Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not sticking with my pre op diet and my surgery is on March 20th

lynz - I don't know what your pre-op diet consists of, but mine was pretty easy. Even so, I wasn't sticking to it closely. I was given 1,200 calories per day; low carb, lower fat. The first 2-3 days I didn't follow it, and on the 4th day I was standing in the kitchen and had a total panic attack. I was thinking....OMG, I'm having major surgery in less than two weeks, and I'm already not following orders. I freaked out, and it totally reeled me back in. Even so, I think I ate more like 1,400 calories a day, but it was healthy food; no fast or junk food. I lost 5 pounds before surgery, and because I'm smaller around the middle, and my BMI wasn't off the charts, my doctor wasn't too concerned.

Now, coming up on a year post-op, I've done very well and follow the rules most of the time. It's such a huge life change in our eating world, and sometimes it can be frustrating. Please do as others above recommend......call your doctor ASAP and let him know what's going on. If you've totally tossed the pre-op out the window, then you might not be ready to go through this. Believe me, as much as pre-op sucks, it's only a fraction of what's to come. You've got a long road ahead, so you need to be sure that you're emotionally ready.

And lastly..... Don't beat yourself up too badly. As tmf said, many people weren't angels with their pre-op diets. I'm not saying this to give you a false sense of "it's okay". Just that you are not alone. But just make sure that you're truly ready for the huge life change. It's worth it, but only if you really ready.

Edited by mrsto

I am hoping that starting today (with 9 days left) my doctor will be ok with it because of the fact that I too do not have an extremely high BMI and my liver was not to fatty he will still do it...I am praying ???? it is not to late bye if he has to postpone it another week I am ready to commit thanks to all of your feedback here!!! I am so grateful for all your words of wisdom????

Glad to hear the update. You got this!! :)

You can do it! !! I'm getting so excited. ... My band date is Monday. Ready!

Lynz, you got this!! If you want it bad enough you can do it! I am happy with all the advice and encouragement you got here. It is tough but it must be done. This is the first challenge to a new lifestyle. How you handle this challenge sets the bar to how successful you can be.

I got a real wake up call yesterday for sure...I either had food poisoning or a stomach virus...was so sick (still sick but not as bad) it made me think this was a sign to be and stay serious about sabotaging myself with food....right now I never want to eat????

Well, best wishes to you! You can do it, if you want to. Have you had a psych visit? My surgeon's office requires one, also a nutritionist. It helps to find out why you are self sabotaging. .

Well, best wishes to you! You can do it, if you want to. Have you had a psych visit? My surgeon's office requires one, also a nutritionist. It helps to find out why you are self sabotaging. .

karen ,,,,what i loved reading on your post was this

*You can do it, if you want to*

If you can't stick to the post op, how will you adjust after surgery? What I did was do one week of my post op well before I was approved just to see if I was ready to be fully committed. And I did it. There is a reason the pre op diet is given, I really hope you can overcome food temptations. Best of luck.

Tomika

Date was postponed to May 29th for other reasons...I am now on board with my pre op diet and teaching myself to chew chew chew and eat slow????????????

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches