Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Supplements

I am having surgery April 2. I am currently test tasting Protein drinks and having a really really hard time with the taste! I have always been a VERY picky eater too!!

What is everyone's favorites? What is the serving size, calories, & grams of Protein in each serving? Why is it your favorite and is there an after taste?

Your taste will change after surgery so I wouldn't buy a whole lot of anything. I use Body Fortress powder when I need it. I also like EAS but what you like now you may not like after surgery.

I went with the Bariatric Advantage. You can order them online…there nutritional info you can get from the site I don't remember it off hand.

I could not stand the pre made shakes…muscle milk light, EAS, pure protein…they all had a horrible taste and aftertaste in my opinion.

These shakes where thick but i liked that you could buy them already in a bottle…all you had to do was add Water and shake. And I liked the taste…especially they had one that tasted like an orange popsicle…they chocolate tasted like chocolate….they were sweet though. But lots of the shakes were….

Hope that helps you in some way!

I like the EAS and the Premier Protein. 11 oz Premier Protein has 160 cal, 30g prot and I think 4gm carbs with 1 gm sugar. I believe that is right, but I don't have any here to look at. Its richer than the EAS, and I like both, but for flavor, I really like the premier best.

Absoluately love the Atkins Cafe Caramel RTD shakes for Breakfast. Reminds me of a trip to Starbucks. Interestingly, I didn't like the Cafe Caramel flavor before surgery - I only liked the Mocha Latte shakes. Now I hate them, and everything that has the least chocolate-y flavor makes me queasy.

I ordered a sampler pack of Syntrax nectar pre-surgery. I really like the fruit flavored drinks better than the chocolate/vanillas or any combination thereof. I have consistently enjoyed the Grapefruit, Fuzzy Naval & Lemon Tea flavors of Syntrax, and still drink at least one per day.< /p>

My third shake of the day I use the powdered vanilla from Optimum Nutrition: 100% gold in the vanilla ice cream flavor, BUT I add a rounded teaspoon of instant coffee (decaf of course) plus a teaspoon of half & half, and some sugar free butterscoth pudding mix - maybe a couple tablespoons. I heat it up in the microwave and enjoy another Starbucks-like experience in the evening.

One caveat - found immediately after surgery that coffee really turned me off. Before I started eating "real" foods, I made beef broth in the evenings with Better than Bouillon, and added some unflavored Protein powder to it. The Protein made it taste just a little bit like beef stroganoff, plus I found I really craved salty stuff before I could start eating real food again.

Best advice I've seen: just don't invest too much before surgery. Even during the first few month after, your tastes will continue to change. I remember trying a "Crystal Sky" version of Syntrax Nectar post-op, thinking it was great, and buying a whole tub. Now I can't stand it. So wierd.

My two favorites are: Jay Robb chocolate whey Protein Powder and Nature's Best Isopure. I agree with Cheryl, your tastes will probably change after surgery.

I use Body Fortress vanilla Protein powder. It has 30 grams of protein in one scoop. I add it to a plain black iced coffee. It sweetens and lightens it like a French vanilla iced coffee.