Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux and major GI issues and stomach pain

I had my surgery seven years ago and for the past three years I developed major gi issues, every year I'm getting a colo and endo done, I have bad acid reflux I'm taking Zantac twice a day and tums, my stomach is sour, anything I eat or drink comes right out my rear end, I have no solid stool strictly watery I'm finding myself eating a lot and at times throwing up because I have thyroids I'm gaining weight, I'm in and out the hospital on iv for stomach pain they give me dilotting, my gi doctor took every test on me and everything is negative, I was thinking about removing the band and opting for the sleeve, i tried just liquids and that just sit on my chest even when Fluid is removed, my acid reflux gotten worse and I take protonix for my stomach for the pain, do I really need the band out, I'm gaining weight can't lose no more.

my understanding of the sleeve is that gi trouble is exerbated. you will have the same problem. but with everything you have described I think your doctor and you should be discussing your options. your insurance has a lot to say as well. I wish you lots of luck and well being.

You need to see a bariatric doctor, ASAP! It sounds like you have either a slip and or erosion. I am not a doctor, but you should not have these problems, best of luck. Karen

I have had my lap band in for 10 years and just this year I started experiencing horrible acid reflux. My doctor also put me on Zantac and then Dexilant. That worked for a few months but I was still bloating and lots of gas pain. I finally had a emptying test done and found out that I have "gastro paresis". This is where the food in your stomach sits there and does not empty out. They put me on Reglan and that seems to work for awhile but I cant stand being on a liquid diet that I have just recently put on 20 lbs. (ugh). Finally my lap band surgeon took out my fill and it seems to have subsided. Its been 2 weeks and no more medication. I see my lap band surgeon next week and I'm hoping to get my fill back in so I can get the weight off if not we are going to talk about moving over to the sleeve but I don't think my insurance will pay for it? Holding my fingers to see.

Had my lapband in Oct 2009. After a 100 loss and 2 1/2 yrs later, I started having severe nightime reflux. Was scared my dr would take out some of my fill so I just suffered. Finally after 4 mths my hubby talked me into going in. My band had slipped. They took out about 50% of my 10cc fill (14cc band) and no more reflux. So they started filling me 1cc at a time. At 2cc, the reflux began again. So they took out the previous 1cc they gave me and told me it was now up to me. My band was done with it's work.

About 6 mths later, I was in the ER with extreme upper abdominal pain. I was taking 40 mg of Rx Prilosec 2x a day, OTC Zantac x 4 and Tums like candy. After my CT, the determined my band had herniated, about the worst "slip" u can have. Had an emergency total unfill and arranged for my sleeve revision 9 mths ago.

U need to have the reflux checked out. I'm assuming that they've ruled out a slip? My primary care told me if left untreated, reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. It needs to be fixed, whatever u decide to do. So, so, so happy I had my revision. While I'll most likely be on PPI's forever (most sleeve patients are), I no longer vomit on a regular basis.

Good luck to u!

Hi Marfar, I also, had my surgery in Oct 2009. After a revision in Nov 2011, I have never been able to lose. I gradually gained but my surgeon is not worried. I used to have reflux, but since my last fill(of .02 cc)I no longer get reflux. I am not sure why. I have good restriction, tho'. Best wishes to you all with reflux. Karen

Hello,

Recently, I have been burping alot after I eat and sometimes before I eat. I admit, I have been eating mostly what I want but not as much as I could. I am thinking about going liquid for at least two meals. The gas is painful and the burping is irritating. I always feel bloated for the most part. I moved away from my doctor that installed my band and going to a local doctor for fills but I think I need to see if I have slippage. Please advise.

I for my band in 2008 and lost 121 lbs. had a baby in 2011 and all the issues started. 24/7 acid reflux, couldn't keep food or liquid down. Went thru many test to see what was going on. Only time i didn't have issues is when we emptied my band. So on 6/18 I got my band out and revision to the sleeve. I'm now 3 weeks out and boy what a difference. No acid reflux and it feels good to keep down food.

I would talk to your dr about what is going on so they can see what is happening with your band and then together you guys can figure out what needs to be done