Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I'm brand new. My doc does not require pre-op dieting. I plan to ask at the next visit, but wonder if anyone knows why?

Thank you!

Most docs do require some kind of pre-op diet, ranging from 1-14 days, but some do not. According to my surgeon, the pre-op diet is an additional safety measure they put in place a few years ago. It never used to be commonplace.

I had no pre-op diet, some surgeons believe the pre-op diet shrinks the liver, other doctors state there is no substantial proof of that. Each surgeon is different has their own preferences.

Ok, so he's not a quack, lol. Just checking! Thx

My doc gave me a pre-op diet. I was told that it was to get you prepared for a whole new way of eating - smaller portions, Protein first, chewing thoroughly, etc. Hopefully your doc will give you some guidelines for post-op eating, even if there is no pre-op diet. I haven't had surgery yet, but I would think that the sooner you put the new behaviors into practice, the better!

not require pre-op dieting

Fuff

"the one thing we all have in common is that we're all different!!" ;)

my doc didn't require a pre-op diet

wish he had because, like some others, i figured i would go on a "binge" cuz i was never gonna be able to eat again :o

the truth is - we all will/have eaten mostly everything we could before

just very small quantities

don't tell anyone but i GAINED 10 lbs!!!!

all the more i had to lose post op!!!!

do as i say, not as i do!!! ;)

take care

good luck with surgery :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I had no pre-op diet. I did have to get to a certain weight before surgery though.

My doc had it for everyone who had BMI over 40. Those of us 35-39 had to maintain weight and pre-op diet was optional. He said being healthy was his top concern. I did the diet anyway. I looked at the medical literature and there is conflicting evidence about its necessity (especially for lower BMI).

Edited by Schmincke

Thank you all. Glad to see others experiences. I always heard about the liquid diet so when he said no, i was confused. Best wishes to you all!

I think every surgeon is different. I had to follow a strict 10 day pre-op diet. I didn't cheat even one time! Lost 22 lbs doing it and STILL had a "fatty liver". ????

I keep reading that most people are on liquid diets. My doctors only require us to eat better at a 1200 calorie a day diet. So we can get used to eating Protein first, chewing, lose weight, and weighing out our food/counting calories. I guess every doctor is different!

I keep reading that most people are on liquid diets. My doctors only require us to eat better at a 1200 calorie a day diet. So we can get used to eating Protein first, chewing, lose weight, and weighing out our food/counting calories. I guess every doctor is different!

You are very lucky! I begin my 2 week all liquid diet this Monday! Yup, that's 14 long days of no chewing! Of NO FOOD!! LOL! I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I am going to do it!

My surgeon did not require a pre-op liquid diet. My surgeon actually did Lisa Lampanelli's weight loss surgery as well as a few NJ housewives. Due to that, I felt confident in his abilities and his decision to not do a liquid diet before surgery. However, now that I'm almost two weeks post-op, I have to say I kind of wish I had done one. He didn't tell me that I had to maintain my weight, or eat healthy or make any diet changes before surgery. Due to that as well as a mix of stress and fear over the surgery, I went on a last meal binge like a month before surgery, and I actually gained 20 lbs. I kind of told myself, if I'm going to spend the next year doing strict dieting and watching, the way I've struggled and spent my entire life, then I should utilize this period to enjoy some liberal eating. I never eat the way I ate before surgery and the evidence was there in my weight. I also wish I had done a pre-op diet because it was such a shock to go from eating, to sipping and drinking all of my meals.

So yea, long story short, my surgeon didn't require it, but in hindsight I think I might have benefited.

Ah that's a good point. Especially because I'm already having my last meals....and surgery isn't until may! What doc did you use in NJ? I'm using Dr Bell.