Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having difficulty drinking 64 oz fluid along with all the protein?

I had my surgery 2/24/2014. I have luckily not had problem with vomiting, very little nausea. My surgeon progressed me to soft food from full liquid diet 3/6/14. I am having trouble drinking 64 oz Fluid along with eating 4tbsp food 3x/day plus supplemental Protein to get all my intake.

Any suggestions?

7.5 months out and still don't get it all in!

I was told as long as I was drinking my Protein Shakes in and Water I was good, but it is always best to ask your doctor good luck.

Definitely! And I feel like I'm ALWAYS drinking. It's just so hard when you can't drink during those first 90 minutes after each meals and 15 before. This kills a minimum of 6 hours a day, and it takes forever to get those Protein shakes down at times. My PA told me I was OK, since they were able to check my Water levels on one of their fancy machines, which measured in normal range. I might get close to 60 oz. on days I work out, since I drink quite a bit when I'm sweating, but on normal days I'm lucky to hit 48. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm almost 3 1/2 months out, but I can't see getting up to 64 oz before 6 months personally.l My good friend did this surgery 1 year ago and she's still not up to 64.

I am over 10 months out and still don't get the 96 oz the surgeon wants me to drink daily. On a good day I will drink 48 oz (including the Water to make my 2 Protein shakes) and on a bad day I maybe get 24 oz of liquid. I try to sip Water throughout the day, gave up on the "not drinking liquid 30 min before eating" but try not to drink with the meal or the 15 mins after eating (most the time I am so full from the whopping 1/2 cup of protein/veggie combo I couldn't drink anything)

I do know that for me, if I drink too soon after eating, I get hungry sooner than when I wait to drink after a meal or Protein shake. SOOOOO, I try very hard not to drink after eating (or during the one meal a day that isn't a Protein shake) because if I get hungry before its time, I tend to snack on protein and my daily calories creep up which slows the weight loss.

I have tried to drink water when I feel that hunger come on between meals but find myself trying to drink too fast and then I get nauseated. Not sure which is worse, hunger or nausea.