Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last time I was in to see my doctor, I mentioned to her that I had been eating the Progresso Light Soups because they were so good and so low in calories and they seemed to satisfy me. She warned against them saying they were considered 'slider food'. I slowed way down in eating them but it got me wondering why if Soup is a slider food why isn't my Protein Shake or my high Protein yogart considered slider foods. That's what I eat every morning for Breakfast and the doctor has no problem with that. Any ideas on what the difference is?

Protein shakes and yogurt are slider foods but the Protein in them is high. Soup is definitely a slider as it doesn't take much effort on your part to eat it. We need the protein but eating soup also lets you eat and drink at the same time. At this point I would say have more filling Proteins then soup.

Yes, and other things like crackers, ice cream, and a lot of things are slider foods. :angry:

I'm with the ladies on this one. It's all about the Protein. I know its good to question the "why" but please remember your doctors really do know what they are talking about. Listening to them will be a major key to your success. Next time I would even suggest you ask your Dr./Nurse why. I know having an open line of communication with my PA and Dr. has been invaluable to me.

Best of luck!

Protein shakes are slider foods but most doctors are okay with you having them because they are high in Protein (as mentioned) and because most people have them in the morning when the band is often the tightest and for some people, protein shakes/greek yogurt are all they can tolerate that early in the day.

Soups, while low in calories, aren't high in protein & won't satisfy you as long as a high protein food. Protein Shakes are better than soups BUT dense lean meats are better than Protein Shakes.< /p>

I'm one of the few who can still eat regular food in the morning. If I drank a shake or ate yogurt I'd be starving by 10 am. shakes and yogurt are slider foods for me. If you ever find you're hungry before lunch, you too might find shakes are a slider food.

I do find that there are days on end where my band is tighter than normal and I too fall back on Progresso for my nutrition. But I still find myself hungry by 4 pm.

Thanks for the insight. I give up the Soup and find something better for lunch. I usually shift between tuna and soup. I get a chicken salad or something. I do ask the doctor why and she said the soup was like drinking and eating at the same time but the Protein shake/yogart questions popped in my mind later. Thanks again for the feedback.

I'm one of the few who can still eat regular food in the morning. If I drank a shake or ate yogurt I'd be starving by 10 am. shakes and yogurt are slider foods for me. If you ever find you're hungry before lunch, you too might find shakes are a slider food.

I do find that there are days on end where my band is tighter than normal and I too fall back on Progresso for my nutrition. But I still find myself hungry by 4 pm.

The Soup was a slider because it's full of sodium, carbs and it doesn't stay in your system long. Other sliders for me: Cereal (hot or cold) and the norm - milk shakes, chocolate, Cookies...everything that got us fat to begin with.