Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and haven't been sleeved yet. Let me first apologize for the long post that is below, i tend to want to ask all my questions up front.

I've been considering WLS for the last 2 years, with the sleeve the past year and surgery in Mexico the last 2 months. My insurance won't cover me so Mexico seems to be my only route. I've just started my research and I get lost so quick. Mostly with what doctor to choose. There are so many of you that have seen different doctors and each doctor gets good and bad reviews, yes i know not everyone will be happy but try finding a doctor with a 95% positive review (high expectations I know) is hard work!!

Can some of you please share your expierence from what were the deciding factors for choosing the dr you chose, to booking the procedure, to arriving in mexico and meeting the dr and staff face to face etc. Would you do anything differently? Were there things you brought you didn't need and vice versa, are there things you wish you brought?

Looking at some of the topics on here, it makes me feel like going to Mexico you're going on an assembly line of docs operations on patients one after the other. Were the facilities clean....I'm use to US hospitals so are the comparable? Did you feel safe traveling to Mexico? What do you do if you live in Los Angeles and you can just drive to Mexco yourself, can you do that?

If you financed, was it easy? Are there interest rates and if so, are they outrageous?

Lastly, are any of you in the south bay area that are in support groups or having surgery in around August time? I'd like to know that there are people from this site going down there around the same time.

I haven't been sleeved yet either. Mine is in May. I've had some of the questions you have. I know I found a lady on here . her name Is Hoosier Girl(there's about 3 so she's the blonde one) she has a lot of info on her page. I learned a lot.plus she's an inspiration. Reading all her blogs helped me make up my mind.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Raychel and I am getting sleeved in Mexico ( Tijuana) mid April. My co- worker had it done there 7 months and couldn't be happier. She said the facility was clean, everyone was very comforting and sweet. They offer to pick you up at the SD airport and take you to the Marriott where you stay the first and last night. She also mentioned that going with them was better than driving because the can cross back faster using a special medical line. I feel grateful that I have someone to walk me through everything ( my co-worker) So I'm happy to share all the knowledge I have. :) I'm super excited and can't wait to start my journey!

-r

<p>Hi everyone!</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm new to the forum and haven't been sleeved yet. Let me first apologize for the long post that is below, i tend to want to ask all my questions up front.</p> <p> </p> <p>I've been considering WLS for the last 2 years, with the sleeve the past year and surgery in Mexico the last 2 months. My insurance won't cover me so Mexico seems to be my only route. I've just started my research and I get lost so quick. Mostly with what doctor to choose. There are so many of you that have seen different doctors and each doctor gets good and bad reviews, yes i know not everyone will be happy but try finding a doctor with a 95% positive review (high expectations I know) is hard work!!</p> <p> </p> <p>Can some of you please share your expierence from what were the deciding factors for choosing the dr you chose, to booking the procedure, to arriving in mexico and meeting the dr and staff face to face etc. Would you do anything differently? Were there things you brought you didn't need and vice versa, are there things you wish you brought?</p> <p> </p> <p>Looking at some of the topics on here, it makes me feel like going to Mexico you're going on an assembly line of docs operations on patients one after the other. Were the facilities clean....I'm use to US hospitals so are the comparable? Did you feel safe traveling to Mexico? What do you do if you live in Los Angeles and you can just drive to Mexco yourself, can you do that?</p> <p> </p> <p>If you financed, was it easy? Are there interest rates and if so, are they outrageous?</p> <p> </p> <p>Lastly, are any of you in the south bay area that are in support groups or having surgery in around August time? I'd like to know that there are people from this site going down there around the same time.</p>

In ORs in the US they are basically assembly lines as well! Believe me I work in a hospital. I have surgery planned with dr Elias Ortiz in early May. His coordinator says he does 4 surgeries a day which seems like a very reasonable amount. I love that the whole process is much easier and cheaper in Mexico with very experienced surgeons.

I have not been sleeved yet but on Monday, I wont be able to say that anymore!

To answer your question, I finally narrowed my surgeon to Dr. Illan / Baja Bariatrics because he is also chief of ER trauma in another hospital. I felt safe knowing that if something happened during surgery he would be able to handle it. Also his patients have an amazing support group on FB, and I was able to see pictures, read about experiences etc. I feel safe going to Tijuana because the Coordinator Omar is with you much of the time not leaving you to your own to explore an unfamiliar place when you want get out of the hotel. He actually takes you out and makes you walk after surgery, taking you to eat Soup, go shopping etc..

I will have more info next week but I will be having surgery Monday 3/24 and will be happy to report back afterwards.

So Tiff, today is the day! Let us know how you are doing, best wishes for awesome surgery as well as a speedy recovery and great results.

Im at florence Oasis of Hope hospital now. My surgery was this morning and I was very groggy. I tried walking twice but ended up sleeping for another few hours before finally being able to. Since then, I have been walking regularly but nothing is helping the gas trapped in my left chest area and around to my back shoulder blade. Am I in pain? No. Im just in discomfort with that air pocket. I dont feel pain in my incisions though, yay! Im looking forward to tomorrow. Will update then.

So happy you are doing so well. Gives me comfort and makes me not so scared as I've read some bad recovery posts. Keep us updated soon.

Good to hear from you Tiff. Yes, the gas pain was the worse part for me. Everyone has to go at their own speed. What worked for me was making myself walk at least for a few minutes after every nap. It was rough but it helped a lot. Believe me, after every walk I was ready to nap again for the first couple if days. I'm three weeks out today and I sometimes have to remind myself about what I've done and where I've been....well except for when I'm full after only a few bites. Feel better soon!

Speedy recovery indeed Tiff! When you are able, get some Gas Ex thin strips. They are suppose to really help & they are fast dissolving. Feel better, your in the home stretch now! You got this! :)

I'm getting mine April 14th. I'm excited & nervous( much more excited )

-raychel

Congratulations on pursuing surgery! Like you, it took me a couple years to get denied for surgery in the US. I completed my local bariatric program and learned a lot, so I felt like I was "educated" about what to expect during recovery and weight loss phases. The whole Mexico thing seemed completely overwhelming...just all the unknowns. So, my advice to you is do a BUNCH of research and be totally sold on your doctor. Ask tons of questions, talk to former patients and be prepared to walk away if you feel uncomfortable!

I had my sleeve 2/4/13. I exceeded my weight loss goal and have been successfully maintaining for the past 2.5 months. If you are committed to doing what you are told, you will lose the weight and keep it off.

What I can tell you about my experience with surgery in Mexico is that the facility was VERY clean. It was as good or better than hospitals in the US. I flew into San Diego and used the shuttle service and was pleased with it. The staff was great and while not perfect English speakers, you could communicated. I had the option to Skype with my doctor before surgery (but didn't choose to do it). After surgery, I just emailed questions and got fast answers. Had several follow up appointments while in Mexico. I wouldn't hesitate to send my closest family member there. It was that good. In fact, I hope to go back to Mexico for some plastic surgery later this year.

Here were my requirements for selecting a surgeon in Mexico....these were the things that were important to me:

1. A surgeon who has performed a lot of weight loss surgery.

2. Member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery (i.e. need to be able to verify their credentials)

3. The doc should have a lot of positive internet “buzz”, or testimonials on weight loss surgery forums so I could contact those and get some independent feedback.

4. Would like to go to a part of Mexico WITH NO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS from the U.S. State Department

5. The icing on the cake would be if they were at an International Center of Excellence as designated by the Surgical Review Corporation – same body that designates US bariatric Centers of Excellence

6. Oh, and I wanted to contact the surgeon DIRECTLY, not through a surgery coordinating company

So that was my list to select a surgeon....your list will probably be different, but I was very pleased. I have more info on my blog if you would like to check it out. Either way, good luck as you shop for a surgeon. Feel free to ask questions! Hugs - Shelley www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

Im at florence Oasis of Hope hospital now. My surgery was this morning and I was very groggy. I tried walking twice but ended up sleeping for another few hours before finally being able to. Since then, I have been walking regularly but nothing is helping the gas trapped in my left chest area and around to my back shoulder blade. Am I in pain? No. Im just in discomfort with that air pocket. I dont feel pain in my incisions though, yay! Im looking forward to tomorrow. Will update then.

. Hey Tiff, I'm thinking of going to the Oasis of Hope too in Tijuana, is that the peach colored building close to the beach in Tijuana? I've been near there I think. Also, is it or a hospital or clinic? Thanks!