Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trial run of preop diet?

I am so close to having everything done! I did the 6 month supervised diet, psych eval, EGD...pretty much everything except for the PCP letter of support (waiting on an old medical record to get there...any day now!) Now that I'm almost there, I'm stressing about the preop diet. Postop is no big deal since my stomach will be a lot smaller (obviously). My stomach can hold a LOT of food and I worry that I won't be able to handle a whole week of just full liquids without breaking down and bingeing.

I decided to do a week-long trial run of the preop diet. If I can handle that, while knowing I'm under no obligation to, I can handle 2 weeks of a doctor-ordered diet with the surgery as the prize, right? Has anyone else done this? How did it go?

I could not do a trial run.... well, actually I thought about it, but could only do it for a little less than a day. That said, when it came time to do the pre-op diet, I didn't have any problems sticking to it, since I had a definite deadline, and pretty severe consequences if I didn't stick to it.

I had a couple of food funerals just before I got started...lol.

I am now 12 days post-op, and am pretty tired of the full liquid diet I'm on. Even though my stomach is much smaller and holds only a few ounces, my head tells me I want/deserve what I ate before. I don't get hungry though, so it is pretty easy to ignore that head hunger, once I drink my fill.

I didn't do it, but it can't hurt. It will definitely make things easier. I don't know what your pre op diet is like, mine was 4 Protein Shakes a day plus Clear Liquids. It was tough! If you haven't already, I would find a Protein Drink that you like. For RTD shakes, I like Ensure Protein Plus and Musclemilk. For powders, I love Syntrax Nectar, I have the chocolate and the Cookies kind, I also have the lemonade, but I don't like that as much. Also, I was a huge diet coke drinker before my pre op diet and kept drinking it until the day before my diet started, and because of that I had a major caffeine headache the 1st day! If you are a big soda or coffee drinker (although I was told I could have decaf) I would try to cut back just to spare yourself the awful headaches! Good luck!

I rarely drink caffeine now. I used to be a big soda/coffee/tea drinker and I knew it would be a problem if I didn't wean myself slowly. Now, all I drink is Water and herbal tea. I'm allowed Protein drinks, cottage cheese, light or Greek yogurt, broth, decaf coffee or tea, low sodium Tomato or V8, Cream of Wheat or farina, sugar-free pudding, cream Soups, milk (2% or less), sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, and at least 64 ounces of Water. It's got enough variety to keep me interested (I hope). And I hope it keeps me full, too.

I'm not gonna lie the pre-op diet is rough because we are still hungry and everyone is eating all these foods you still want. But after 3-4 days you get used to it and the headaches got better, and for me, I would be full before being done with the shakes. I had a really upset tummy on the pre-op shakes. My body cleansed all that junky fat out!

My pre-op diet was all Protein shakes because of a milk allergy about 900 calories. 3 days before surgery it was all clear fluids and broth about 450 calories.

Edited by mamaplumlee

Nepagirl your pre-op diet sounds like heaven compared to my 4 gross shakes a day made with water!! Had to buy the gross shakes from the drs office and Clear Liquids only..it's been the hardest 8 days of my life. I wouldn't "try" a pre-op diet, I'd only do it if my dr makes me lol can't wait till Tuesday for surgery!

Today is my first day of my pre-op diet. I want to eat, I have a head ache and an feeling very alone tonight. Chin up, I'm telling myself. These days will go by fast. This is making me truly reflect, is food part of my happiness or eating it?

Today is my first day of my pre-op diet. I want to eat, I have a head ache and an feeling very alone tonight. Chin up, I'm telling myself. These days will go by fast. This is making me truly reflect, is food part of my happiness or eating it?

How long is your pre-op diet?

Don't feel alone, we've all had to go through it, or are going to have to go through it. Most of us anyway. I've been through it, had the surgery, and am still on full liquids until Tuesday when I graduate to pureed foods. After the surgery, the wanting is still there, but for me at least, the hunger is not. That makes it so much easier to let my tummy heal before I give in to eating what I'd like to eat.

U can do it .. Probably sugar withdrawel headache.. I had it this am ... I actually enjoy the diet after a couple days and realize i get more done because im not eating as much