Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the Requirements to Have WLS in Mexico

I am wondering about Passports, payments, health evaluations pre op, Who do you see after your back in the States? And how do you even go about setting up an appointment or even get accepted for the surgery? Im very curious.

sorry for some reason this posted 3 times...think my cat walked across the computer while I was out of room

First do your research and find a good surgeon. Call email and get all the info you can get from them. They will be helpful depending on who you choose. You will fly to SAN and they will pick you up take you to the hospital for preop testing then to the hotel and get first thing next morning for surgery. Usual stay is 3 days. Then they discharge you drive you back to SAN and off you go.

Oh you must have a passport to return back into the US.

Oh one more thing. Where ever you decide to go they will take you whether it TJ or Mexicali or anywhere in between. Of course if you go to Panama or Cancun you wouldn't fly into San Diego.

I just had my surgery a little over a week ago and I didn't need a passport to return, just had my us drivers license.

I am wondering about Passports, payments, health evaluations pre op, Who do you see after your back in the States? And how do you even go about setting up an appointment or even get accepted for the surgery? Im very curious.

I just had surgery in Mexico on February 17. Everything went well and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am very happy with the doctor and facility that I chose and I highly recommend them. I did a lot of research on here and on websites to read about different doctors and it came down to three doctors that I liked. I did a little more research and narrative down to one doctor that I wanted to go to. All the preop testing was done there before surgery and when I got back to United States I am doing follow up at my local hospital. Most people don't even do that follow up at the local hospital and just continue following up and emailing questions to the doctor in Mexico. I preferred to be able to see nutritionist here and talk to someone in person for support which is why am doing follow up at my local hospital.

Had my surgery in TJ. Entered and exited thru San Diego. My driver had a passport, but I did not.

I had surgery on 2/20 with Dr. Quinones at Santa Fe Medical Clinic. I was referred by a friend and arrangements were made with a coordinator Bill Ynez. There was a brief questionnaire that I filled out, and then I was given a date, that was it. $4500 plus @$150 for meds. The only aftercare is from Bill and his wife, who answer questions.

Basically you just fill out a health questioner and they accept you based on that. All the pre-op testing is done either the evening before or the morning of surgery. F/u is with your pcp at home. I'm planning on May

My procedure was done in Cancun by Dr verboonen. I had my passport as I live in Saudi Arabia but I am not really sure if it were required. I did most of my pre-op lab work before leaving KSA but had a few things done when I got there. As a self pay, I made my payment via bank transfer. Took maybe three days. As mentioned in a previous post, I researched my surgeon as well as the facility for the surgery. I work as a health care professional so I was very picky. I did not want to go to a free standing clinic but preferred a hospital setting instead. This was just my personal preference. I chose Dr V because other staff had travelled from Saudi Arabia to have surgery done by this surgeon. Also he has had the surgery himself and fully understand the associated struggles.

I am three years post op and still could not be more pleased with my decision for the surgery and the surgeon that I chose. Even though I am far away, we are still in contact and he still checks on my progress. That is beyond caring to me!

I researched different doctors in Mexico and then contacted my top choice. I had to fill out an informational/medical history. I was accepted for surgery and scheduled my surgery day. With my surgery date set, I received my pre op diet and booked my plane tickets. Pre op testing will be done day before surgery.

I did a lot of research and called/emailed different doctors with my list of questions. I checked credentials and read testimonials. I combed through various forums looking for other patients and their experiences. I watched hours of YouTube videos of people who were sleeved in Mexico to get an idea of the hospital/doctor/staff/rooms/aftercare.

I decided to go with Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali for various reasons: credentials, patient success and satisfaction, hospital/facilities, leak tests performed during and after surgery, willingness to accommodate my requests, experience, and acceptance of credit card payment (I can't pay cash for the whole procedure and didn't want to wait until I could).

The process: I called and spoke with a patient coordinator who answered my questions, took my email info and sent me 2 emails with information and a link to click on an online form to fill out= Pre-Operative Assessment (important health questions/medications you are on) and the Pre-Surgery Questionnaire (more health questions and important info for them). You can fill out the forms online or download these, fill them out and return them to the coordinator through email or fax. Here is a link to download the forms: http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/apply_surgery.html

I have been emailing the coordinator with questions and she has responded promptly. I like having her responses in writing over email vs. the phone (where I forget details). They have penciled in my request for a sleeve on May 26th (pre-op May 25th) while Dr. Aceves evaluates my medical forms.

They will contact me to confirm surgery. At that point, I will mail in a $500.00 deposit (can be a personal check) to his PO Box. They will send me a receipt for this and an updated bill reflecting my new balance of $8,250 due when I arrive to the hospital for pre-op tests.

I have a patient information guide with detailed instructions to follow before surgery/what to bring/etc. http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/apply_surgery.html

The more you explore and research, the better prepared you will be to make the right decision for you. I have a few anxieties but they are tied into the fact that the surgery is permanent and I am worried about acid reflux which is common for sleeved people. However, I think it's worth it so I will work through those issues in the next 2 months.

Here's his website if you want to peruse; it has good sleeve info.: http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/

Total cost: $8,750.00 (does not include flight to San Diego or additional take-home meds)

I'll stay on here and continue to update as I progress to surgery and after-care.

All the best to you in your decision :)

Oh, as far as passport: I was advised to bring one to cross back into the US-you don't need one to cross into Mexico.

If you have applied and don't have one, you can bring your driver's license and your application for a passport (details in the patient guide form I linked in my previous post).

Payment is tricky-I don't want to finance (usually medical cards have ridiculously high interest rates) except just use my credit card. I saved half the cost, so I will finance the balance. For Dr. Aceves, there is a 3.3% interest charge to use a credit/debit card. However, he also accepts traveler's checks, cashier's checks, wire transfers, and medical financing (through a company, not through them).

I was considering Dr. Alvarez (Texas border) but he only accepts medical financing or cash. I did not have $8,500.00 cash nor did I want to go through medical financing when my credit card has a low interest rate.

I hope this helps!