Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipped and unfilled

Great news.

I think I may have a slippage as well, I had a rib out of algnment that was put back in place by my chiro. About 2 weeks later I have been having what feels like stomach spasms, I can eat fine, no reflux just some back pain along with the spasms.

What is the process if the band has slipped?

I think I may have a slippage as well, I had a rib out of algnment that was put back in place by my chiro. About 2 weeks later I have been having what feels like stomach spasms, I can eat fine, no reflux just some back pain along with the spasms.

What is the process if the band has slipped?

Lucky you, this sounds nothing like a slip. Don't worry about a slip. If you have reflux, severe eating problems or gastro pain see your surgeon. Otherwise see an orthopedic M.D. and not quack-o-practor. jmo ofcourse.

Edited by 2muchfun

so far so good. The plication appears to be doing well and it might get me through the rough spots. I haven't gained any weight and I am back out walking 2 miles plus a day. I am feeling much better. I do miss my band and I am very sad that it is gone. I had done a lot of research and I was sold on the band. I guess it was just not in the cards for me to keep it. The doctor said I had had a "significant slip" and that almost 1/3 my stomach had come up through the band. With all the Vomiting the stomach became swollen and well, there was no way it was going to go back down and behave. The blood I was throwing up was the lining of my stomach and the part that was through the band was going to die if he did not remove the band. Scary stuff !!! So, I move on - bandless - but still with plication (thank heavens). I am still getting weekly shots of B12 and B1 as I was very run down. But, I have to look on the bright side - 124 fat, ugly, unhealthy pounds are gone. I need to maintain and loose a few more but keep up the good, healthy habits I got over the past 2 1/2 yrs. My knees thank me every day..I can do this..I hope..

Melinda in Florida

Great to hear that the plication is going to be sufficient. I have plication as well and hoped this would be the case

What other symptoms were you having that made you think your band had slipped?

I never "thought" my band had slipped. For about a month I had terrible reflux..The doctor removed some of the Fluid and the reflux improved. He began to add Fluid back and the reflux returned. He took it out again. I had about 5cc in a 10 cc band at that point (I had my band 2 1/2 yrs). Then that last week. I was terribly hungry. Not enough food to make me happy, my left shoulder hurt real bad (almost like a pinched nerve type pain) and I had some discomfort in my upper abdomen. Still, I did not think about slippage. I am 63 yrs old - It could have been anything, the band was the last thing I thought it was. Then on 4/24 I started feeling stick to my stomach, could not eat or drink anything (not even ice chips) and by afternoon, I was vomiting. That night vomit turned into blood and that continued until rescue took me to the ER. I had nothing to eat or drink for 48 hrs and was vomiting - to say I was too weak to walk was an understatement. As I said before, I got real sick real fast. The new surgeon told me that my band could have slipped some time ago..I just didn't know it and the flouroscopes did not show it. I really can't explain it. Just, if you have crazy pain in crazy places and begin to vomit..see your doctor.

I am sad to report that the plication may be helping but not enough as I have now gained almost 9 pounds in the 6 weeks since my surgery. As hard as I try, it keeps coming on. I am still walking, working out and logging my food but the fat wants to win. The doctor says to give it some more time and things should calm down and the weight will come back off. It is still so upsetting and we all know what happens when people get upset - they EAT...what a merry-go-round this is...

Melinda in Florida

I never "thought" my band had slipped. For about a month I had terrible reflux..The doctor removed some of the Fluid and the reflux improved. He began to add fluid back and the reflux returned. He took it out again. I had about 5cc in a 10 cc band at that point (I had my band 2 1/2 yrs). Then that last week. I was terribly hungry. Not enough food to make me happy, my left shoulder hurt real bad (almost like a pinched nerve type pain) and I had some discomfort in my upper abdomen. Still, I did not think about slippage. I am 63 yrs old - It could have been anything, the band was the last thing I thought it was. Then on 4/24 I started feeling stick to my stomach, could not eat or drink anything (not even ice chips) and by afternoon, I was vomiting. That night vomit turned into blood and that continued until rescue took me to the ER. I had nothing to eat or drink for 48 hrs and was vomiting - to say I was too weak to walk was an understatement. As I said before, I got real sick real fast. The new surgeon told me that my band could have slipped some time ago..I just didn't know it and the flouroscopes did not show it. I really can't explain it. Just, if you have crazy pain in crazy places and begin to vomit..see your doctor. I am sad to report that the plication may be helping but not enough as I have now gained almost 9 pounds in the 6 weeks since my surgery. As hard as I try, it keeps coming on. I am still walking, working out and logging my food but the fat wants to win. The doctor says to give it some more time and things should calm down and the weight will come back off. It is still so upsetting and we all know what happens when people get upset - they EAT...what a merry-go-round this is... Melinda in Florida

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. I was just wondering, if the plication is not enough, are you going to be able to get your insurance to pay for a different weight-loss surgery?

that's what i'm worried about short and chunky, i have no symptoms right now but the last few days i've been really queazy. not throwing up just feel like i could. i can eat a little and keep it down but know it's not enough cause my energy level has decreased big time. i'm still working out with trainer but having a hard time with my stamina. i just got the approval letter for the band removal, duh, like they're not going to approve that but still waiting to see if they're going to approve the sleeve. if not, i've decided i'm going to pay for it myself. i'm so tired of feeling sick and swollen stomach all the time.

I'm not sure if I have a slippage, but the last few days I've felt pain in my chest and nausia. I even had a little acid reflux yesterday. My last fill was 3 months ago. I think I was at 6cc on that fill. I stuck with liquids all day yesterday too until evening I had some mashed potatoes and a little dressing.

I go to the doctor this morning, so I guess I'll find out. I'm nervous. I don't want to get unfilled...I'm already not losing any weight right now :-/ I've been physcially unable to do much of any activity, so...

imashazza: It may not be a slip, you may just be too tight. Glad you are heading to the doctor..that is the right place to go. I hope everything comes out OK for you. You may get an unfill or a slight unfill but it is better than a slip and having to have your band removed. Good luck today and keep us posted.

Melinda in Florida

Thinking of getting band removed. I have had it since 2009 and lost a total of 35 lbs. with vomiting, GERD, Scheduled for throat barium fluor. next week. Any thoughts?

I started getting fills again after my band slipped . I have not lost any weight . I was 172 before they took the Fluid out , and now I'm 209. I eat my three meals no Snacks and workout 5 days a week .....including weight training. I went from a woman's size 18 to a misses size 12 or 14 depending on the cut. This is really depressing ......I think the band has stop working for me. Before the slip my band was 7cc now it's at 6.25 , and I'm not filling much restriction. I feel like all the weight is slowly coming back with a vengeance . I'm lost :( Please help !!!

Edited by tonifrdabronx

Also I'm always bloated for no reason.....this crazy cause it didn't happen before . I do drink Water and stay away from carbonated drinks at all times