Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been reading threads and a few mention stuck food ...I know everyone is different and I'm sure at some point it will happen but if you have had something stuck what happens???? What foods and what's best to avoid...???

I've been stuck four times. For me there is a pain in the solar plexus area that won't stop until I can spit up the food from my pouch. Sometimes this is preceded by violent hiccups. I've learned to look out for rubbery foods -- anything I can't chew up really well (had an episode with cold fish right out of fridge and another with mushrooms) -- or super slippery foods like beets. I've been stuck twice on steamed beets and think they just slide down too fast or something. Now I can detect a slight sensation in my chest before everything goes too far -- yesterday, for example, reheated chicken curry. Many people report difficulty with chicken but this was a lovely dish I had no problems with the night before. I think it was the reheating that did it. But no episode, just one bite and I knew it would not work. When the band says no it's no!

Bands can be finicky. One day you might be able to eat something, the next NOPE! I've been stuck twice. When you see people talking about having PB's that's productive burping. You start to produce extra saliva also called slimming. The pain in your chest is horrible and the only way to stop the episode is to get the food out of your pouch. I've seen people say they drink to try to make it go down or they take a sip of soda, but I personally wouldn't recommend that. I am still considered a newbie, though! LOL :)

I agree with Bandista once you get in tune with your body/band you will know pretty much by the first bite if its going to go down or not.

Just try to remember small, slow and well chewed bites will help prevent stuck episodes. I try to wait to feel each bite go threw my band before taking another bite.

Each day is different. Some days, nothing sticks. I had a mild stuck episode this morning with turkey sausage and an egg. 3 minutes to let the feeling pass and I was OK. I'm tuned into what's happening down there just under my sternum, and when I get the slightest bit of pressure I know I've eaten too fast or too much at once. I allow that food to pass and then continue eating but I do slow down.

There are other stuck episodes that are much rougher. These are the ones where I chewed too little and ate too big. Hasn't happened for quite a while but this can happen with a dry bit of chicken, or a flour tortilla that isn't chewed well, or I ate too big. These can plug me up for up to an hour and the episode is quite uncomfortable.

But, like I say and others have said, it's a day to day watch to monitor how finicky ms band is going to be that day.

tmf

Absolutely as said. It's not always the same foods. Most of the time with me, it's more the how and not the what. If I'm very careful, it doesn't happen. But like 2muchfun said, if I get the sense that its about to happen, I pause and let it pass. Sometimes, I take it as an omen and sometimes I feel I can continue to eat after it passes. It just depends. on what it is I've eaten and if I've eaten it before.

bread is a big no no for me

When I get something stuck, I usually have a pain in my chest & I start sliming. The saliva in my mouth gets so thick that I can barely swallow it. When this happens, I know what's stuck has to come up. If I don't start sliming, I can usually tolerate the chest pain & get the food to pass through my band on its own. I do not recommend drinking Water if you have something stuck. This has NOT been a successful practice for me. Of course, everyone is different.

I have particular trouble with raw veggies, cooked mushrooms & certain types of rice. I think that's about all in terms of specific foods. I can also have a stuck episode if I eat too quickly & swallow something too big to pass through the band. In this case, it could be ANY food.< /p>

Thanks all, just trying to take everything in as much as I can and prepare for anything that happens. So good to chat to people that have experience, thank you