Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor wants to make a poster of my 5 month "transformation" as he calls it!

At my 6 month post -op visit (I went 2 weeks early) my surgeon wants to make a poster of my 5 month pictures.. He called it a "total transformation". I find this ironic since I have never willingly showed pictures of myself in the past. I only made my before and after for this forum. I definitely have some body conscious issues and I am trying to work on them.

I work for the same company that is associated with the hospital where I had my surgery, so it is pretty awkward for me. I'm a nurse at a sister medical center so many coworkers would see this. I have not kept my VGS a secret, but I hadn't broadcast it, either . While I am flattered, I kind of feel like it's flying my bloomers up a flag pole! What do you think?

post-179195-0-78530000-1394981670_thumb.jpg

post-179195-0-00678000-1394981713_thumb.jpg

Edited by JanetPRN

I can see why he wants to make a poster of your transformation you look fantastic and have done so well, you are an inspiration to us all. I was only sleeved 2 weeks ago so seeing the difference in you is amazing.
BUT I also understand the body image issues, I hate getting my picture taken and I seriously doubt I will ever have my picture taken until my driving license needs renewing.

Understand your concerns but you would inspire so many others.

Do it when you are ready! At least he planted a seed in you n you will consider it. Maybe next month or maybe next year , just do it because you WANT TO.

Speaking as someone who knows about copyright you also need to think about some sort of copyright or “use of content/pictures” contract because if you allow your place to use them and there is no copyright or resell or redistribution restriction you could find yourself all over the place and used in advertisements like the banners on this forum etc
It is very flattering and could help a lot of people especially if your walking around the building to speak to people who might be going through the process just know your standing before you agree to allow them to be used.

I was asked to sign a limited release form, which I did . He gave me his email address for if and when I decide to send him the photos. I haven't even reached my goal yet . This is so weird to me!

I'm very new to these boards, but your progress is one of the reasons I had the courage to start the process to get sleeved. So, just know that your transformation is very inspirational and has given me a LOT of hope!

Your progress is incredible! I can see why he's asked to use you as a patient testimonial on a poster @@JanetPRN

It's in the surgeon's best interests to promote how well he's done... or should I say how well YOU have done.

However, I agree with @@sassypants . It is in YOUR best interests to have some control over how your images are used. If you are happy to be on every billboard in town and in websites and TV slots that is fantastic! I'm not saying don't do that if that's what you want to do. But, it is worth protecting your interests and only releasing your photos with a clear agreement of HOW and WHERE they are going to be used. If it's posters, where will they be displayed? When you release then us it clear that posters in a defined location are the only use and are there clear limitations on additional uses? If this matters to you it would be with taking legal advice as I can't advise you what to do or how best to protect your interest whatever route you take.

A totally open-ended agreement would make me very nervous, but maybe that's just me :)

At my 6 month post -op visit (I went 2 weeks early) my surgeon wants to make a poster of my 5 month pictures..

Take away all the legal ramifications - there is one overarching personal issue to determine.

Do you want your surgery to almost define you in the eyes of others?

Irrespective of how far and wide your images are distributed, if people recognise you from them, that will be what they associate you with - your surgery.

All the questions, enquiries, reactions (good and bad), recommendation requests, etc. If you're happy to be an advocate and a walking advertisement for the procedure and the surgical system who supported you through this - and wouldn't mind the attention and better still, you get paid - go ahead.

However, the reality of it is (and this would get to me), would be the fear that I would be defined by it for an unknown length of time.

I am Revs. I am more than my surgery. I would not want my other attributes eclipsed by a personal and private decision I took to improve my health. Particularly not for the financial gain, irrespective of how grateful I am for their services, of the medical establishment I paid a considerable amount of money to perform said service.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.