this soon after invasive surgery (not to mention tons of huge changes to what and how we eat), so try to think of your brain as a trickster and resist its attempts to get one over on you when you're vulnerable.

I'm wishing you a positive and hopeful recovery from Ohio!

I'm in your boat right now. I'm 1 week and 3 days post-op and I've got the blues. I don't regret surgery, but I miss food. Sad to say but it made me happy. Even if falsely and temporarily.

We'll get there though! You're not alone in this.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks sleeve and I have the blues too. Weight is coming off, but I MISS food. You never look at food again. It's extremely hard when you still have to cook for your family or even when you go out. I know I will get out this funk but never could imaging this. We will survive! Lol

Thanks for your help everyone. I think a lot of it comes from the fact I was only able to drink Water for the first week. I think my brain was in starvation mode. Now I am trying to introduce some Protein and am having a real hard time stomaching them it was one thing before surgery when I could gulp down the nasty shakes, but now I can't do that and I can't stand the taste. My doctor doesn't want me to just blend regular food, he only wants me to have liquid for three weeks post op.

What about Soups? I was allowed cream soups drained on my liquid diet. I'm supposed to be in my puréed stage and can't stomach anything so it's still liquids for me. It is frustrating but all the different soups help

Try and keep your head up, I know it gets frustrating at times but it will all be worth it. I admit I had an easy time with my surgery by all accounts but it gets a little better each day. I pretty much survived off Protein Shakes and crushed ice for the first week, the ice really helped settle my stomach down so I even put it in my Protein shakes too. Be creative with the shakes I used crystal lite mixes in mine to change the flavors up a little too. vanilla and chocolate and strawberry where driving me batty quick. I use peppermint extract in mine too, that always helps settle my stomach when it's upset. My point of being worth it was my first follow up visit 8 days after when I was 15lbs lighter. I am almost a month out now and no more pain and my diet is back to normal with the exception of I eat way less now. Not sure on my weight as of yet but should be close to 30lbs less. Good luck with every thing.