Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone my surgery is scheduled for March 20th and my nerves are shot!! All the veterans do you have any regrets? Is there something you wish you would have known previously? Any thoughts would be super helpful I am so nervous !!!

That I would not have been forced to go to the surgeon I had, and that that surgeon wouldn't have had the personality he does and have been more up to date on research and complications.

Edited by swimbikerun

Missdeleon, I have no regrets. I'll be honest with you, those first two weeks were difficult for me but I knew it would get easier and it did. I have my 6 week check up on Thursday and I'm doing great. I eat what ever I want but... just a tiny bit. I only drink flavored water. I used kool aid drops and its the only way I can get my Water down. Since surgery I can't stand the taste of plain water. weird, huh? I love having the sleeve because by myself I had no discipline or self will. My sleeve is small but it's definitely in charge. My only regret would be that I didn't have the surgery sooner. I'm 58 and wish I'd had it years ago. Better late than never I suppose.

Thank you so Much 1 day!!! I am 34 and so tired of the yo yo dieting and and probably the worst of all is working out hard eating right and still not be able to lose weight that you want it's the most frustrating thing in the world . I'm getting married in a year and a half and would like to have a baby and I know I just could not have a healthy future with the body that I have now thank you

I wished that I had done this long ago too..... The only regret I have is that i didn't lose more weight on my own before getting it done..... I could always lose weight rapidly at first on a diet but usually came to a stall and was disappointed by starving myself and still not losing..... Now I feel in control of my eating for once in my life.... it's a great feeling. The surgery is rough at first but it gets better every day. Don't go into it thinking it will be easy because it isn't at all.... no way. I told myself before surgery not to think about it too much.... just do it. If I had thought of every little thing that could go wrong or the possible outcomes or suffering I'd never had done it..... Don't think about it..... just do it. You'll be glad that you did. I am almost three week out of my surgery and it's getting better every day...... I can tell that I'm losing already but I won't get back on the scale until my Dr. visit in nine days.... I refuse to be a slave to a scale. I feel so much lighter already and walkiing seems so much easier than before..... I can only imagine how much better I'll feel later on. Make sure you have a good Dr. that specializes in this surgery and has a great success rate.... I can proudly say that my Dr. is fantastic. I had this done laparascopically and I only have five little tiny spots on my abdoment that are very pink now and hardly noticable that i ever had surgery...... I am complying with what he said about the diet afterwards..... that is crucial to your success. Follow all the directions exactly and you will have success..... It's so much easier now to stay on a diet plan because the hunger is not an issue anymore..... Good Luck.......

I'm scheduled for Wednesday and am very nervous too. Nice to hear from others who are recovering well.

The one and only regret is that this was not available when I was younger....but it added YEARS and much happiness to my life....sleeved at 58, I am now 60 and feel 40.

Queen of Crop

This is me personally...I was sleeved this January, and honestly, I wish I would have done this 2 years ago when a doctor first mentioned bariatric surgery. I was stubborn and thought I could lose the weight on my own. Obviously I couldn't keep it off or I would have never ever been in the shape I was in when I finally decided to go for it! Above someone mentioned the first 2 weeks being the hardest and I totally agree with them. Once I was off liquids, I was overjoyed to get pureed foods and I did quite well! I'm in stage 3 and I feel better than i have for years! I am pulling things out of my closet I haven't worn for 4 years and I am walking soooo much better.(bad knees & back). Oh, I am also off my blood pressure meds!! I have NO regrets. Social events eating out is tricky, but so worth the extra effort to follow our new way of life!! :D

I have absolutely no regrets. I had my surgery in Dec 2012, I have lost a lot of weight and I feel great! It is the best feeling ever to just look like a normal person. The first couple weeks were hard, but as long as you follow your doctors instructions and stay focused you will do great...

One piece of advice I do have... try not to focus too much on other peoples success or failure... Everyone is different what works for me may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me! Remember that and you will do great!

Best thing I ever did!! Sleeved in October 2012 at 277 pounds (123kg), biggest weight 288 pounds (130.7kg) and currently 165 pounds (75kgs) so I'm very very happy with the results!!

Things you should know...

- the first week is the hardest post surgery...only time I thought I regretted it...had a bad reaction and a lot of retching and vomiting

- I managed to travel around the country running training sessions for work about 6 weeks post surgery without issue - back to normal but for food lol

- you will get tired, I found that especially the first three months I had zero energy and stuck to walking and light exercise, worked for me :-)

- after about 9-12 months you will be able to eat a lot more but don't do it!! Use the first 9 months to the full extent, I found after 9 my hunger started returning and desire for naughty food and more of it lol, use that first 9-12 months and then remember that you only think your hungry and don't start increasing the amount of food you eat!!

- you will buy a lot of new clothes...constantly!! I've been through three lots of making things lasts till they hang off me and then donating them or selling. Keep this in mind when purchasing clothes...I really shouldn't have spent $200 on a dress that I only wore once!!

Edited by Bella86

Thanks for asking a great question, I will move it to a place where Vets and others can answer your question. The Vets forum is for those 12 months or more out from surgery. You are welcome to post there when you are that far out....sooner than you think!