Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I just got banded 2 days ago. I am sore but excited. Anyone else in the same boat that I can share my experience with? Anyone have tips for the first few weeks post-op? Thanks

My only offering is to not weigh yourself and expect a lot of weight loss till your body rids itself of all the fluids pumped into your body during surgery. Be patient, follow Drs orders and let the healing begin!!

I agree with @@2muchfun …. although every doctor and protocol is very different (please follow yours)…mine told me the first 6 weeks was all about healing and learning/practicing mechanics and getting through the phases and back to solids….AND NOT TO EXPECT ANY WEIGHT LOSS….if you have a weight loss it would be a bonus.

That helped me stay off the scale, follow MY docs orders and HEAL…..

Good luck to you…keep us posted!

Thank you both for your tips. I have stayed off the scale and am focusing on getting through these "food" stages. I'm looking forward to another two weeks from now when I can have something more than liquids! I appreciate your replies. I tried posting on another site about the band and everyone was so negative trying to steer me away from the band. I am happy to be a bander and I hope it all works out :) Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

Thank you both for your tips. I have stayed off the scale and am focusing on getting through these "food" stages. I'm looking forward to another two weeks from now when I can have something more than liquids! I appreciate your replies. I tried posting on another site about the band and everyone was so negative trying to steer me away from the band. I am happy to be a bander and I hope it all works out :) Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

I just got banded yesterday if you want to be band buddies. I was supposed to get banded in November and that fell through but now I am officially banded. My name is Erin.

Hi Erin,

First of all, congrats! How are you feeling? Tomorrow I start stage 2 which I'm excited about---those Clear liquids get old after awhile. Anyhow, just make sure to keep getting up and walking around when you can---that gas that goes to the left shoulder is painful. I still have a little but it is almost entirely gone.

I am going to send you a private message so we can continue to chat through this process together.

Hi, I was banded on March 4th. I am now in stage 3, the mushy foods. I am doing good and I already started walking for exercise. The doctor told me I could start walking in week 2 and jogging in week 3, but I will stick with walking until next week. I still get bad gas and I do not know if that is going to change or it is just going to always be like this. Well let me know if you want to be buddies and support each other.

-Christina

I also was banded March 6th and now starting the puree stage. I seem to be and hope to continue he to lose about 3-5 lbs a week. I would be happy. I am obsessed with the scale and need to lock it up for 6 days.lol. I rode 5 miles on stationary bike a few days ago and dietitian the next day said that is good just don't over do it. Our body will tell us when to stop.

Good luck to you all...hopefully we can follow each other through this journey. My niece in Texas is a month ahead of me and we have goal of 30 lbs by May 15th. It's nice to have goals and someone that can help keep on track and motivated.

I have a big trip in October. ...for every time I work out I will put a star on my inspirational board and every star my hubby will give me $5 more to spend.

We are on the other side and this is all up to us....we now have a tool to help us.

WE can do this!!!

Well I am 8 weeks post op and have had my first fill, can say that there are a lot of us that are newbie's and those veterans on here that will be happy to help you with any questions you might have. Congrats on your decision and please know each day gets better, but the best advice I have seen on here is that you need to "Step away from your scales" for right now. As you have been told the first 6 weeks are to get you healed. You will do just fine!!! Take care and see you along the way on your journey (here)!!! Hope to talk with you soon if you have any needs!!!

Well I am 8 weeks post op and have had my first fill, can say that there are a lot of us that are newbie's and those veterans on here that will be happy to help you with any questions you might have. Congrats on your decision and please know each day gets better, but the best advice I have seen on here is that you need to "Step away from your scales" for right now. As you have been told the first 6 weeks are to get you healed. You will do just fine!!! Take care and see you along the way on your journey (here)!!! Hope to talk with you soon if you have any needs!!!

Hi there,

I have so many questions for you! I am currently on stage 2 of the post-op diet so I am still on liquids. Did you ever feel nauseas once you started eating food? How did it feel after your first fill? Does the gas and shoulder pain ever go away? When did you start exercising and how much?

Congrats on 8 weeks! I am looking forward to having real food soon!

LiveLifeNow, on 20 Mar 2014 - 18:00, said:
Mikee57, on 20 Mar 2014 - 10:38, said:

Hi there,

I have so many questions for you! I am currently on stage 2 of the post-op diet so I am still on liquids. Did you ever feel nauseas once you started eating food? How did it feel after your first fill? Does the gas and shoulder pain ever go away? When did you start exercising and how much?

Hi there LiveLifeNow...I have to be honest about exercise, since that is the bad thing I need to talk about, I have knee replacements that cause me some discomfort, so until I get alittle more of this weight off I am doing mostly walking. I work in a really big hospital so I walk alot back and forth. So sorry that I can't be of help there for you yet.

As for nausea...I had trouble with that for days after surgery...don't handle anesthesia well...but never had it once I ate, except when I ate too fast and didn't chew right, so please take my advice here and eat slowly and chew really well. I still don't feel different after my first fill, but they keep telling me that is different for everyone. 2 cc's just apparently isn't enough for me...so have to wait between my fills 6 weeks. I never had the pain or pressure into my shoulder...but have heard on here from others that it does subside soon, hang in there sweetie, they say getting up and walking helps...so try that okay? I was so ready for real food too, and I went from liquids to soft food (couldn't handle my food pureed-made me gag) LOL!!! so just ate things really soft, so I am going to wish you well with all the newness you are about to face. Please know I am on here if you need me okay? Best wishes and prayers!!!

Thank you Mikee. I am definitely not weighing myself on a daily basis which is good. I am just struggling with my cravings for flavor and crunch---yogurt, pudding, chicken broth only goes so far. On Wednesday, I get to start the pureed stage...Not planning on pureeing anything but scrambled eggs count in this stage so I'm excited.

Congrats on the first fill! My first fill is scheduled for April 9th.

LiveLifeNow, on 20 Mar 2014 - 18:00, said:
Mikee57, on 20 Mar 2014 - 10:38, said:

Hi there,

Hi there LiveLifeNow...I have to be honest about exercise, since that is the bad thing I need to talk about, I have knee replacements that cause me some discomfort, so until I get alittle more of this weight off I am doing mostly walking. I work in a really big hospital so I walk alot back and forth. So sorry that I can't be of help there for you yet.

As for nausea...I had trouble with that for days after surgery...don't handle anesthesia well...but never had it once I ate, except when I ate too fast and didn't chew right, so please take my advice here and eat slowly and chew really well. I still don't feel different after my first fill, but they keep telling me that is different for everyone. 2 cc's just apparently isn't enough for me...so have to wait between my fills 6 weeks. I never had the pain or pressure into my shoulder...but have heard on here from others that it does subside soon, hang in there sweetie, they say getting up and walking helps...so try that okay? I was so ready for real food too, and I went from liquids to soft food (couldn't handle my food pureed-made me gag) LOL!!! so just ate things really soft, so I am going to wish you well with all the newness you are about to face. Please know I am on here if you need me okay? Best wishes and prayers!!!

Thanks for the note. I am looking forward to eating real food soon :) Did your doctor say how long you have to stay on liquids after the fill?

Hi all,

I just got banded 2 days ago. I am sore but excited. Anyone else in the same boat that I can share my experience with? Anyone have tips for the first few weeks post-op? Thanks

I got banded on March 19th an I just moved in to the pudding stage it is really good lol..I have been getting on the scale which I know I shouldn't but I'm just excited..I would like to find people who are close to my same time or anyone really to kinda help through this thanks