Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So scared, someone calm me down

Ok so I'm 2 weeks out. I was healing so nicely then I developed a cold and was sneezing 10 times a day, now I have a cough and am coughing all day long. Now my big incision on the left is killer... Doesn't hurt when I'm still. No pain eating or drinking... Hurts when I try to lay other than my back and really bad when I walk. I've been walking around the mall everyday. Maybe I overdid it? Please tell me I'm gonna be ok. I'm kind of a hypochondriac. I've broken ribs on that side before and it kind of feels like that

To assure that u are ok..I would call your surgeon just in case there is an issue..

I am 3 weeks out and incision hurts if I over do it.

I'm 3.5 weeks out and I still take pain meds for my big incision. It hurts when I go to sit up from laying down, turning, pretty much anything except when I don't move. Hah. I still sleep on my couch cause I can't sleep comfortably in my bed yet.

Funny how fast I've forgotten... but I believe my stitches"popped" around 6 weeks but the pain did get worse for a couple of days just before. Once they popped that was it, pain totally gone like it was never even there. Over doing it can definitely make things worse. It's great that you are so motivated but you're so early out so take it easy and give your body a chance to heal.

I'm sorry you are sick and recovering. BYDT and it's the pits! You haven't damaged your surgery. You are defiantly going to be sore. This is also the time when dissolvable stitches start to dissolve and relax which can be uncomfortable on it's own.

You can try some ice to calm it down. If you have opiate pain medication, take it if your having cough spasm. It will also stop the cough reflex.

I hope you feel better soooooooooon.

Funny how fast I've forgotten... but I believe my stitches"popped" around 6 weeks but the pain did get worse for a couple of days just before. Once they popped that was it, pain totally gone like it was never even there. Over doing it can definitely make things worse. It's great that you are so motivated but you're so early out so take it easy and give your body a chance to heal.

What do you mean the stitches "popped" here's a pic of the large incision. I figured all the staples dissolved cuz it's scabbed. I was literally feeling great then I decided to hit the mall and clean the bathroom. Now I cry just walking from my room to the bathroom

post-88185-0-09786400-1394897676_thumb.jpg

Its just pain. It would be open or have a large red circle around it if there were an issue.

2 weeks out. - walking around the mall everyday. Maybe I overdid it?

Splatt83

glad you were healing so nicely

to me that says when you are over this cold you hopefully will go back to your "normal" recovery process

when you have to cough - hold your side

that will/should give you some support :)

coughing and sneezing

Knock it off!! :lol:

drink plenty of liquids

rest up, take it easy!!!

no cleaning!!!!

call me - i'll scrub the toilets!!!!!

remember you just had major surgery :blink:

probably/maybe walking around the mall isn't a good idea for now

doesn't help your situation

not to mention i don't want your germs!!!! ;)

hypochondriac - "morbid concern for ones health" - don't think thats you

you have valid pain/concerns :wacko:

my side/incisions hurt for about 3 weeks :angry:

i had to change my position at night, sleeping on my other side

think your side pains will then be alleviated

per your request...........

i'm assuring you that you and your cold will be better in a week or so :)

gotta give things time to heal

it gets better everyday

as the used car salesmen would say..........

"would i lie to you??" :D

feel better :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Splatt83 glad you were healing so nicely to me that says when you are over this cold you hopefully will go back to your "normal" recovery process when you have to cough - hold your side that will/should give you some support :) coughing and sneezing Knock it off!! :lol: drink plenty of liquids rest up, who deserves it more? ;) remember you just had major surgery :blink: probably/maybe walking around the mall isn't a good idea for now doesn't help your situation not to mention i don't want your germs!!!! ;) hypochondriac - "morbid concern for ones health" - don't think thats you you have valid pain/concerns :wacko: my side/incisions hurt for about 3 weeks :angry: i had to change my position at night, sleeping on my other side per your request........... i'm assuring you that you and your cold will be better in a week or so :) i think your side pains will then be alleviated gotta give things time to heal it gets better everyday as the used car salesmen would say.......... "would i lie to you??" :D feel better :) kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so much. That does make me feel better. I think whenever I get a pain my brain automatically thinks "LEAK......BUSTED HERNIA....STEPH YOURE DYING,,," lol and since I was feeling so much better now I'm crying, that's where my brain went

Being uncomfortable from coughing and sneezing and walking about is way different from being a bucket of tears from inconsolable pain. Don't minimize the pain to the extent that you neglect the resources of your bariatric team. I would suggest that putting emotions aside, carefully evaluate how bad the pain really is.

Keep in mind that the incision is not just through your skin. The surgeon had to go through the skin and fat and muscle -past nerves and arteries and veins just to get to the stomach. He had to move your liver around and blow up your belly with CO2 and manipulate tools all about in there.

So, yeah, there is a lot that could be sore. The skin incision is your outward indication that healing is going on. I always thought that the human abdomen should have come with a magnifying window so that doctors could see inside. Lacking that, we have to go by how we feel. Anxiety can make pain worse and rob you of your sleep.

My primary physician reminded me to not get "Google-itis" when I do not understand symptoms. I learned that lesson when I thought I injured a muscle in my back by over-exercising. Ben-Gay only made it burn like hot peppers on my eyeballs. So, I called and he said he refuses to diagnose over the phone- I should come in. So, when he saw my back he was gobsmacked. he said "I know what it is just by looking. You have shingles!" Therefore, lesson learned about trying to guess what is going on.

So, I said all of that to say this........I don't think your team will get upset if you call. Follow-up care should be part of your program.

I had similar pains at about 2-3 weeks post op. My doc said it was normal since that is where he removed the stomach. He said I'd feel it more on days when I exert myself more. I'm 5 weeks out now and only feel it occasionally.

What do you mean the stitches "popped" here's a pic of the large incision. I figured all the staples dissolved cuz it's scabbed. I was literally feeling great then I decided to hit the mall and clean the bathroom. Now I cry just walking from my room to the bathroom

The larger incision is stitched to the skin and the muscle and as they dissolve or whatever they sort of pop and separate from the muscle.