Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Patients with Starting BMI over 50

Hello all,

I'm 50 years old and finally decided its time to seek weight loss surgery after a life time of yo-yo dieting. I have had periods of success, losing over 100lbs twice on weight watchers. I'm active and do Water aerobics 3-5 times per week. I generally make healthy choices I just am a bulk eater so I'm consuming too many calories.

I give this background because although I've done the research and for so many reasons feel the sleeve is the best choice for me, my surgeon tells me that research shows with my BMI of 60 that bypass is a better procedure due to the lack of absorption of caloric nutrients. Well that's one of the things that bothers me. I want to obtain the nutrients from what I eat and feel like having the ability to feel full and satisfied much sooner will be enough for me to be successful with continued exercise and smaller portions.

The surgeon will ultimately do whichever surgery I choose but has told me I might have to come back for the bypass sometime down the road which of course I don't want to do.

Anyone who had a similar experience or can offer advice is greatly appreciated especially if you're a sleeve patient with a starting BMI of over 50.

Thank You and I'm glad to be here.

I started with a BMI of 60 as well (okay, 59.9, but who's counting). My surgeon thought I'd do very well with either surgery but he did point out that I'd have to be extra committed and compliant with the sleeve since I would not get the caloric malabsorption that comes with bypass.

I have lost 160 lbs overall and 105 lbs since my surgery 8 months ago. I still have a ways to go but I continue to lose weight and anticipate hitting my goal maybe in the late summer. It was a great choice for me.

Oh and I am about your age as well.

Edited by Bufflehead

Hello Cathy,

I did not have a starting BMI over 50, but there is a forum here:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/420-200-pounds/

for users looking to lose over 200 pounds. Perhaps you can browse through these threads.

I was right at a BMI of 40 and lost 120 pounds with the sleeve before I went into maintenance mode. (I actually lost 140, but that was too low for me so I put 20 back on) I truly believe if you are dedicated to the journey and the guidelines, anyone can lose 100% of their excess weight with VSG no matter what their starting BMI is.

Good luck with your research!

Hi Cathy,

I started with a BMI of 54 & now I'm down to 52 (thanks to my self-imposed diet & exercise). I am hoping to be below 50 by the time of surgery (maybe next month?), but I'm not sure. My surgeon only requires a 2 day clear liquid diet prior to the day of surgery. My surgeon discussed RNY & VSG with me, and told me she thought either procedure would work for me. She also advised me that I may have to come in again for a revision to RNY if certain medical conditions ccur.

Ultimately, I had to decide what was best for me. I decided on the sleeve precisely because I'm afraid of the difficulties caused by malabsorption, dumping, etc.

I have committed to myself, my fiancee, & my Maker to adhere 100% to all medical team's orders- from the surgeon down to the program coordinator, nutritionist, & psychologist. I feel like 100% compliance seems to be the way that the most successful sleevers achieve their WL goals. Good luck with everything!

Sarah

Thank you for this my doctor has said the same thing and I dont want the bypass due to the malabsorption that comes with it. I am 26 and am also a bulk eater and feel that I will do fine with more restriction... my bmi is 58.9 and need to lose 176 lbs to be to my goal wieght of 165 witch he said should be lower but I dont want to be skin and bones lol... I think if you have this tool and use it and do what you know you have to then the sky is the limit>>>

My doctor showed studies that showed that VSG patients on the average are 2-3% lower than RNY patients over 1 yr and 3 yrs. The numbers get closer after that. I was approx. 53 BMI and dr rec. VSG because of the lower complications, very similar short term and medium term results, and he believes due to lower Grehlin the VSG may be more effective long term. The bottom line is that either procedure is just a tool and you will do fine with either tool as long as you follow the program. I love the sleeve because I have no nausea, no dumping and feel great.

Thank you all so much for your feedback I'm so glad I posted and that I'm seeing that you all have received positive results. Abry let's keep in close contact since we're on a similar journey. I initially told my doc I would go with his recommendation but after agonizing over it I finally emailed him and said I want the sleeve. MegaBob thanks for the stats my doc is showing different ones????

Sarah, my sentiments exactly. Not interested in malabsorption and dumping. I don't typically eat high suger or high fat foods so I don't need this motivator thank you very much. I Also want to keep my pyloric valve in tact and not have a non functioning stomach left inside me.

My bmi was 56 lost 155 in 8 months and mat. for 7 months would not like rearanged inside smaller was my choice and am happy. Have friend with RNY and wishes he had Sleeve I have had way less problems than he did.