Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My stomach died.

2005 I was banded. I loved my band. I was able to have two healthy children in 2007 and 2009. I got serious about my health and weight in 2010. I hit my goal weight early February 2011. February 12, 2011 my band "slipped" when I tried to eat and I instantly threw up. I knew instantly something was very wrong with my band as the pain was so severe I couldn't walk. I was writhing in pain. 10 out of 10 pain... I had never experienced pain like that before. Ambulance took me to the ER. Dr's ordered a plain X-ray as well as a CT scan. Same radiologist read both scans and reported that there were NO abnormalities. In the X-ray my band was at the base of my stomach.... my stomach was up in my chest, and the band was at 130 degrees NOT the typical 45 degree mark. My stomach had actually prolapsed up through the band and the band was cutting of the blood to my stomach. They tried to send me home. I refused. They transferred me to another hospital hours later, where the doctors also relied on that report of "no abnormalities". But unfortunately my scans weren't sent with me when I was transferred. The next hospital didn't do there own scan for over 24 hours. I had 2 endoscopies while I was there. The first one showed my stomach full of blood and that my tissue looked purple. Second one my tissue was black. I was there for about 37 hours when my vitals all changed. Blood started coming out from my nose and mouth. They rushed me into surgery. I had to have 4 blood transfusions and I almost died. My stomach was black when they opened me up. Dead. 98% of it. 22 staples from my belly button to my sternum. They were barely able to piece me together with a roux en y bypass. I have EXTREME dumping. EARLY AND LATE. I am constantly in the hospital with my blood sugar in the 30's and 40's after I eat. I have reactive hypoglycemia and it's only getting worse. I used to have it fairly under control with my diet.... but it's been getting harder and harder to do. My entire life has changed. I'm scared of food now. I struggle to keep my weight UP now! It's such an emotional roller coaster. I'm very thin now... I typically weigh in at only 115.... and I've been as low as 105. If I had to do it all over.... I would never have been banded. My kids suffer because mommy is too sick. I'm scared to drive because my blood sugar tanks so quickly that I have no warning signs. I'm at risk of seizures and comas when it gets that low. I can't keep a job, since I'm not reliable. I get sick constantly. I'm desperately trying to find a way to afford a service dog that can help scent when my blood sugar is tanking so I can eat sugar and prevent the awful episodes.... but they are extremely expensive and insurance doesn't cover it. I get dizzy, sweaty, my heart pounds, I can't talk or walk, I can't form complete sentences, my tongue, hands and feet go numb, my body basically starts to shut down. I can't eat too much sugar or simple carbs, as they set off these episodes. But if an episode occurs, I have to eat a lot of sugar for my body to get back to normal.... BUT not too much.... or it will send me into another episode. I was only 29 when my band slipped. I just want people to know what can happen. That they know the TRUTH of it all.... and that hopefully the doctors treating us can take it seriously. If they had diagnosed me right away, any surgeon could have removed my band instantly and my stomach wouldn't have died. PLEASE educate yourself before making your choice about weight loss surgery AND make sure you are educated if YOU ARE banded. Most doctors know very little about lap bands... so if you experience a slip, you need to be your own advocate and demand an x-ray, ct scan AND a barium swallow study in real time. THEN you should ask to see the scans yourself and have them explain what they see. Chances are that you will know more about lap bands than the doctors :-( I wish I had educated myself more about the risks, and I wish I had learned that my obesity was much more of an emotional issue for me, rather than a physical issue. If I had only figured out my emotional addiction with food and stuck to diet and exercise...........x-ray.pdf

I am so sorry for your issues. I too was not educated enough when I had my surgery although I thought I was. Thank you for telling your story. It is sure to help someone on here educate themselves further before making this very important decision.

I too have the Roux-en-Y loop . I seem to be okay with it..

Wow...

This is a problem unique to banding: mainstream medical professionals haven't a clue when it comes to our situation. Our bariatric caregivers are generally not available for emergencies, sinçe many of us live far away from them and their office hours/days can be limited.

What people don't understand is that when an organ is cut off from its blood supply, there is very little time to figure out what the problem is before the organ dies.

Did you have a hiatal hernia? This sounds like you did....but I'm only guessing.

Oh...my...god. I have never heard of such an extreme complication. Holy cow. I'm telling you - your story right there would've been enough to have scared me into never getting one in 2007. I wish I never had gotten mine. My journey hasn't been anywhere that bad and I can't wait to get rid of the stupid thing (1 more week).

I'm so sorry to hear of all that you are left to deal with - the aftermath of the damage the band left in its wake. :( I hope you can find some way to be able to cope with the BG instability. Whether that's a service dog or whatever. Best wishes to you. :( I strongly encourage you to keep sharing your story. If even one person could be saved from complications, I'd say it's worth it.

Hang in there. :(

Oh - I did have one question. This would definitely be considered disabling. Have you applied for disability since you can't hold a job? I'm sure there would be some type of grant program out there somewhere that would be able to help you pay for the service dog. FTR, from what I've heard about SSI, they generally deny the first claim across the board. Continue applying and don't give up.

Your story just really got to me. Perhaps www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org ? And perhaps you could try gofundme.com . There are lots of options that can be at least tried. I hope you can find something.

I'm so sorry to read this happened to you. I feel so badly for you. You made a huge decision thinking it would restore your health, get you to a good weight, etc...and then this nightmare!

I feel very lucky that I live 15 minutes from the hospital and the bariatric service that did my lapband. Your story really underscores that it is essential to know where the nearest and most-informed bariatric practice is should an emergency situation arise.

Again, I'm so sorry you are living this, after thinking that this option would be the one to bring you back to health.

Kelly Ruff

I am so very sorry that this occurred to you the point to make in ALL of this is like you said, Most of the time WE as patient's Know more about a Band than some Dr's, ER personnel and radiologist's.

Too often all the tests that are done and come back and the patient is told the band is "fine" IMHO I believe that they don't know what their looking for, or what to expect unfortunately it's true of all of the WLS.

Hoping you get what you need to LIVE and that things get better for you *HUGS*

@@Kelly Ruff God bless! I'm praying for your well being.

Bandarella - I did not have a hiatal hernia. My stomach simply prolapsed up through the band. It was a classic "slip"... only thing is that mine was a big slip. When it slipped, it pushed my stomach up into my chest. I could breath just fine. I just couldn't swallow anything... including my own saliva.

Thank you for all of your kind words! This has been a very difficult and trying time.... but I'm very passionate about letting people know, so they can be informed and I can only pray that the standard of care for banded patients will be RAISED in the medical community!!

As far as some of the other comments.... I have applied for disability, but due to the fact that I was self employed for so long I don't qualify.

Thank you Steph_co!! As soon as I'm done typing this I'm going to look up the links you shared! I really appreciate any and all suggestions!!

Owwww! For our information, did they tell you why or how this happened? Other than the immediate pain, were there other symptoms? Did the slip occur immediately or over time? Not trying to place blame, just so we might know more in the event someone else comes to the forum with similar symptoms? This is about as bad as it can get.imo

tmf

BTW-What a beautiful family you have!

Edited by 2muchfun

As far as I can tell, and from what the doctors have told me, I believe the slip happened quickly. One minute I was fine, and the next I was on the floor. They do not know why it happened.... and the only answers I have from experts are that slips can "just occur". I haven't been given any real answers as to why :-(

OMG - I am praying that you are able to get your service dog soon, or barring that, hopefully there will be a solution to your blood sugar issues. Can they reverse-engineer an insulin pump to do the opposite and help stabilize you by pumping glucose into your system to help your levels? I cannot even imagine dealing with all you've had to go through.

Your case should be detailed in the medical journals and used as a teaching point for EVERY bariatric surgeon - heck, every Emergency Room across the country! How could they not see that the band had slipped badly and was now cutting off the blood supply to your stomach? I'm sitting here shaking my head sadly - I know hindsight is 20/20, but dang...someone should have seen this.

I'm happy I haven't had any complications from my lap band (banded in 2008), but I'm so sorry all of this has happened to you.