Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did you have problems sleeping afterwards?! I don't know what is going on but I'm 1 week post op and for the last 4 days, I fall asleep, stay asleep for about an hour, then I wake up and cannot fall asleep for hours. Last night I was exhausted, slept for 45mins then was awake until 5:15am! Not sure why?! Getting less than 3 hrs of sleep each night!

If you did have problems sleeping post-op, how did u remedy it?

I have struggled with sleep problems for years, but yours are really bad! Are you taking any medications for pain or anything else that is "new" post surgery? Have you added anything with caffeine in it? The surgery is a big trauma to your body, but usually that would cause you to sleep MORE not less! If this lasts for another day or two I think you need to touch base with your surgeon. Another thought - the first week your body is getting rid of all the anesthesia drugs - maybe this is a side effect of those drugs?

I slept ok not great right after surgery but I was also on hydrocodone that the dr gave me so getting.sleepy wasn't an issue. I am sure you dr can write you a script for some liquid ambian. Put a call in to the DR and let him know. You have to rest to heal.

Yes, I had and still have trouble sleeping. I was sleeved on 2-3. I am in a little different boat bc I had complications and was in the hospital for 6 days in the ICU. Anyway, I came home with a Bpap machine, definitely couldn't/can't sleep. My PCP prescribed Xanax but I flipped out on it, now I'm on liquid vistlik and that helps. Last night , I decided to go to sleep without it, was sleeping great until my sick little boy woke me up. Now we are n the ER, so I won't be getting a good night again tonight. Hopefully soon I will sleep without meds. That's my hope :)

I remember feeling weak and tired all the time for the first 2 weeks, and I napped a lot. At night I had a hard time feeling comfortable in bed, so I fortified my recliner with soft blankets and a heating pad. Then if I couldn't sleep well, I always had late night info-mercials to lull me to a state of semi-consciousness. :) Hopefully your doc. can give you a little something to take the edge off as you get over the hump.

For the first 3 1/2 weeks id be up all night and sleep into the afternoon I hate it so much. Good thing I was on med leave from work.

I have struggled with sleep problems for years, but yours are really bad! Are you taking any medications for pain or anything else that is "new" post surgery? Have you added anything with caffeine in it? The surgery is a big trauma to your body, but usually that would cause you to sleep MORE not less! If this lasts for another day or two I think you need to touch base with your surgeon. Another thought - the first week your body is getting rid of all the anesthesia drugs - maybe this is a side effect of those drugs?

Only thing new I'm taking is an antacid and an anti nausea. I have a follow up with surgeon in Monday so I will def bring it up with him.

For the first 3 1/2 weeks id be up all night and sleep into the afternoon I hate it so much. Good thing I was on med leave from work.

I've been on leave as of this Friday for 2 weeks, I have to go back to work Monday for financial reasons, otherwise I might stay out longer :(

This seems to be the pattern I'm in as well. Spoke to the NUT today about it and she suggested sleepy time tea, or even tylenol pm. Forgot to buy the tea and not ready to take another med right now, so hoping this will flip back around soon. Thankfully off work for another couple weeks, but still get up to get the kiddo to school and hubby's alarm goes off at 3:30am so I need to get right side up pretty soon. Should be sleeping now, laid there an hour and got up. :rolleyes:

I still am not sleeping like I was. I was sleeved on 2-12. the first week was the worst. I also have mild sleep apnea and my o2 was really low during the hospital at points.. My inability to sleep for the first week was more from being scared since I had to sleep on my back and i normally sleep on my stomach. I am not finally sleeping about 6 hours at a time, still not great but better than it was.